Anyone else in the country notice more fly tipping ?

BBH

Visit site
This morning I was feeding my ponies about half six when we all jumped cos of a large bang. Looked up and there bold as brass was white van man tipping rubbish all down a grassy bank :mad:

I wasn't close enough to get a registration and the van had no logo's so nothing I could do to report him.

Twice now i've also called the council to collect old sofa's and plumber type rubbish from a track the highways agency use.

This people make me sick.

spike123

Visit site
If it is happening on numerous occassions report it to the Environment agency and they will set up surveillance to stop it happening again,along with large fines for anyone they manage to catch in the act.
It has been happening a fair bit near to us.We often find old tyres along the lane stacked up in piles of 2 or 3.They get reported to the council who promptly come to collect them.We suspect in this case they are probably of ***** origin and get paid by local garages to collect the tyres for alot less than they would have to pay to dispose of them properly and then proceed to just dump them wily nily about the countryside.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Yep! Our roads used to be ideal for taking youngsters out on.....nice and quiet, little or no traffic etc. Now they are inhabited by packs of horse-killing monsters - ie bedsteads, mattresses, garden furniture, TVs and of course hoards of flapping plastic bags. Even my 21 year old hunter is a pain on his own on the roads now.........on his toes in anticipation of what is lurking in the hedgerow/ditch and then having major hysteria at any and every object that shouldn't be there. Road work is no longer enjoyable, let alone fun. :mad:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Reason is they get charged to dump it and have to have a licence and the type of person who does the dumping has neither the licence nor willingness to pay and in some cases not even registered as a proper business.

Its not helped by the fact that if they dump it on private land, the poor old landowner has to pay to sort it out

At our old place the travellers from the site down the road would openly block each end of the lane with a transit and then the third one would tip happy in the knowledge that there could be no eye witness, and no eye witness, no chance of prosecuting.

Cameras sound like a good idea but sadly they stole that too within 3 days, use it now as a security camera for their trotting stallion who never comes out of his box :-((

When hacking I found an ice cream cabinet, lots of cars, and a hospital car park pay and display machine. No wire, only the rubber casing, they were too busy flogging the copper - sadly the trains didnt run that day as it was all from the railway line....

I do think that the snow makes it worse, people chuck stuff out and know it will be covered by snow, they seem to think it will never re-emerge.

I think litter penalties need to get a lot stronger, and like no car tax, if caught the vehicle should be seized on the spot. Its just about the most anti social thing IMO.

edited to add people should bear in mind that if they employ these scum for jobs on their house or garden without checking they have a waste licence, and the waste gets dumped, THEY can be hit with a massive fine, so bear that in mind John Smith gives the cheapest quote to take away that rubble or the leylandii, especially if John Smith has only a mobile number for contact. Look up his address too, and drive out to see whether hes operating from a proper premises.

Last edited:

BBH

Visit site
Is the answer just not to charge a license fee at the municipal tip then because allowing people to use the legitimate tip would surely be cheaper than having to send trucks to individual sites to clear up the fly tipped stuff, then pay investigators to track who did it, then prosecution costs etc etc.

Just seems that some of it could easily be remedied.

midi

Visit site
Ugh I know I saw about 4 black bags of rubbish today chucked to the side, it's disgusting I don't understand it at all :(

maisieblu

Visit site
On the way home from yard Saturday afternoon, passed the gate entrance way of a large field waiting for re-development, often stuff dumped, [have retrieved some very useful pallets there!] and it was clear.
Early Sunday morning was a large ..............BOAT!!!, on its side, 12 or 15 foot long, was actually in the famers field [shared entrance] Monday morning it had moved to the other side, reckon some tried to recycle it but couldnt manage, or the farmer decided to make it the developers problem!

1life

Visit site
Yes, was thinking the exact same thing the other day! Appalling, isn't it? i think it should be made much easier for people to use a proper tipping site whether it is household rubbish or business waste.
I've also noticed an increase in litter around our village. It seems that many folk can't be bothered to take their rubbish home with them and use their own bin (or even to lift the lid on someone's wheelie bin, which I'm sure most peeps wouldn't mind) and have no regard for the fact that the rubbish won't rot, just build up.

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
We have had more in the area i ride in. The council used to be very quick at responding and getting rid of things that were dumped, but i now realise that after 'cut backs' the stuff stays at the roadside for much longer, hence more rides out that involve spooks etc.
Last week i came across a man that lives down the lane, out with his car picking up dumped builders matter. He said it was ok when i asked, that he goes to the dump regularly and knew we would wait too long for the council to do it....surely that's not right!

Dubsie

Visit site
Bother that reminds me I forgot to ring my man at the council (I've his direct line number) as there's a huge builders sack full of stuff left on the side but actually in the road - you have to drive round it (dark, unlit country lane). Nearly as bad as the complete load of turf left across the whole road - that one took me 3/4 of an hour to dig a path through to get out of the road. Council turned up within the hour and removed it, they're really good.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Strange, but we've had a lot LESS fly-tipping than usual recently.

In the times when you had to pay to scrap a car, we used to get them dumped down the lane in the ditch, almost on a weekly basis. And they'd always be filled with old fridges, washing machines, and any other large white-goods that the 'dumper' wanted to get rid of.

Often they'd still be wearing their number plates, couldn't understand that one, couldn't they be traced??

Nowadays, we get the odd load of soil or tree cuttings. And a few broken cots, bikes etc.

The funniest incident... some person from the local estate dumped a load of plastic sacks down the lane (we're only allowed to fill our wheelie bins, not stack stuff on top, they won't take it if there's extra!).... so presumably, the family had extra, and the dustmen wouldn't take it. So they threw it in the bushes.

It all burst open, and inside were letters from their daughters school, about her bunking off, having anger management problems, and needing to see the school nurse. Someone picked this stuff out, and pinned it to all the trees for the world to see!!!!!! ha ha

Last edited:

Fii

Visit site
The problems escalated around us, because the council tip now charges you if you drive a pickup or bigger, or for a trailer over the size of a shoe box :(

I have also noticed that there is a lot more small rubish on the sides of the road since the council implemented recycling.
When they collect the recycling a lot falls out and they never pick up after themselves, it also blows out of the vans as they are driving.

unicornleather

Visit site
There was a lane up near Fickleshole that was so bad they eventually had to close the road completely and block each end to vehicles. You couldn't drive down it to stables when out on a call out even when it was open due to the numerous white goods you'd be likely to crash into, we called it fridge city.
I have reported one bloke I caught blatently dumping his garden waste locally where he shouldn't, they come up with all sorts of excuses when challenged!
He got fined £1,000 and I got £500 reward!
Another phenomena we have round here is, if you hire a skip and leave it full up outside your house it is half empty by the morning, VERY good value as over the course of a week's hire charge you can re fill it at least 3 times!
We have hoards of the "skip fairies" (like the tooth fairy but bigger, hairier, they drive white vans and pick ups and seem to be out during daylight hours instead of at night) does anyone else have these "fairies?
They love our throw outs!
Oz :)

Last edited:

Kenzo

Visit site
Yep:mad:

Old mattresses laying and various things laying around in verges, why can't they just take things to the tip! not only that but it causes the horses to spook so dangerous enough on the roads without bits of old furniture jumping out at you! :rolleyes:

spottydottypony

Visit site
I had a skip right outside my house a couple of years ago. I would go out and comebck and it would either be filled up with other peoples rubbish or my rubbish removed!! I caught some small boys about 7 putting thier mother large cardboard box rubbish in there!! I made them take it out and told them to tell her to get her own skip cheeky mare!!!!!! Yes fly tipping on the lane by my field is awful. lorry tyres are a favorite, builders rubbish and a 3 seater sofa appeared yesterday. If i catch anyone dumping i will report them dont care what they say, i have to look at it!!!

conkers

Visit site
There's a footpath that I use when walking my dog that runs parallel to a dual carriageway. The about of stuff that has been thrown out down the banking as people drive past is unbelievable. Especially as the local tip is just at the end of the road.

opal06

Visit site
I have noticed it more so than ever just recently, only they other day did I get to the yard to find a mattress had been dumped over the yard gate amongst other bits and bobs too. It really annoys me as now i have to dispose of it correctly. When the lazy b****rs can take it to the tip for free..

Make me so mad!