Anyone else's horses lacking spark?

Sprat

Visit site
Just a musing really.

The majority of the horses at our yard have been out 24/7 for a couple of weeks now, and most of them seem to be lacking in a bit of sparkle.

My gelding is usually quite a forward responsive little chap, and now he seems to be happier to drop down a gear which he didn't used to. As far as I can tell, he is fine in himself health wise etc. Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid?

Speaking to a few girls at the yard and they have said the same thing about their horses as well.

I can't recall this response last spring, is anyone else having the same problem?

I was thinking that perhaps as they are all down to having one feed a day instead of two this could be the reason.

oldie48

Visit site
I generally find that the more turnout my horses have, the less sparky they are. I don't do 24/7 turnout but I do switch from in at night to out at night when the weather gets warmer and I need to get Mr B in and let him have a bit of a kip before I ride him or he is definitely less enthusiastic. It doesn't help either if the grass is good as they can come in a bit gassy.

HBB

Visit site
Too much grass, not enough sleep, change of routine and changing/moulting coat can all cause a horse to lack a bit of spark.

TPO

Visit site
I'd agree that it's the time of year.

Casting their coat takes it out of them and, depending where you are/livery set up, there's a distinct lack of grass. They go off hay/haylage in search of a few blades of grass so taht doesn't help either..

LHIS

Visit site
Yep, mine has been out for 3 days on the trot, came in yesterday and was literally laid flat out fast asleep. Poor little poppet is whacked. He woke up and I had a little ride, but he couldn't have been less enthusiastic. They probably just need a bit of time to adjust.

Sprat

Visit site
Glad it's not just me being a bit of a worry wart. I had thought about upping feed a bit to help.

Grass isn't particularly plentiful, however it is shooting through very green so have been keeping an eye on hooves.

Is there anything anyone would recommend to help feed wise?

PerfectCoffee

Visit site
I have the same problem so glad it is not just me. Had reduced the feed but going to put it back up again as not really warm enough for the grass to be growing much I think.

applecart14

Visit site

Damnation

Visit site
Want mine?

16.2hh 15 year old Dutch Warmblood.

Currently impersonating an Arab Stallion as she is in full blown season, life is great, hormones make you crazy, oh and she is randy!!!!!!!

Sprat

Visit site
Thanks for the link Applecart - I would like to think I wouldn't need to go down the cushings test route yet - he is only just 8.

Have you had much success with the linseed? Similar to you, I am concerned about adding too much condition as he is already a good doer.

May have a chat with a few of the feed companies and see what they advise.

Damnation - yes, swap you! :lol:

KautoStar1

Visit site
rather than changing or adding feed, why not just add a tonic - a dose of red cell for a week - and see if that helps as a pick me up.

Mine is rather quiet under saddle at the moment. He's perfectly ok and bright eyed but I suspect he's eaten too much, the warm weather has hit him unexpectedly and he cant decide what to do with his coat. I think its just that time of year.

L&M

Visit site
I wish! Mine is a nutter atm.....

However I have noticed my oh's two are quite lack lustre atm.

I think this time of year can turn them either way, as evidence from comments above.

Sprat

Visit site
rather than changing or adding feed, why not just add a tonic - a dose of red cell for a week - and see if that helps as a pick me up.

Mine is rather quiet under saddle at the moment. He's perfectly ok and bright eyed but I suspect he's eaten too much, the warm weather has hit him unexpectedly and he cant decide what to do with his coat. I think its just that time of year.

Yes I think that would be the best idea, he's quite happy and does well on the feed that he is on so I'm a little reluctant to change anything.

I've never used red cell, is it just a liquid to add to the feed?

I've always had very good doer's who never needed more than a bit of chaff / balancer so I'm a bit of a feed / supplement dunce.

Last edited:

atropa

Visit site
Yep, mine has been a bit sluggish recently, and didn't even really seem to get the normal spring crazies this year.
Putting it down to the odd weather

oldie48

Visit site
Well you are welcome to mine! Mr B is still in at night but the grass is growing and he's quite full of himself. I really regret posting my "happy" thread as we have taken a step backwards and hacking has become "interesting" as he wants to get home at speed again. I really thought I'd got this sorted but hey ho!
I always look forward to the spring crazies, so have been most disappointed this year!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Want mine?

16.2hh 15 year old Dutch Warmblood.

Currently impersonating an Arab Stallion as she is in full blown season, life is great, hormones make you crazy, oh and she is randy!!!!!!!

Oh my Loan Welshie came home last Sunday like she's run the National. Head to toe in sweat, jogged the whole way round a 5 mile route. My Exmoor is running laps of the field for fun & one of the girls on the yard has commented that he looks great but "He can SHIFT"

rachk89

Visit site
God no, ours are going mental. Spring grass is coming through, they are getting a bit difficult to catch as they dont want to come in. Mine regularly trots away from me now, big git.

applecart14

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies to the OP's post but considering I was told to try to get my horse tested for cushings having had the same problem as the OP, I am curious as to why it might be that no one has mentioned this to the OP in this thread?

TGM

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies to the OP's post but considering I was told to try to get my horse tested for cushings having had the same problem as the OP, I am curious as to why it might be that no one has mentioned this to the OP in this thread?

Possibly because your post mentioned that your horse was 19 (common age for Cushings) and had lost his topline (common sign of Cushings), whereas the OP didn't. Plus OP said all the horses at her yard seemed to have similar problems.

LHIS

Visit site

Mine definitely not this. I know exactly why - simply because he's not getting decent sleep out in the field and grass isn't rich here yet (we're still soggy underfoot!). Once he's had a night in the stable with access to a haynet he's perkier.

First Flame

Visit site
My girl always gets a bit slugglish around this time of year, she struggles more with the coat change as she has very itchy skin! I have used both propel plus and NAF Energy (liquid supplements added to feed) and it has been just what she needed to give her a boost.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wonder if this is the problem with daughters little horse. She's mentioned recently he's been not quite himself and was a bit worried about it.