Anyone got ideas to help daughter stop pony bucking?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
8yo old daughter is keen on mounted games. Her pony is 16 and a schoolmaster type although games are new to him. He is a little on the big side(12.2hh) but he is not a strong pony. The only issue we have is during the games. She is a novice and her team are doing games in trot or slow canter. Her pony is ok with the equipment but will throw a buck if she attempts to canter. The only other time he has done this is during the lap of honour at showjumping, so I do think it may be excitement, but I would like to see it nipped in the bud.....

Arizahn

Visit site
Have you checked all the usual - teeth, feet, back, bridle/saddle fitting, feed, etc? Eliminate any and all possible physical reasons first.

After that, maybe try putting a more experienced rider on him to practice his transitions into canter, this would help to determine if your daughter is accidentally causing the issue.

If she is, then lots of schooling for her! If she is riding him perfectly, and it's nothing physical, then lots of schooling for the pony!

Definitely talk to your instructor about the issue...good luck!

Old Bat

Visit site
A lot of mounted games work involves leaning to one side to use the equipment, I would have back and saddle checked first in case it is discomfort related.

smiggy

Visit site
Im sure its probably excitement. Son does games and one of his ponies was like this when we introduced it to games. really suprised us as he had never had any inclination to buck before, just a bit mind blowing I think!
maybe an older rider could have a go, he needs someone brave enough to kick him on through the bucks and get on with the job, and would be a shame to put your daughter off!