Anyone else not like having the dog on the bed at night?

Clodagh

Visit site
Yuck! Tawny sleeps on my sons bed, whre she moults copious amounts of short stiff hairs (she doesn't have a proper double coat). She also makes the duvet cover filthy, just from oils on her coat you get a stained patch on 'her' side of the bed. Gross!
If the dogs get on our bed I have to change the sheets, and I am no hygiene fiend.
I would have them on the sofa but OH says no, so they stay on the floor.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I can't sleep very well without them curled round me. Three small poodles - as for hygiene I suspect they're cleaner than my husband lol

To be fair, poodles don't moult and they all get weekly baths. I've a dust might allergy so the bed is stripped and washed every week or less so I don't think there is a hygiene issue. I don't have dogs with dirty feet, claggy bots or even hairy ears.

When my husband and I first got together, he used to moan about the dogs in the bed. How things have changed. My last two poodles as youngsters were in a crate in the bedroom til they could safely navigate on/off the bed without injury. It was HIM that kept saying "when does K get to come into the bed then" lol

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have a child gate at the bottom of the stairs as i dont like dogs on my bed and my terrier pup would go upstgairs if there was no barrier. my collie cross has never even been upstairs so she is no problem. i have 2 sofas in my living room, a nice leather one for me and an old sofa covered with throws for the dogs...so we are all happy. my terrier pup is a bit of a lap dog so mostly seems to be on my lap in the evenings which leaves the sofa free for the collie cross....

maisie06

Visit site
Our old terrier used to sleep on the bed, tucked in by my feet never any bother - our now Cocker spaniel is banned from the bed as he likes to jump all over you at 4am....I think not! He sleeps in his crate...

{97702}

Visit site
Quite honestly any or all of my 4 dogs would be preferable to sleep on my bed than my BF who snores for Britain.... sadly his presence means they aren’t there, not enough room!

This sort of thread always makes me lol, reading the views of people like me who really aren’t bothered, and people who think it is disgusting and unhygienic and how could you :D. Mind you I am seriously glad I don’t have some of the dogs described, mine are short coated, clean and unobtrusive:)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I couldnt imagine mine not being allowed on the bed. Whippets instinctively know about them! This is Floyd on his 3rd day at home with us at not quite 8 weeks

14695473_10154099734268667_5674252612380825679_n.jpg

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My lot come up with me if the OH is on lates, big dog has to be lifted up, bless him. They always pelt off to see the OH when he gets home. All night would be too bonkers with three, especially Zak, who thinks his chin must be on my clavicle, he likes being nose to nose. They decided that it was time for us to get up at 5.30 on Saturday, tho, there was much flapping of ears and quiet whining outside the closed door. They may have snuggle privileges withdrawn, I think they may be spoilt :redface3:

planete

Visit site
I would love to share my bed with my dogs but a) I am a light sleeper and one of them likes to have a thorough slurppy lick of private parts in the middle of the night. b) there are four of them. c) I hate housework and the army of dust bunnies that comes off the hairy ones is of humongous proportions. d) I do not like carpeted stairs and bare wood is a bit of a hazard for sighthounds trying to run up or down them. However if one of them is poorly and needs watching overnight he/she spends the night in bed with me after being tenderly shepherded up the stairs!

Fools Motto

Visit site
No dogs allowed upstairs, although since we lost the lurcher the spaniel has indeed crept upstairs - I think the son didn't want her alone. This was during the day, so a quick visit I can cope with. At bed time, she is in the kitchen. (I don't trust her tummy all the time!!)
I don't really like furniture surfing either, although it has been seen a few times!!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I would love to share my bed with my dogs but a) I am a light sleeper and one of them likes to have a thorough slurppy lick of private parts in the middle of the night.

yep, has nothing to do with dirt and everything to do with the scratching, licking, getting up and turning round and with my old collie, snoring. also, OH wouldnt have it either and thats fine.

Spiritedly

Visit site
When I was younger my dog always slept on my bed....she wasn't supposed to and would creep off as soon as she heard my dad get up!...now the dogs are allowed on the furniture in the evenings when the throws are on and they sleep on an old sleeping bag in the corridor outside my room at night. My children's rooms are on the top floor and my room is on the middle floor so the dogs have access to all of the house except the kitchen which is where the cats sleep but they choose to sleep in a central location.

Fiona

Visit site
Lily the Lakeland sleeps at the bottom of the bed until OH comes to bed about 1am, and he puts her in her crate at that stage.

My previous JRTs did the same, apart from they slept under the covers at my feet (Lily is on top).

Hubby says (as we only have a standard double bed) that there isn't enough room for the two of us plus dog.

FIona

MagicMelon

Visit site
I actually feel a bit sick whenever I see one of my friends post a picture of their dogs on their beds on social media. I just find it so disgusting knowing where they've been and what they've possibly eaten that day etc. YUCK! This is my first dog though, I am admitedly a cat person so perhaps that what it is - my cats can come under the covers if they like, the dog however isnt even allowed in the bedrooms and also certainly not allowed on the sofa. Dogs smell though, even ours who is a labradoodle and we wash quite regularly, why would anyone want that on their bed? Sorry beyond disgusting for me. She has her own beds!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I actually feel a bit sick whenever I see one of my friends post a picture of their dogs on their beds on social media. I just find it so disgusting knowing where they've been and what they've possibly eaten that day etc. YUCK! This is my first dog though, I am admitedly a cat person so perhaps that what it is - my cats can come under the covers if they like, the dog however isnt even allowed in the bedrooms and also certainly not allowed on the sofa. Dogs smell though, even ours who is a labradoodle and we wash quite regularly, why would anyone want that on their bed? Sorry beyond disgusting for me. She has her own beds!

really? look at some literature as to what cats can carry!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

sorry i think that is worse than having a dog on the bed. however i dont even have my dogs upstairs as i prefer to sleep without them, a cat anywhere near my bed would be a nightmare for me, but i am a dog person.... my dogs dont smell either...

TGM

Visit site
sorry i think that is worse than having a dog on the bed. however i dont even have my dogs upstairs as i prefer to sleep without them, a cat anywhere near my bed would be a nightmare for me, but i am a dog person.... my dogs dont smell either...

I can't see that cats are any cleaner than dogs. They are just as likely (if not more so) to catch and eat wildlife that might have all sorts of diseases and infestations, plus they are just as keen on licking their private bits as dogs. I must say, though, that coat length does make quite a lot of difference in terms of smell and dirt - my whippet looks and smells very clean, whereas my long-haired dog is fairly manky as her coat seems to soak up dirt and damp. I know friends with labradoodles suffer the same problem.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I could appreciate your point of view if it weren't for the cats - you've just completely contradicted yourself 😂

I know exactly what my dogs have had in their mouths - I don't leave them to their own devices. The cat could travel several counties and I wouldn't know any different, but then I would never ever have cats in the house.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I have seen too many worms crawling out of feline backsides to ever allow one on my bed again!

Oh dear lord, I could never work at a vet's! I was thinking about cats burying their poo and how horrible that might be trodden on the bed, euw!

I know, logically, that the dogs aren't clean, particularly when they've been running round the garden (I stepped in dog poo in my own garden this week) but the delights of snuggles outweigh the idea that one may have stepped in his own pee-or worse-outside!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I know, logically, that the dogs aren't clean, particularly when they've been running round the garden (I stepped in dog poo in my own garden this week) but the delights of snuggles outweigh the idea that one may have stepped in his own pee-or worse-outside!

I'm a bit the same. I wash my bedding every week at least, I vacuum most days, I'm neurotic about hairs and I like things to be very clean in my house. But my dogs are lovely people and I want to share our house with them. We won't let the pup upstairs (famous last words) because she'll never miss what she's never had, but my older one will always be allowed upstairs, she's too nice and snuggly to waste in a dog bed, and it would break my heart to look at those eyes if I told her to stay in the kitchen.

Moobli

Visit site

Meh!!

df97qr.jpg

alainax

Visit site
Having dogs and cats, loving them all just as much, and none of them allowed in bed anymore ... I do have to say the cats are cleaner bed buddies and well less of a nuisance in the bed than the dog! Indoor short haired " hot blooded" oriental cats mind you, if your talking about free range city cat Maine coon it might be a different bed of animals! I guess an Italian greyhound would be more cat like than a St. Bernard in bed... so it depends a lot on the breed!

Last edited:

Amye

Visit site
Teddy has his own bed in our bedroom, so isn't allowed on the bed. He knows when lights go out to go and sleep on his bed. We've only had him 2 weeks so are being strict with the rules, when he's more established I might consider letting him up for a cuddle but don't think I would want him on all night, he's too big to share a standard double with OH and I!

He is allowed on the sofas though - I don't mind that :) We have a leather sofa that always has throws on so easily washable if needed.