Anyone Feed Normal Sugar Beet Anymore?

djlynwood

Visit site
I feed it with out any issues last winter as my mare did not like the speedi beet so I changed it to normal sugarbeet.

I was thinking of just doing the same again this winter. People seem amazed that I would be feeing this to my horse. She does not react to sugar and she is shod so Im not looking to improve her feet. They are good already.

So, does anyone still feed this and why do you prefer to as opposed to speedibeet?

Archiepoo

Visit site
i use normal sugar beet i find it a good fibre feed and none of my horses have ever had a problem with it . you can feed it in large quantities safely for conditioning and its relatively cheap compared to most feeds. i would only stop using it if a horse was sensitive to sugar or laminetic

Joyous70

Visit site
I always used to feed sugar beet to my horses, last few years i stopped as my old boy was getting more forage and the younger one would balloon on any more than a handful of feed, even in the depths of winter. I am considering getting a sack this year for the old man, and may even let my youngster have a small scoop (I love proper sugar beet, I think its like porridge for horses)

Nudibranch

Visit site
I don't think our local feed store even sells it any more! Having owned a Cushings veteran I am very careful with feed and won't even feed it to the others as a preventative measure. When the CB arrived I took her straight off molassed beet and coarse mix which is what she'd been fed previously. I know you're not worried about hoof health OP but the change in her feet was dramatic.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
No not since my mums horse got lami last year and so i refuse to feed my horse anything to sugary or starchy as preventative too. We do use speedi beet which is also so convenient!!

theraven

Visit site
I do, pellets though, I still, even after all this time, don't trust Speedibeet. I'd rather it be soaked over night, it is no more hassel tbh.

Micky

Visit site
I know a few people who still feed normal sugarbeet and bran and oats and horse/pony nuts...and the horses are all sane and in hard work :)
If it works for your horse, great!

TBB

Visit site
Have always fed it without any problems. None of our horses have any foot problems (never heard of it causing foot problems) and its fed to everything from weanlings to veterans and everything in between including in foal broodmares (both Tbs and Sport horses). We always used the shredded pulp until it started to come more coarsely shredded and even after soaking still contained the odd hard lump, so now we use the beet pulp nuts and yes we go for the molassed version and have no problems with sanity or bad feet.

Rouletterose

Visit site
I know a few people who still feed normal sugarbeet and bran and oats and horse/pony nuts...and the horses are all sane and in hard work :)
If it works for your horse, great!

As mine are, always fed straights no health issues whatsoever they thrive on it.

YellowBoots

Visit site
I do. I dump the pellets into a big bucket last thing at night and cover them with water. They're perfect by the next morning. (Though I did learn to leave the bucket in the tack room and not the feed room. The tack room is heated. The feed room isn't. Guess what happened last winter?)

marmalade76

Visit site
Yep, I feed all three of my native/native cross molassed beet every winter without issue and will continue to do so. I do use speedibeet too at times, but the Supabeet is so much better value for money so when I up the feeds this is what I buy.

kazhar

Visit site
I dont use speedibeet- I use sugar beet pellets but the unmollassed version so still soaked overnight. That is normal sugarbeet to me as it has nothing added. I very occasionally use the mollassed stuff during endurance season but there is more than enough sugar in the grass without me giving extra.

xTrooperx

Visit site
I only feed in winter when cold or if need meds as find they lick pot clean getting all meds, my lot love it with warm water added just before giving it to them on really cold days.