Anyone ever met THIS out hacking?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Yesterday evening, I decided to take the bouncing bomb mare for a hack - Spring grass has got to her recently, so my normally placid girl is rather more lively than usual. Everything was going well - she was just about managing to stay in walk rather than jig jogging, although was doing the giraffe impression very well...
As we turned round to come home, the road runs along the edge of a canal and as I got closer to the area where people park to go walking, I heard something which sounded like an animal in pain....
On getting closer, the pained animal was making various pitches of noise and then I saw him........a man standing on the edge of the canal playing the bagpipes. Why, I have no idea. If he was trying to busk, I can't imagine he would have made much money at 7pm at night as there was nobody else about. All I can think was that he was trying to charm the fish.
Mare by this point was doing kangaroo impression, although she's such a good girl, she made no move to do anything really silly
Anyone else experienced a random person playing a musical instrument (although I wouldn't describe what I heard as music) in the middle of nowhere out hacking????

CalllyH

Visit site
No but I've seen a man in very small shorts cycling with his winky hanging out! Also another cyclist in very tight shorts standing by his bike with the biggest manhood I've ever seen! He said hello and I couldn't look him in the face!

beccawilson

Visit site
I came across a man parked by the reservoir that I regularly hack near playing Eternal Flame on the keyboard. My horse didn't quite know what to do with himself and I was in fits of giggles!

Dizzle

Visit site
Yes, we encountered bag pipes out hacking at work once. Worse though was the Morris dancers!!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Me and OH were riding down the bridleway one sunny sunday morn, and passed a parked car, where the occupants were nekkid, and in the throes of passion...

The window was open, so OH said 'Lovely morning!'....as we passed!

Took all I had to stay on board with trying not to laugh....don't think the couple were too impressed...!

Hahahaha!

0ldmare

Visit site
Yes, funnily enough I did one come across a man playing the bagppipes (I'm in kent). He was standing in the middle of a small paddock that bordered a bridle path. No idea why he was there, most strange. Old Mare, the spooky one, rather liked it, but friends horse nearly had a nervous breakdown.

My oddest was meeting a Cessna plane being towed behind a 4x4 on a single track lane. The wings had been removed, but even so it was an alarming sight...

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i am guessing the man with the bagpipes either

1. married and if he wants to stay married has to practice in the park
2. has neighbours and if he wants to stay in the house has to practice in the park
3. his blind date has arrange to meet him in the park and has told them he will be the one with the bag pipes instead of a red rose

as to the worst thing to meet out hacking on a bridleway, a BMW convertable + two naked people + bouncing and you have with you have 5 ten year olds from the riding school :D

it as a circle route and by the time we came back they had gone:D:D

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Oldmare, I'm in Cumbria, so that means there's possibly two random bagpipe players in the country.....I think my man has probably got lost - came too far south from the Scots Border!

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
I've met some bagpipers!! And highland dancers!! We rode past a highland games lol- he was so so good past the bouncy castles and screaming kids, but bless him he just couldn't cope with a herd of bagpipers (playing!!) heading towards him menacingly lol!!

Was an *ahem* interesting hack :D

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Heheh these stories are great. I don't think I have ever met anything odd whilst out hacking, which is a shock, in rural south wales.

unicornleather

Visit site
Well, that's an easy one, he was PRACTISING!
I learned to play the Tenor Sax years ago, and whilst I was learning (badly) I used to strap my sax on my back, ride my 650 kwacker up on to Farthing Downs, walk across a field and sit by Chaldon Pond to practice (Glen Miller mainly) certainly used to charm the Kestrel who used to sit in the tree above me listening (or suffering, not sure which)!
No one around to get annoyed when I hit a bum note (or three) so I do suspect your man playing the bagpipes is doing the very same thing, bagpipes and tenor saxes are very loud even with a doughnut in the bell of the sax, it can be heard quite a distance away. Not good for friendships with neighbours and mine used to make the dogs howl!
Oz :)

rambling

Visit site
The Scottish definition of a gentleman .... a man who can play the pipes but doesn't :D
We have a chap locally who plays the Trumpet in the woods.

Came upon Jonathan Rees Myers sh***ing Katherine Parr in the woods .
Do I win?

Trish C

Visit site
he just couldn't cope with a herd of bagpipers (playing!!) heading towards him menacingly lol!!

As a musician myself, I can assure you that 'herd' is not the collective noun for a group of bagpipers :D

When I lived in Derbyshire, my much-loved but lunatic Cleveland Bay and I met a tank whilst we were out hacking. I didn't blame him at all for that moment of lunacy!

I also WAS the random musician once - my car broke down on the moors (again in Debryshire) on the way to a gig. I hadn't learned all the sets yet, so to pass the time whilst I was waiting for the AA to arrived I sat on the verge and practised :D

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Poor chap thought he was all alone!

I did on friday meet an unexpected Street Party, balloons, Bunting, Bouncy castle!!!!
EEkkk! - A few bounces and we trotted past as quickly as possible.

The worst thing was some Kadets training in full camo jumping out of the bushes - I still have no idea why I am still alive.
After 4 of them I shouted at the top of my voice

RIGHT, THATS IT - UNLESS YOU ALL WANT TO BE SUED FOR MILLIONS AND MUCKING OUT MY HORSE FOR 3 MONTHS WHILST I RECOVER FROM FALLING OFF YOU BETTER ALL COME OUT NOW AND STAND STILL TILL I AM OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!

and about another 15 of them very sheepishly lined up on the edge of the path!!!

foraday

Visit site
Agreed!

Our hacking is BORING compared to all of that!

Bagpipes
Ill fitting cycling shorts
lovers lanes
Morris dancers

Love it!

We only have low flying micro lights, gliders and of course hot air balloons!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
ok just rememberd
riding up one of the hills my way (mendips) we met a harrier jet doing low maneuvers coming the other way so low you could see the bolts

me :eek::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek:

horse eh?

then a sheep popped out and we had a spook:rolleyes:

OneInAMillion

Visit site
No but I've seen a man in very small shorts cycling with his winky hanging out! Also another cyclist in very tight shorts standing by his bike with the biggest manhood I've ever seen! He said hello and I couldn't look him in the face!

LOL LOL LOL I just spat my drink out :D

Megibo

Visit site
Poor chap thought he was all alone!

I did on friday meet an unexpected Street Party, balloons, Bunting, Bouncy castle!!!!
EEkkk! - A few bounces and we trotted past as quickly as possible.

The worst thing was some Kadets training in full camo jumping out of the bushes - I still have no idea why I am still alive.
After 4 of them I shouted at the top of my voice

RIGHT, THATS IT - UNLESS YOU ALL WANT TO BE SUED FOR MILLIONS AND MUCKING OUT MY HORSE FOR 3 MONTHS WHILST I RECOVER FROM FALLING OFF YOU BETTER ALL COME OUT NOW AND STAND STILL TILL I AM OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!

and about another 15 of them very sheepishly lined up on the edge of the path!!!

absolutely brilliant!!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
There's a guy that does that on the side of the a14 long way from anywhere he was on local news. He said he did it there so no one would complain about the noise. Lol

sleepykitten

Visit site
Most interesting hacks I've ever had involve aircraft and the army! I live up in Northumberland and we used to hack out over Otterburn Army Ranges. One day, galloping horsey up a big hill with lots of ditches, merrily jumping said ditches until last big ditch we jumped I happened to look down and it was full of soldiers! We cleared their heads by a few inches!!

Second most interesting was me and a friend going for a quiet hack in the countryside while the Red Arrows were doing a fly past for a local charity event, could see their underwear they were so low, red, blue and black smoke trailing over our heads! Friends horse had a cardiac arrest, mine pootled down the rest of the field then spooked at a cow!:D

indie999

Visit site
Only amourous couple on the bank, that didnt notice me on a cremello about a meter away who carried on!

indie999

Visit site
Another thing we had round our way is corporate days where they have mini jet foils that skirt around the fields floating on air(not sure if thats what they are called)? But they are blooming scary(didnt like those much but we got past). Lots of virgin hot air balloons whooshing the gas too(my horses field was at the end of the stansted landing strip when I got him and fortunately is not afraid of any big sudden noises)! Bizarre that was always a handy experience for him! Completely crow scarer, helicopter, air balloon, aircraft aerobatics, shot gun, 110% proof!

But the horse eating deer not too fond off! as they are nearly as big as he

cptrayes

Visit site
I've met the naked rambler on a footpath through a field I ride in. He had boots and socks and a rucksack on :)

My horse would not take his eyes of the man's groin, and even when we had passed him he was craning his neck back so far in fascination of seeing things he's never seen on a human before that he almost fell over :) :) :)

JoG

Visit site
I used to work for an event yard near Longleat and hacked along the back fence of the safari park regularly :)

The TB I exercised did a pretty good giraffe impression which used to make a few tourists have to check he was in fact a horse!

cptrayes

Visit site
And I've met an eight foot high box of cornflakes too.

Best of all, the car which it was on the roof of was completely hidden to me by a dry stone wall and banking. So all I could see was a huge box of Kelloggs cornflakes, apparently sauntering up the road all by itself.

It was on the roof of the sponsored support car for a major cycle race :) !

Lucinda_x

Visit site
The other day i was wondering down a hill, which literally has no traffic on, riding and leading and i could see two people in the field below. Horses spotted them and started spooking. The male and female then noticed me and my two horses, leapt up and jumped in the car and drove off. I let you decided what they were doing!

ruth83

Visit site
I was sauntering along a path once when I spotted a couple having a kiss/cuddle off the track. I didn't think much of it but it then occured to me that her skirt was rather short for a walk in the woods. At that moment my horse blew her nose and the couple jumped apart - the womans skirt suddenly became a couple of feet longer and he turned his back very quickly!! Maybe not just a kiss and a cuddle.

We also had a man who practised Thai Chi in one of the clearings. His JRT would lay on the path a few yards away looking suitably embarrassed!!

Not on a horse but driving down a quiet back country lane a land rover and horse trailer pulled out in front of me and in the back of the trailer, facing me, was a large tyrannasaurus rex model!!!