Anyone else sensitive to negative comments?

Boxers

Visit site
Yesterday we followed the hunt and took our working cocker with us. Someone rode by and said "ooh what's that? Spaniel crossed with basset?" My husband replied that no, he's a proper working cocker. The rider said "pah, it's very long must have been backyard bred."

Rider rode away at that point. But I feel very defensive about my little dog. He is very well bred, comes from excellent working lines. We researched a lot before we bought him.

Anyone else feel like this? I think if someone has nothing nice to say then they should keep their mouths shut! Husband has taken him on a shoot and had compliments about how well trained the dog is and one person even expressed the possiblity of using him as a sire for pups with his working cocker, and this is a respected breeder of working cockers.

silv

Visit site
extremely rude, I would have been furious. Also of the opinion of "if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything" but to make that comment to a complete stranger? I don't know what it is about the dog/horse world, people seem to think they have carte blanche to make comments and give opionions that are not asked for. After all they would probably never dream of criticizing your children, house, husband etc to your face so why is it OK to criticize your animals.

_GG_

Visit site
"should've gone to specsavers love" is what my instant response would have been and if anything came back from that, I would have just been polite and said, "no, you've probably just not seen a correct type before....I'm glad you noticed that he is different, because he is, that's why we bought him" then smiled and carried on.

But...I do have a deep dislike for those who open their mouths when the truth is, they'd be better served zipping it shut"

xx

deb_l222

Visit site
Not dog related but I did once take considerable offence, while out riding, to my gorgeously handsome Clydesdale being referred to as a cart horse!!

To be fair, they were bred as cart / plough horses but that wasn't the point lol. The lady wasn't being rude though, I think it was just the first thing that came to mind when she clapped eyes on us.

One of the dogs (a springer) is often mistaken for a Dalmatian as she's all spots but I can't really take offence at that as Dalmatians are very attractive dogs.

Equi

Visit site
Thats not a negative comment that is just a downright rude comment! I would have been furious and probably called her a few words i know will be censored on here!

Boxers

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one then.

I just wish I'd been able to make a quick retort.

Ah well. We love him to bits whatever he's like. He's primarily a well loved housepet but is starting to go out with the shoot too. A dual purpose little dog.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Some people just don't have any sense or manners. I blame the internet, where people regularly get away with saying what they like because they're not face to face, and then when they do get face to face, they use the same "rules" of etiquette.

I also think some people are just more sensitive and can be too easily insulted.

I have a wee poodle bitch that I show. I was really insulted when a judge spoke to her co-owner (the judge is friendly with the co-owner, and didn't realise that she was in part ownership of said bitch so spoke plainly). She had said that she thought my bitches tail was docked. It annoyed me because she has a gay tail, so I'm a bit sensitive about it LOL

However, it's her opinion and I can't help it if she's wrong. ;)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd also have been very miffed!
I have a little x breed who I love to bits but over the years it's become very apparent he's a marmite dog! People either think he's the ugliest thing ever or the most amazing thing ever!
As a result I guess I've learnt to live with the bad comments and it makes the good ones better!
She evidently knew nothing about cockers and was ignorant.

Spring Feather

Visit site
He's a gorgeous little dog! I've no idea what they are talking about tbh, he looks exactly like how he should look. I wouldn't have said anything to them, I don't tend to give ignorant idiots the time of day.

Spudlet

Visit site
He looks lovely. There are lots of working Cockers around here, and he looks no different! Person on horse was probably trying to cover their own stupidity at not recognising the breed - or maybe their own inadequacy, as it's not everyone that can get the best from these dogs.

CAYLA

Visit site
He is a smart little dude. I would take it more so that she is not well versed in her dog breeds. She sounds miffed for some reason and just decided to have a nasty little dig.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
In my experience the rudest and most outspoken people in the horse world are those that 'ride to hounds'. I always used to love hunting but absolutely hated the followers. I used to hunt a welsh cob and be asked why I didn't get a proper horse. Needless to say he would often jump his way out of tricky places while the riders on big hunters were often still stuck there when we were long gone. Ignore them and just be grateful that you have a dog you really love and gives you pleasure.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
I can't see your photos at the minute (it says photo bucket is down for maintenance :) )
I have working type cockers and people who don't know the breed sometimes have an opinion on my Black and Tan girl as she is long in body and has a longer face. They think she's crossed with a dachshund!
Funnily enough at a big country show last year I was chatting to the guy who did the working gun dog display and he pointed to her and asked how red her breeding was (in a positive way) he spotted a good working line in her. Her breeding is 90% red! I got her as an ex breeding bitch so havemt worked her yet. We are starting g agility in the new year.
Some people haven't got a clue and those that do with give you a nod ;)

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If I had been in your shoes, I think I would have been a bit annoyed about it for a while, before I left it behind me. Some persons are good at coming up with quick replies, I'm usually not, so part of my annoyance, would come from that I probably didn't think of something smart to say, until the rider was since long gone.

I realise that it wasn't said as a compliment, but I must admit that a part of me is thinking 'So, what is wrong with Bassets?' I think Bassets can be quite cute.