Anyone got/used a Thundershirt for anxiety?

Greylegs

Visit site
As the firework season approaches we're looking at ways to keep our little Collie/staffie cross happy. He is extremely sensitive to the noise and flashes and literally goes hysterical if fireworks are being let off nearby. Of course we live a few yards from the local pub where they hold a huge display every year so usually end up having to literally bunk off to a remote area for a couple of days to avoid it.

Now, someone has recommended we try one of these ...

www.thundershirt.co.uk

Totally new one on me and I'm struggling a bit with the whole concept as it won't do anything to minimise the noise. Has anyone any experience of them before we lash out and get one (willing to try just about anything to help him). Thanks.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
The Thundershirt can help, I had one dog who responded to it and another that it makes no difference to. It is not a magic cure, but can help, it certainly wont make your dog calm if you are living next to a fireworks display and I would continue to not be around when that happens. If you give it a try don't just put it on when there is about to be fireworks or he will associate the shirt with the start of those noises.

I usually give my lad an extra long walk, big dinner including some pasta or potato for extra carbs, loud tv ( sorry neighbours!), kitchen fan on and give him a comfy, dark area to hide in if he wants. This works reasonably well for us, but we only have to put up with local fireworks.

shannonandtay

Visit site
Unfortunately it didn't work for our Kerry blue, who has a very bad reaction to fireworks and storms. Things have got so bad that we now have to give prescribed Valium over the worst few nights of fireworks but being as we have them for three months and then every religious festival you can think of I would love to find a better way of helping her fireworks issues.

I've tried the diffusser, a den, thundershirt and have also tried to dis sensitise none of which have made the slightest bit of difference. I'm dreading fireworks season already, so I wish you luck and hope it's not too terrible for your dog.

CMcC

Visit site
Unfortunately it didn't work for our Kerry blue, who has a very bad reaction to fireworks and storms. Things have got so bad that we now have to give prescribed Valium over the worst few nights of fireworks but being as we have them for three months and then every religious festival you can think of I would love to find a better way of helping her fireworks issues.

I've tried the diffusser, a den, thundershirt and have also tried to dis sensitise none of which have made the slightest bit of difference. I'm dreading fireworks season already, so I wish you luck and hope it's not too terrible for your dog.

I had a Kerry Blue who was the same, thunder, fireworks and shooting all made her a quivering wreck. Neighbour has a fortnightly shoot in the winter which meant she was in a terrible state every other Saturday. Fortunately neighbour is also a vet so about this time of year would get a note of shoot dates in the post box and a box of sedatives for the dog. In every other way she was a very confident and happy dog, no idea what caused it.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Try the anxiety wrap instead which is the original and slightly different, thundershirt changed the design slightly for theirs to get round the Patent laws. I used to sell the anxiety wraps and used one on my very noise phobic dog, a staffie x lab, it did help a lot but never eliminated it completely.It has straps at the rear that go round their legs, where they seem to store their negative energy or that's the theory. If you watch a nervous dog that makes sense as they tuck their tails under them and cower their rear end down.
I also use Rescue remedy that's added to the calming effect.
Normally where I used to live in Caterham on the Hill in Surrey it was like the Blitz from beginning of October right through to January, we got so sick of them going off at 3 am and during the day that we moved to rural Wales, we haven't heard one since being here.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Oz

Last edited: