Anyone got a good treatment for thrush?

Heidi1

Visit site
Hydrogen Peroxide - get it from any chemist, pour it straight on to the problem area it will fizz up, I tend to do it for a few days.

spaniel

Visit site
Yep, HP, any good chemists and about a £1 a bottle.

Get yourself a huge syringe, mix it according to the instructions (add water) and squirt it round the foot. Keep it off feathers and clothing as it will bleach. Fizzes up creating oxygen which the thrush bacteria cannot live in as they are anaerobic.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
My farrier recommended clotmirazole cream (sold as canestan) for a horse with thrush on box rest. Worked very well! Just dont tell the chemist what you are going to do with it
blush.gif

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Foot rot spray. And i would imagine the canestan thing could work too. as does HP, it works but you can only use it to clear up the thrush not continually because it will the eat away the good tissue

saalsk

Visit site
I use Athletes Foot spray on cleaned/scrubbed feet daily for 5 days. Thrush is a fungus, similar to the fungal infection that causes Athletes Foot. It can get infected though, so I normally scrub the feet daily with a disinfectant (usually iodine) to check they are clean.

Silverspring

Visit site
If boxed at night cleaning with dilute HP then applying a mixes of iodine and sugar to the foot, nappy and bandage. The sugar hardens the iodine onto the hoof so the iodine gets longer to work. My firend WB had dreadful thrush in his frog for nearly 6 months, in the end she had to d othis for about 6 weeks, cleared it right up
smile.gif

Bugly

Visit site
my old lad is prone to Thursh (weird as the others don't get it!)

...I have used sheep foot root spray (but always end up spraying myself purple and getting it all over my arm!) and HP with success but recently bought Kevin Bacon hoof oil (sorry cant remember the name but its the brown creamy one and it actually says on the tub that it is good for thrush)...well I have found that marvellous stuff- it keeps the frog nice and dry but moisturised.

So I do that one day, one day a quick squirt of HP and then nothing. Is working wonders!

wyldstallionguy

New User
Visit site
How bad is it?

Thrush can be either bacterial, fungal or both; so a antibacterial application wont work on a fungal thrush & vice versa. So......
use something that has both properties as already suggested ..Iodine..

Also if you want a natural approach try BITTER ALMOND OIL mixed with honey.
Honey has natural antibiotic properties & bitter almond is exceptionally antibacterial/fungal.

kendra2705

Visit site
hello aroclense used for foot rot in sheep is the best ive ever come across. It clears it up within days the only problem is the tack shops dont allways stock it and you will have to ring a few to find which one does , due to them having to buy it in 6 packs and dont think the turnover is good for them , give it a go lasts ages will stay in your grooming box for years and still works