Anyone else's leather on micklem bridle rubbish ?

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
Haven't even had mine a year yet cleaned regulary, been oiled etc. Cleaning it this week and noticed the leather is cracking its never been great leather e.g. hard to get supple. Really annoyed as they are not cheap bridle but the leather to me seems rubbish. Anyone else in counted this problem? Should i write to complain?

Goldenstar

Visit site
My competition one is ok , but the multi bridle is awful leather it never looks nice however I have had it almost from when they where launched and it's used every day sometimes several times and it's still going .

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I had a multi for a year plus and it was fine. I don't clean tack much. My friend had a competition one and is obsessive about cleaning tack. It fell apart.

pistolpete

Visit site
Mine is ok but not had it a year yet. I don't clean my tack much either. Maybe Micklem's should advertise as self-cleaning tack!

LeannePip

Visit site
I wasnt impressed with the leather when it arrived - the plastic coating cracked before i'd even put it on a horse! but for the time being it seems pretty solid and makes the horse happy!

Bede

Visit site
I had an old multi and it was fine.
I have a much newer competition and it's nowhere near as nice leather, but the horse likes it so much better than an ordinary bridle that it's worth putting up with it

old hand

Visit site
Have three one old multibridle and two newer competition bridles, I clean them with leather balsam and all are fine. They even survive my other half dunking them in water troughs when he is cleaning bits off.

Cragrat

Visit site
I have 2 multibridles. One is used daily, cleaned every 1 or 2 weeks ( basically before each competition), the other is used less often, but cleaned about the same. I use traditional gycerine bar soap, and koachaline if they have been rained on for a whole day.

I bought the first new, about 2 1/2 years ago, I think, and the other about 2 years ago, 2nd hand.

They both look and feel great. Maybe not equivalent to top of the range £300 bridles, but perfectly strong and flexible. I'm very happy with them.

Weirdly though, on both the jowl strap, the one that's sort of a low throat lash, seems a different, slightly cheaper leather than the rest! Not noticeable unless I'm cleaning it, and it's still perfectly fine.

mightymammoth

Visit site
Haven't even had mine a year yet cleaned regulary, been oiled etc. Cleaning it this week and noticed the leather is cracking its never been great leather e.g. hard to get supple. Really annoyed as they are not cheap bridle but the leather to me seems rubbish. Anyone else in counted this problem? Should i write to complain?

millgreenlady, where did you get the details of who to complain to? The same has happened to my friends micklem.

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
millgreenlady, where did you get the details of who to complain to? The same has happened to my friends micklem.

I emailed william micklem himself the email i got off the micklem bridle website he replied this morning saying he has forwared my email to a person at rambo as they make them. Haven't heard anything from them yet !

tilly49

Visit site
Hi - any news on this issue? The chin strap on my competition bridle which I've had for 9 months and clean weekly with a wipe over after each use - seems to be shedding the leather. I'm in discussion with Horseware and the retailer I brought it off but I doubt they will replace it

Doormouse

Visit site
Mine is pretty crap and the multi bridle now has no ring on the noseband as when I was lunging off it the other day and my 4 year old had a hooley it just pulled out the leather.

I wouldn't bother with them at all except that both my current horses go so much better in them than standard bridles.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I noticed they have recently brought out a deluxe version of it, I wonder if they are using slightly better leather for this or if it is just a question of stitched raised design.

Still toying with getting one but as my horse is not a standard size in a normal bridle I have put it off.

mrhsaddler

www.mrhsaddler.co.uk
I have seen loads of these come through the workshop, usually because the D rings that hold the bit straps to the noseband or the D rings to the straps that hold the underside of the noseband on have ripped off, the leather is not good, but then again its typical quality for leatherwork from the sweat shops of the far east.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have seen loads of these come through the workshop, usually because the D rings that hold the bit straps to the noseband or the D rings to the straps that hold the underside of the noseband on have ripped off, the leather is not good, but then again its typical quality for leatherwork from the sweat shops of the far east.

Same here, the Dees are the weak link (the chape holding them in). I can see design flaws with this bridle, it needed tweaking a bit before it was sold but suspect it was a case of "get it out there and get earning".
Oz

xgemmax

Visit site
I had one and sold it, the leather quality was awful and the leather by the buckle on the reins was cracked within a few weeks!