Anyone ever sent a horse to hartpury college?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
my horse went there for 3 months.due to my injury.
turn out was rubbish or non existent.
he came home a little lean.
but was shiney and healthy.
i know someone who studied there and was told they often ran out of hay after an hour so would go hours without.:-(

he did get over excited in a jumping session, added a buck, rider flew off and broke both ankles!

they didn't sent him home, all the students loved him!

Starzaan

Visit site
I haven't, but I have looked into it and everyone warned me against. While they're looked after well and have lovely facilities, they have absolutely no turnout. I couldn't cope with that for my girl!

CazD

Visit site
My god-daughter studied there. she said she'd never put one of hers on loan there - not sure of the reasons why tho.

ladyt25

Visit site
Shame that it's like that. I am aware Bishop Burton is the same - I am not sure how these colleges can run if they think that is correct horse management/welfare to be honest. I went to Brackenhurst college in Notts and for one year (2nd year) I put my then 6yo horse on working livery there. Now this was 1998 so my memory is a little poor but they did get turnout every day if I recall and in the summer months they were all (barring any that couldn't for one reason or another) turned out overnight.

I think this made for much happier horses and was alsogood for students doing yard duties to be handling horses to and from fields. Maybe Brackenhurst is unique in what they do but I have to say my horse was very chilled and happy there - not all horses will thrive in this environment but he did. He loved attention and was/is a quick learner so was fab in lessons.

I certainly would not have had him on the yard though if there had been no turnout.

Dolcé

Visit site
My daughter also attended an equestrian college, she would never allow one of ours to be sent to one. As above there was lack of turnout, a couple of hours on a weekend, but they were also rigid over feeding, if one ran out of hay/lage it couldn't have any more until late feed ect.

patchyponies123

New User
Visit site
I have known at least three horses that have gone to Hartpury on the loan scheme and all have come back looking and feeling very well.
I believe the turnout is limited throughout the winter but they do tell you about this before the horse goes there. Also, they make quite an effort to get them out of their stables as much as possible.
I think the environment is busy and alot of horses love so much going on, so they do come out more rounded as get used to being ridden and handled by more than one person. :)
I had my horse in a college environment when I was a student (a few years ago) that was a similar set up to Hartpury, and if for some reason I couldnt ride them now, I would happily send them to a college.

montysmum1

Visit site
I have sent 3 horses to Hartpury over the years, 2 thrived, 1 didn't. No fault of the college, it just didn't suit him.

Yes the turn-out is non-existent in the winter, but they do get the horses out of their stables every day, either ridden, lunged, walked/grazed in hand, or in playpen. All the horses were in FAB condition, very fit and shiny. I would have no problem sending another there if it had a suitable temperament.

PM me if you want any more info x

patchyponies123

New User
Visit site
Normally they have a standard routine, mucked out etc in the mornings then go in average 2 lessons a day. The ones I know went out at night until christmas then were stabled over the wet winter months and went out again from about March time I think.
The horses I knew who went to Hartpury were all very different characters so I think they get ridden by different level riders e.g the cob was used in Stage 1 exams, but the TBx was too keen so I think she only went in Stage three exams.
Mine that went to a college was used 2/3 times a day in flat & jump lessons. He was a cheeky chap but I think most people liked him as he had character :)
I was a student then so I saw him everyday, sometimes its hard to watch other people ride your horse but you get used to it and it was so good for mine as he was so used to me. I still used to compete him on weekends so was a really good way of keeping him fit during the week too!

Sophstar

Visit site
Not Hartpury, but a friend brought her horse along when we were studying at an equestrian college and after a month she took him back home. Depending on what the college routine is for the horses, they either love it or hate it or simply cope with it.

None of the horses were turned out through the week and were only put out for the weekend on a Friday afternoon. Some didn't even get this if they were to be ridden by owners or staff over the weekend. Most of the time they had constant hay but it was only filled up morning, lunch and then before yard team went home, so if they ate it all before then they would have to wait. Horses got worked up to 3-4 hours a day and my friend's horse just couldn't cope with the change from living out 24/7 in a relaxed home to the constant interference of students, being ridden so much more or the general activity on the yard.

I would NEVER send a horse to a college unless they loved living in.

annaellie

Visit site
I studied there and had my mare on the loan in the mid 90,s. turnout was poor but she was not a horse that liked being in the field she preferred human company so that suited her fine.
She was a cribber so they made her have a full grill on and moaned about her having the short turnout she did get because she just cribbed on the fence while out.
The horses always had hay and put on the walker daily.
Before we went they were tol that she used to bronc daily for 18 months then continue to bronc when the rider was on the floor but had not done it for a while and was currently very safe but the potential was there. They said that only the higher course riders would be allowed on her and also they were told no whips on her.
I was in a lecture and got called out an wa told she threw someone and they were seriously hurt I later heard that the rider had used a whip on her.
I had her sent home after that although they were happy to keep her.
I think it depends on the horse weather or not it works, my mare did not do well there but some of the other horses done fab.

sarah&max

Visit site
Hi There

Although not Hartpury, My Welsh sec c gelding went to a college as his loan owners did not find him suitable anymore, and as I did not have space to put him back at home, I decided to try a locoal college.

Sounded great to begin with, amazing facilities, horses are ridden up to 3 times a day so would get fit, hydro spa etc...

after a few days of him being there i went to go and see him and ride. As i approached the stable, normally he would pop his head out as soon as anyone called his name, but i got to the door, and he was facing the wall, head hung low, sweaty, ( it was a warm day ) next to nothing for a bed, a tiny automatic waterer, and dusty wooly hay on the floor. There was no life in his eyes, and my once flightful, happy go lucky boy was now miserable and flat. Even to ride he was long, flat, no enthusiasm what so ever! As soon as i walked him back into the stable barn, his eyes just glazed over, and he didn't even want to go into his stable. This was just so upsetting for me. I left it for 5 days and went to ride again, just in case he was just melting from the sun before, as it was the hottest day of the year..This time i took my mum and a friend, and again, before i even said anything, tthey came up with " he looks half dead, miserable, no spirit etc "

Same situation in that the horses here only get turned out for a couple of hours 1 day a week, and i just don't think it suited him at all. So i have decided to bring him home ( now i have space ) and am actually picking him up today! If you do decide to take him there, then change your mind, please do becareful, this college ae charging me a fortune just to get my own horse back e.g. livery, fuel costs and time etc...

please read any contracts fully ( i learnt the hard and expensive way )

I agree with some of the other posts though. Just because it didn't suit max, i reckon it may suit horses who are used to being stabled for long periods of time etc..

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
My little mare got on really well at college. She did about 18 months there. No one liked her to start with as she is quite lazy, but the last term she was there she had a lot of fans and they where upset she wasn't going back. She was at college in near the downs so it meant I could hack out at weekends to give her some variety, but she never went stale in the school and her personality was still as crabby as ever. I had a fantastic experience with the college and would recommend as long as the horse is ok with limited turnout. Ours went out daily from mar/ apr to oct/ nov depending on the weather in small groups on fantastic grazing as it had been cared for by land managment students and not trashed in winter. Luckily mine hates winter, even at livery she would mooch about for a couple of hours then stand by the gate begging to come in!

Pixxie

Visit site
I went to Hartpury finished two years ago now, they have very limited turnout indeed but are out of their stables without fail everyday, hand grazing, ridden, lunged, horse walker etc etc beds are a good depth and Mucked out twice daily. Whilst they were on a limited hay ration they did get 3/4 lots a day and if on the finer side of life did have a larger ration. Always well rugged and fed, groomed at least twice a day every day and tack cleaned everyday, boots on if necessary and no more than 3hrs per day and the students thoroughly adore the horses there usually. However as others have said some thrive some hate it, its a manic environment with comings and goings all day everyday and not always the same handlers. In hartpurys defence they do however take on board and particulars about the horse and take them very seriously such as no whips or must be mounted carefully or girthed up very slowly to name a few things i remember. They also give every horse a long trial and will send horses home. Any questions feel free to PM me and I'm also sure they'd be happy to speak to you about the routine etc if you rang the yard :)

Suzie86

Visit site
Take there as a livery or to be a college horse? I took my pony to me with Moreton morell and he loved it. There is turnout, ok not much but there is so much going on and I used to hand graze , take him for walks, turnout in indoor with his buddy, horse walker and loads of riding so he was fine

marmalade76

Visit site
My Dad sent two to Hartpury on loan a few years ago. As previously said, some thrive, some don't, these two did well and it was just what they needed. The main complaints were that the horse were not kept tidy, manes and tails were not pulled or trimmed (on came home with her tail almost touching the ground) and the tack was virtually worn out.

Re the turn out, my Dad's horse were sent home during the hols, so they were able to have some time out then. Oddly enough, one of the students took pity on one of my Dad's horses and talked him into loaning her privately, where she was wasted just like she had been at home. Whilst on loan she damaged herself perminantly jumping out of a field.

glossigirl

New User
Visit site
I sent my daughter's 16.3 eventer to Hartpury when she was a student there a few years ago. We thought about the loan scheme but as he was a competition horse this wasn't suitable for him at the time as we didn't want different people riding him so he went as a DIY livery.

He was very happy with the routine there, we had no problems with the amount of hay and bedding provided, and it was great until winter came. We did then find that the limited turnout (which we'd been warned about) made life difficult with him as he stiffened up a bit, even though he was able to go on the horse walker and into a playpen each day.

He's now retired from competition and, at 17 years old, isn't likely to be spoilt by being ridden by different riders. He'd probably love the daily attention. Apart from the fact that we know he needs daily turnout, I'd have no reservations in sending him back to Hartpury as a loan horse. It really is a case of the routine suits some horses better than others and DIY will probably be better than the loan scheme for younger, quirky or competition horses.