Anyone elses mares acting odd

koeffee

Visit site
Mare due in 4 weeks. Stabled her next to the boys who all mix, but my god what a whore you wouldnt think she was in foal, squeeling her head off, weeing every where. Had to move her in the end. Only so much the boys can take!

haras

Visit site
well mine is extremly grumpy, which isn't like her. still trying to get her to let me touch her udder and she's having none of it in her current frame of mind!

imafluffybunny

Visit site
My mare is also a complete grouch bag, she has ripped every rug on every horse in the field with her, mostly all Rambos... grrrr! This is her 5th foal and not like her at all. She always has colts and someone said they can act differently with fillies and colts so I have my fingers crossed for a filly!

eventrider23

Visit site
V went through a grumpy rug ripping on others stage but is now through it and just feeling fat and pregnant I think and waddling about. LOL

lauren1988

Visit site
Tia went through a very grumpy stage at 6months-ish, apparently lots of mares go grumpy around the 6/7month stage. She then went very affectionate, following me around the field, nuzzling etc which was what she was like when first pregnant. Now she is just very up and down - ridiculously grumpy just over a week ago and did NOT want to be groomed last night (made it pretty clear!) but has been sweet in between :) I guess its just her hormones, at least with humans they usually know what is happening, bless her she hasn't got a clue! She's been much hungrier the past week as well - about 3 weeks ago she wasn't finishing both haylage nets overnight but is now extra hungry. Still top dog in her field but I can't see that ever changing - she shows all the signs of being a dominant mare, definately think she'd be in charge if she were out in the wild :D

Bennions Field

Visit site
i thought i had things bad, my mare has suddenly gone from the new calm sweet lovely pregnant mare back to her usual wirlwind of galloping around like something posessed ! she had continued to show interest in the boys the other side of the fence and i was so worried that i did a wee foal test at around 100 days, she was still pregnant, now i only have to look at her belly to see it jumping around like a jack in the box..

thank godness she's not chewing everyones rugs !!

my old mare used to mount the other horses in the field when she was pregnant with her colt, i was told at the time she would have a colt and she did too, and within a couple of day of being born he had all his 'bits' intact and was indeed very very colty early on. so perhaps there is some truth in the old wives tales ????

Enfys

Visit site
I have a mare (315 days) that has turned into a raging tart over the past couple of days, she spends all her time flirting with the boys in the next paddock.

Another mare (due end of April) is horrendously grumpy and has bitten chunks out of all her field mates, their rugs are in tatters. She is also refusing point blank to have her rug back on now (I take rugs off if it is sunny and not too windy) despite the temperatures being around -5C, on a good day, -14C today with snow and windchill.

Tempi

Visit site
Mine is coming up to 300 days and is now in a fenced off part of the field on her own as she was being exceedingly horrible to her field ''friends''!! Shes been in her own part for over a month now and is much happier. Last time she was turned out with another right up until she foaled and was really happy and totally different to this time. She had a colt last time so im thinking maybe this time its a filly..........

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
It would be very interesting to do a poll on mares behaviour during pregnancy and the gender of the foal.

Could the flirty mares be getting an over dose of oestrogen from their 'filly' foals and the aggressive mares a dose of testosterone from their 'colt' foals?????