Anyone feed oats?

Starzaan

Visit site
Two of my liveries are fed oats. One is a 16.3hh ID hunter who needs a bit more oomph, he gets a scoop of rolled oats in his usual feed morning and evening.

The other is an eventer who was lacking "sparkle". He's a 17hh ISH and he has 1/2 scoop of tiger oats morning and evening.

They are both on Red Mills Hioil Racehorse Mix and Mollichaff Showshine as well as their oats.

crabbymare

Visit site
They all get oats, mostly w/b and tb mares foals and youngsters and a few riding horses. It varies but from 1/2 to 1 stubbs round soop twice a day is normal here.

Janah

Visit site
I don't feed oats as my boy is fine as he is, especially as at the moment as he is on box rest, nopthing to do with his feet. If I felt he needed extra energy I would happily feed oats.

Just to add he is on a barefoot diet.

Gilbey

Visit site
My 18 year old cob has rolled oats to give him more oomph :) and it works without making him silly, just a nice lad to ride. My OH dressage horse has Tiger Oats which keep him in tip top condition. Both are fed Blue Chip and Hi Fi Lite :)

BlackRider

Visit site
My veteran has about 3/4 scoop of bruised oats divided into 3 feeds to help with condition.

I do soak them first though, and it also balances well with the sugar beet.

Tash88

Visit site
I fed oats to my last horse and it certainly gave him more energy and spark, without making him any sharper or silly. They really suited him, although they aren't for every horse; you just have to start gradually. I started with a handful (think they were Saracen rolled oats) and then after a week increased it to 1/3 a scoop in his evening feed, with 1 scoop of hi-fi lite and 1/2 scoop of fibre nuts. He was a very good doer (15.3 ISH) and they didn't add any unnecessary condition either.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I have done in the past - but found a different feed more effective.

What do you use instead, have had daughters pony on oats and competition mix but not really done much could do with somethng else. Used to use maize in the past but that would be to fattening for a pony.

diddy

Visit site
Hiya,

Like Shysmum, I tried my 14.2 cob on rolled oats last year to pep him up a bit but it had no effect whatsoever! However, he really likes them compared to the mixes I've tried him on & I think there's something very satisfying about giving him what looks like a good old-fashioned breakfast so might go back to them again this winter :)

D. x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Have recently, well over the last few months, rediscovered the benefits of oats. I fed rolled oats but then discovered this article which was very interesting:

http://www.equineiridology.eu/oat.php

and

http://thunderbrook.co.uk/mature-organic-oats/

Have now started introducing soaked whole oats (sprouting oats) and she is doing very well on it. I went back to straights a couple of years ago and I wouldn't ever go back to compound feeds again...

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Hiya,

Like Shysmum, I tried my 14.2 cob on rolled oats last year to pep him up a bit but it had no effect whatsoever! However, he really likes them compared to the mixes I've tried him on & I think there's something very satisfying about giving him what looks like a good old-fashioned breakfast so might go back to them again this winter :)

D. x

When I was a kid I had an incredibly lazy pony and one year at pony club camp they tried to turn this around by feeding her enough oats to launch most ponies into space. No effect at all.

I think Oats are underrated as a feed nowadays but their pep potential is a bit overrated.

Sparkles

Visit site
Over winter I do :) My boy gets oats, maize, linseed and sugarbeet normally. Scoop of each 2-3 times a day.

The cob babies get loose oats/maize/barley on top of the hay in the field.

The old show cob used to have as many tiger oats as we could fit in him.....