Anyone feed alfalfa pellets?

cobgirlie

Visit site
I've bought a bag to start the Cob boys on..mainly to save money, maintain their weight which is about what I would like, and because Little Cob cannot have anything which has sugar in it seems a easy feed that will suit both of them.

So questions are if you do feed it have you found it good? Do the horses enjoy it? And how do you feed it? I'd prefer to soak it as I have to add supplements to LC's feed (for his intolerances) and wet food makes this easier. If soaked how long do you leave it, and how long does it last been kept before use?

:D Fank u!

JCWHITE

Visit site
At the moment I have no fresh keep, so both mares have fifty fifty Luzerne and beet soaked.
A double handful of each, soaked overnight.This makes 2 feeds each along with a litre of coarse mix.
I add a general suppliment at the last minute.
Beware alfalfa/luzerne could be rocket fuel......
I would adjust according to work done, weather,and will stop the Luzerne as soon as the grass comes through.
Someone else will be along shortly I feel!!
JC

cobgirlie

Visit site
At the moment I have no fresh keep, so both mares have fifty fifty Luzerne and beet soaked.
A double handful of each, soaked overnight.This makes 2 feeds each along with a litre of coarse mix.
I add a general suppliment at the last minute.
Beware alfalfa/luzerne could be rocket fuel......
I would adjust according to work done, weather,and will stop the Luzerne as soon as the grass comes through.
Someone else will be along shortly I feel!!
JC

Ahh thank you JC...wasn't aware of the rocket fuel effect!!! Not an issue for Big Cob but Little Cob really doesn't need any more added 'bounce'!!! Could be interesting!!! I soaked 1kg yesterday and noticed it makes a lovely amount, easily split between the 2 boys so it does seem very economical..its not like they need feeding up so I'll monitor the 'effects' but it does seem a good option for me.

sarahann1

Visit site
Yep, I feed it along with Alpha-oil and sugarbeet to my IDXTB. I like it, its cheap as chips for the energy you get from it (9mj/kg) and my horse seems to eat it no bother. He was underweight when I got him and on that combination of feed plus add-lib haylage he's put on about 60kg :)

I make up my feeds the night or morning before so normally they soak for a minimum of 6hrs, but on the Alpha-pellets says you only need to soak it for about 15mins. I don't bulk soak the pellets in the same way you'd do for sugarbeet.

I've not found the rocket fuel affect myself, but I have heard of others who have had issues, when I asked the Dengie folk about this they said it was because many folk have fed it alongside other feeds with high energy.

D

Donkeymad

I ordered some Alfalfa Pellets today, and, as with the feedstore, there seems to be some confusion between these and other Alpha Nuts.
Alfalfa Pellets are very low sugar and do not need soaking, so should not become rocket fuel for any animal.

Perissa

Visit site
I feed Dengie alfalfa pellets and don't soak them, however they do recommend that if you are feeding larger quantities of them that you do but my horse gets one level scoop a day in two feeds which doesn't require soaking. He also gets speedibeet so his feeds are plenty wet enough.