Anyone else's horses acting like loonies?

algeredge

Visit site
Fear it's that time of the year again but my two boys can either feel spring in the air or the neighbouring mares must be coming into season. They're jumpy, keep seeing monsters across the field, scrapping with each other (two rug repairs this week alone) and tonight the one who is normally well behaved started napping in the school. I've been told the frost can bring sugars out in the grass. Anyone else heard of that?

JillA

Visit site
Yes, frosted grass can be lethal, especially if you have a laminitic. It continues photosynthesising in the daylight even though it isn't growing so the sugars become more concentrated, and if there is a mild spell and it begins to grow, you have shoots like candy floss! I was taking haynets out for the field horses yesterday and heard squeaking over my shoulder. My horse was cantering round his paddock sqeaking and squealing like a yearling - and he is 18 this year!

old hand

Visit site
Make sure you are feeding enough salt, the excess of potassium in stressed grass upsets their whole system. If they have enough salt it counteracts this, my 700kg warmblood is up to three tablespoons a day at the moment and although lively, is containing himself. They were all doing star jumps and mad galloping a couple of days ago.

algeredge

Visit site
Wow that's really interesting! All makes sense though. Strangely enough, I caught one of the boys licking a patch of mud the other day so bought new salt licks for their stables. Not seen a change in behaviour just yet though so might add a little to the feeds to make sure they're definately getting some. Glad it's not just mine feeling full of themselves!

mainpower

Visit site
I'm positive spring's coming!! Light 'til 5pm, birdsong morning and evening, and my golden oldie doing "squealies" round the field while the young'uns shake their forelocks at the silly old sod! ��

Last edited:

HeresHoping

Visit site
I think it is a combination of the longer daylight, and the strange weather - warm, so the grass does a bit of shooting, and then frost.

Channel it. The Connie's lateral work is absolutely superb at the moment. We've been attempting walk pirouettes, which she finds nigh on impossible to the left, but when she's a little frisky, she steps under without thinking!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Yep- Mine spent all of last sunday at the show jack knifing and jumping around the wagon park & warm up trying to get me off. She insists this is typical behaviour for a horse of her age- 14!