Anyone hack in a Heather Moffett Flexee?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Considering one of these for my youngster. I had a Phoenix dressage saddle a while back and it was comfy but I always thought that I wouldn't like to do long rides in it in case my seatbones produced pressure points. I know the Flexee has a leather tree - is that enough to distribute weight well? The youngster in question is barrel-shaped so I need something wide enough for her! Hopefully a Balance saddle eventually but I can't afford a new one at the moment.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Yup. Used one for hours on end with the CB and have gone back to one for the youngster (who hated it first time round). He's very clear in his indications if the saddle isn't spot on, but he goes well in the Flexee. Personally I prefer the pre gullet version, though he's not particularly barrel shaped.

If you've not laid hands on one yet, you wouldn't really know it's a leather tree. It still feels rigid (ie not like a treeless).

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks - that's all very positive. Do the saddles sort of flex to the correct width in front? The one I'm looking at is before they had a metal front arch. My youngster is really wide - my Balance Horizon is about right for her at the front but the tree doesn't suit her (she is really flat and it has a bit of a curve) so wondering if these saddles would give her the necessary width?

Achinghips

Visit site
Some swear by them. It made my well schooled horse just go backwards continuously though haha, he didn't like it at all!

Nudibranch

Visit site
My pre gullet has the movable panels so you can adjust the width easily. Put it this way - on a thorowgood gullet he's a w-xw but I have my Flexee set up almost as narrow as I can get it without shimming...so looks like there would be lots of room to spare! You can use the newer versions without the gullet plates as well I believe.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The pre-gullet flexee will mold to fit a super-wide horse I do believe. Not had a flexee myself but have used my vogues for years on a variety of horses who have been regularly checked by ACPAT physios - never had soreness caused by the saddle.