Anyone got a 'van' horsebox?

cob&onion

Visit site
What about this type:

Would it be big enough to carry a 12hh pony and a 15.1hh LW COB?!

24ynx2a.jpg

madeperfectly007

Visit site
I've owned a van conversion and a 3.5t coachbuilt horsebox and both were terrible just not strong enough there not designed to carry they weight of horses. Far to flimsy!! I had this ancient 3.5t which was a flat bed van with an ifor william body which was fantastic. I would advise going for one like this! This others were dangerous to say the least!

Conkerock

Visit site
Cob&onion - that box is certainly 'big enough' to take the horses you mention but you would need to weigh it to know the payload. My understanding is that coach built boxes like the one pictured are heavier than the van conversions leaving you less weight for the horses etc

cob&onion

Visit site
Cob&onion - that box is certainly 'big enough' to take the horses you mention but you would need to weigh it to know the payload. My understanding is that coach built boxes like the one pictured are heavier than the van conversions leaving you less weight for the horses etc

I think most of the time it would ne just my cob and myself or 12hh pony and my 8yr daughter - maybe odd occasion where there might be the two together.
Are the type I pictured generally safer than the van type?

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've just recently purchased a 3.5t horse box and I've taken it to a weighbridge fully laden with just one 15.2 cob, and everything I would ever have in it, full tank of fuel etc and no way would I have enough payload to carry another horse or pony. But it was only ever bought to carry one anyway. But it is fantastic to drive, my horse travels well and I love it.

meesha

Visit site
I have had the 3.5tonne Ifor Williams back on transit front, yes the body is strong but my horse did one journey in it and refused to go back in and I had been driving very very carefully (not too nice to drive either as it felt wallowy), I ended up having to ride ten miles home then sold the lorry. I was warned off them by a friend as the centre of gravity is too high so they wallow and roll .... I will listen next time !

Regarding the lorry pictured its my understanding they often have a higher payload as the body is purpose built on a flat bed van but they are usually around £ 15,000 because of this this. Burley horseboxes had a lovely one nearly finished but way out of my price range, head height was more so would have taken 17.2 s easily.

coen

Visit site
I don't have one but have hired many times and they have always been fab. I have a 16.1 so it is usually just him but have also travelled with another 15.3 horse without any problems at all, there was also no problem with space/height.
I would love one but cant really justify the cost so may have to get a trailer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I looked at one the other day just out if interest as it was at a horsebox dealers yard we visited to look at a different box, they are far too small for a horse no way would I travel anything over 14h in one and thats pushing it they are pony boxes plain and simple.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
This thread has inspired me to get my 3.5 re-weighed at a weighbridge as although I know what it's payload is supposed to be (1.2), I've had work done to it since then that will have added weight AND I have no idea whether the original weighing included the spare tyre, full tank of fuel etc. I'm also going to fill it with all my usual competition stuff, two sets of tack etc. so I know *exactly* how much I have to play with for horse (or horses), passengers or staying away gear.

Just got back from my local weighbridge - with a full tank of fuel, me and ALL my 'day competition' stuff except the actual horse I still had 800kgs spare to play with. He weighs about 530, so I'm happy that I've also got spare payload for 'weekend away' stuff like haylage, sleeping bag and portaloo.

It only cost £5 and it turned out that my nearest weighbridge was just 10mins away from the yard so I highly recommend it.