Anyone feed Bailey racing nuts for condition?

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Contemplating putting my TB on the Baileys no4 for condition, but noticed that the Baileys No11 racing cubes are very similar in nutritional value and are cheaper to buy. Does anyone feed the racing cubes instead?! The thought of feeding him 'racing cubes' makes me slightly nervous, lol!

Comparison below:

Baileys No4:

DIGESTIBLE ENERGY 13.5MJ/kg
PROTEIN 12.5%
OIL 5.5%
FIBRE 9%
ASH 6%

Baileys No11 Racing cubes:

ENERGY 13.5MJ/kg
PROTEIN 13%
OIL 5.5%
FIBRE 9%
ASH 6%
CALCIUM 0.9%
PHOSPHORUS 0.5%

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I have tried to do this as I also read they are exactly the same but struggled to get hold of them from 2 of my normal feed stores everywhere said I would need to order them in which isn't a problem but with only having one it's hand to just pop in and pick up what I need.

It amazes me that they can advertise almost 2 identical feeds one for rest to light work one for hard work!!

oldywoldy

Visit site
No not a good idea at all a racing feed is not designed for putting weight on at all it will probably blow your horses brains completely. Get a feed designed to put on weight and condition can recommend balanced horse feeds show mix which is fantastic for putting on condition particularly thoroughbreds and is non heating.

honetpot

Visit site
I am a feed tart and will feed any brand/type as long as its cheap and branded. Perhaps I am just lucky I add the old sack to the new sack to mix the two and have never had a reaction. I fed racehorse food to a retired TB for calories with no adverse effects.

Firewell

Visit site
Tbh I don't see why not! They are essentially the same thing. Be wary though, I used the number 4 cubes on my late mare and she turned into a she devil. They did perk her up rather!

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
No not a good idea at all a racing feed is not designed for putting weight on at all it will probably blow your horses brains completely. Get a feed designed to put on weight and condition can recommend balanced horse feeds show mix which is fantastic for putting on condition particularly thoroughbreds and is non heating.

The ingredients are exactly the same as Baileys No4 conditioning cubes except I think one of the minerals is slightly more (from the top of my head) I think Baileys have also done this with another product, exactly the same ingredients and make up but branded for 2 different uses.

PolarSkye

Visit site
The ingredients are exactly the same as Baileys No4 conditioning cubes except I think one of the minerals is slightly more (from the top of my head) I think Baileys have also done this with another product, exactly the same ingredients and make up but branded for 2 different uses.

And here is a perfect example of the scams perpetrated every day by the horse feed companies :).

P

chestnuttyy

Visit site

I wouldn't even consider feeding it if I thought it might blow his brains due to being 'special' race horse food, but considering it's exactly the same ingredients as No.4 (conditioning mix) I thought it might be worth trying.

dominobrown

Visit site
Put my ex-racer on it to put on condition to help him fatten him up. i found ready mash extra better mind, but it certainly didn't fizz him up.
Does anyone actually know if anyone uses No. 11 for racing? No one I know feeds it, everyone uses Spillers HDF power cubes, or the odd fussy horse gets Red mills. I am not sure if I got another pointer, I would race it off No. 11.

scheherazade

Visit site
I used to feed this in the winter and was fab stuff. Never had any issues with blowing brains, I thought racehorses generally needed more stamina, not more fizz. Last thing you'd want is a racehorse being too fizzy, it would waste too much time titting about on the spot and not moving forward?? Just my opinion.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wouldn't even consider feeding it if I thought it might blow his brains due to being 'special' race horse food, but considering it's exactly the same ingredients as No.4 (conditioning mix) I thought it might be worth trying.

Ive known someone do this and yes it worked. Im sure you could ring Baileys and ask their advice? Most feed companies are very helpful like this.

Visit site
It's all down to the way people think! You say raehorse food and people go - oh no! That will make my horse crazy! You say conditioning food and they think - ah! It will make my horse fat and lazy! When in fact it's not what's in the food thats the problem, it's what you do with the protein that makes the difference.

The racehorse's use the protein to put into muscle and slow release energy. A show horse say, would be putting it into topline and weightgain. It all depends on the workload of the horse.

Visit site
Put my ex-racer on it to put on condition to help him fatten him up. i found ready mash extra better mind, but it certainly didn't fizz him up.
Does anyone actually know if anyone uses No. 11 for racing? No one I know feeds it, everyone uses Spillers HDF power cubes, or the odd fussy horse gets Red mills. I am not sure if I got another pointer, I would race it off No. 11.

We do! We have nearly 100 horses racing on No. 11. We always used to have them on straight oats and an oat ballancer and only the odd horse that was prone to tying up would be fed No. 11 but now everthing is on it and they all look fab and go fab.

chestnuttyy

Visit site
It's all down to the way people think! You say raehorse food and people go - oh no! That will make my horse crazy! You say conditioning food and they think - ah! It will make my horse fat and lazy! When in fact it's not what's in the food thats the problem, it's what you do with the protein that makes the difference.

The racehorse's use the protein to put into muscle and slow release energy. A show horse say, would be putting it into topline and weightgain. It all depends on the workload of the horse.

Very true... though I might still hide the bag so he doesn't get any ideas!! haha.

Zeb93

Visit site
I feed it to my ex racer along with outshine and its the only thing that seems to make a difference. Our local feed store orders it in for us and its £3 a bag cheaper than the no.4 cubes. It has made no difference to his character, so far really pleased with it :)

chestnuttyy

Visit site
I feed it to my ex racer along with outshine and its the only thing that seems to make a difference. Our local feed store orders it in for us and its £3 a bag cheaper than the no.4 cubes. It has made no difference to his character, so far really pleased with it :)

:) great to hear. Sadly just checked with my feed merchant and it's only 90p cheaper than No4!! Gutted :(

McW

Visit site
Interesting it's because it's a working feed its cheaper because it's not subject to vat I believe... So chestnutty I think your feed store is making a hefty profit on that bag!

travelmad

Visit site
I used to as I had a private discussion with one of the baileys nutritionists outside of their day job and was told that it's approximately the same thing. Apparently so is the polo cubes bag. If it saves you £2 or more per bag go for it! Also if your looking for density I would go for the cubes rather than the mix.

Last edited:

Julia0803

Visit site
A friend uses this on her mare, having swapped form no. 4.

She has put weight on, as required, and friend is very happy with it.

3bh

Visit site
I think if you compare, stud cubes are exactly the same as "topline conditioning cubes" - and cheaper!!