Anyone else sprained their foot/ankle whilst riding?

Green Bean

Visit site
Just curious as it just ridiculous I have managed to do this! Last week, I was ending off quite a successful ride with my darling mare when she had a tiny spook and jumped left. This would normally have not unseated me, but with her action, my right ankle went clunk, so without this opposite support I came off rather ungracefully. The pain I first had was in my hip as my bum is usually the first to hit the ground, to the point where I had to have crutches to get back to my car, after the lovely yard lady took my horse back to her stable and untacked her. That night, my ankle looked like nothing had happened to which I rolled my eyes as it very seldom I have any bruises after a fall. Next day it started ballooning so after a call with 111 it was agreed I should go to the A&E. An x-ray later, it was confirmed that I have sprained my foot and ankle. I keep asking myself HOW?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I broke my Fib a few mm above the ankle, whilst still in the saddle.
He hugely bunny hopped, I bounced in the saddle and as I came down the inch or so, my right ankle crunched over as my weight went down in the stirrups. It was a clean break. I had to stay on board for the 15 mins it took to ride back to the yard.

This was Dec 2013, I had arthritis set in due to 'catastrophic breakdown of cartilage' whilst immobilised from about 8 weeks after. I still cannot run, nor could I do any job that requires standing for very long. I have the Talus Navicular injected every 6 to 12 months or so to keep me pottering.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I believe I sprained my ankle, I can't remember which was the exact "act" which did it.

It was during a jump lesson back when I used to jump. We were coming to a jump off a turn, across the diagonal, with barely any strides from turn to jump. For once I could actually judge take off and could tell we had to go on the earlier half stride and if he added another stride we'd be to his credit so drove him to take off. To his credit (the jump was at least 80cm) he responded with a huge, ballooning jump, thought I was going to be unseated

I don't think this caused it, I think it was the next jump we turned to where, having probably scared himself, he stopped but in doing so propped to the left, causing my weight to go into my right stirrup and I felt it "go"

Nearly passed out walking around at home after but thought I'd wait as really didn't want to go hospital (same approach as when he jumped backwards onto my foot when something scared him when I was grooming him!)

Fortunately it was back to normal after a couple of days but the pain that evening was something else!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Yep fractured my foot whilst riding !! I was in the school whilst another lady was trying a horse for sale. As we trotted past each other her horse sort of spooked into mine, mine just side stepped but with a jolt and unseated me and my ankle went over in the stirrup. To say getting off was hard is an understatement as was driving home and getting my boot off!

Runaground

Visit site
Can happen. I'm prone to it as I'm hypermobile, but, keep up with strengthening exercises to help. Really notice it if I've not ridden for a while.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had a hunting friend who broke his ankle without falling off and another who broke his pelvis!

littleshetland

Visit site
I managed to smash mine to smithereens when I fell off 4 years ago.....but I have given myself chronic lower back pain when a horse I was riding shot very quickly to the right which obviously jarred my lower back/hip. I didn't come off and it didn't seem at all bad at the time but It hurt for months after that. I think the sudden application of weight onto our joints can cause problems!

scats

Visit site
Got thrown off and landed on my head... broke my ankle...
I still don’t know what angle my ankle hit the ground and actually think the break happened while my foot was in the stirrup (it was the most horrifically violent rodeo display!)

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
No but my last fall had me landing on my feet from a height (17.1) and i landed facing the wrong way to my feet before tumbling over. I had sever concussion in my lower leg that took weeks to get over. I thought i'd broke my leg!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Yes, broken right ankle after jumping a ditch out hunting, horse took a massive leap but stayed straight so I somehow stayed on board. i would have been far better if I had come off. My ankle just snapped as the horse landed. I begged the hospital to cut the boot down the seam but they didn't ! I was unimpressed to say the least.

JJS

Visit site
I broke my foot without falling off in October ? I wasn’t paying enough attention as we went through a gate and my stirrup leather caught around the latch part of the gate post. I ended up crushing my foot between the metal and Mary and being out of action for a fair while.

It was the worst riding injury I’ve had while on one of my own horses, and ironically I didn’t even come off her. Thankfully, my angel of a horse got me home slumped over her neck with my eyes closed. I came very closing to passing out from the pain (there was quite severe nerve damage) but my lovely girl stepped up to the plate and got us back safely.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
I wrenched my ankle when my horse took fright at some walkers on a narrow path carrying poles. She whipped round and ran. I think I must have put too much weight in the stirrup as she span or when I did emergency stop. Blew up & was amazing colour. Should of rested & iced but back on board as soon as could get foot back in boot. Took while to heal & is quite prone to re injury. Twisted again dismounting and jumping down from lorry cab