Anyone had a horse with one leg longer than the other?

jojoebony

Visit site
Vet came out for Stitch today. He injured his right hind in August - a puncture wound just above the hock that damaged his SDFT. It was touch and go at the time as he got a severe infection. He made a seemingly miraculous recovery and only a trained eye would have noted that he was not 100% behind.
About six weeks ago I noticed him dipping behind. Vet came out three weeks ago for something else and noted the dipping but felt this was a minor set back as he'd been on box rest for another problem.
Got the vet back out today as I felt it was getting worse. Vet agrees. He did below the hock nerve blocks that were positive but that doesn't seem to be the only problem. We think there is a problem with his pelvis and it also appears he has 1 hind leg longer than the other. His point of hock on the damaged leg is about 3/4" higher although it appears that this is his shorter leg.
The vet is back out on Friday to take measurements, scan the tendon and do more specific blocks?
I've never heard of this before and whilst the info/diagnosis is pretty vague at the moment, I wondered if anyone else had any info/ideas about this?
confused.gif

This is also the horse with swellings on his front fetlocks, which sounds like OCD but has responded well to anti inflams and painkillers.

DuckToller

Visit site
Not sure if this is at all relevant, but I had a horse with an asymetric pelvis many years ago. Vet suspected he had injured it in a fall and then had muscled up more one side than the other, so one side of his quarters were slightly higher and more rounded.

But if the hocks are out of line and the higher one is the shorter leg, that doesn't sound like pelvis...

rcm_73

Visit site
I had a horse with a shortened tendon, he was born with it, he could still do most things but wasn't happy with jumping and could be a bit awkward if his shorter leg was on the outside of a circle. I just recently sold him as a hack.

jojoebony

Visit site
I'll try and get some piccies to post. It's got us all baffled but hopefully we might find out more at the weekend.
Thankfully I will be more than happy just keeping him as a hack although we did think he had potential for dressage.
The shortened tendon sounds like a real possibility. I wonder if his lower leg has grown longer to compensate - the inital injury was in August, he's grown 2" since then???
Jo

Orangehorse

Visit site
You could also try a Bowen treatment, which works the muscles fibres and releases tension, which might be holding him in a pattern in which the leg appears shorter.

I would try that first, because it is very gentle and surprising effective. I don't think it would do any harm.

My Bowen therapist had an equine science degree and did Bowen afterwards, so well qualified and worked with the vets.