Anyone harrow with a quad bike? Does it work?

catembi

Visit site
I only have 4 acres, on a slope. I sold my compact tractor when I moved and don’t really want another one as I was a bit scared of it. Would a quad bike pull a harrow? Are there light harrows for them? My tractor’s framed chain harrow was too heavy for 2 people to move. Any experiences, good or bad, please?

honetpot

Visit site
I have used chain harrows behind a car, and then weighted the chains with a pallet. I know what you mean about the frame harrow we have a Dexter and its my husbands worst job putting them on.

Finlib

Visit site
Yes harrow roll and top with a quad. It's a Honda big red 4 wheel drive and does it just fine.Topper has its own power as no p.t.o. on quad. Roller is a ballast roller. Would recommend to get the biggest engine and definitely 4 wheel drive.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I harrow with our old 4 x 4 and in the dry I have done it with my kia C'eed - with the harrows tied to the inside of the boot because it didn't have a tow bar.

I can't justify any vehicle for using only in the fields given how often we do things our there.

OP alternative is to get someone in to harrow for you - even if it's £40-50 an hour still cheaper than securely storing and maintaining a quad

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We use our SORNed older Shogun to tow the grass harrows, ballast roller and arena leveller. Much less attractive to the sticky fingered than a quad. We did enquire about a quad once, the Honda chap told us we would need a beefy 4x4 one to do the same job.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We harrow with just a couple of links of chain harrow, with a lawnmower (Countax). OH can lift it on one link at a time, and even the links break in 2. Obviously it means more driving up and down as 2 links is not so wide, but it is no effort really.

catembi

Visit site
I was thinking about a ride on lawnmower but they don’t seem to have much ground clearance?

Unfortunately we don’t have a 4x4 car! We have an aygo and an elderly Saab... 🤔

meleeka

Visit site
I was thinking about a ride on lawnmower but they don’t seem to have much ground clearance?

Some do. I have one with cutting deck and one that’s had it removed and that’s as high as a quad.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

We have actually, last week, sold the Countax, but it was 18 1/2 years old by then. In summer it cut and collected the grass, rolled, harrowed, had a trailer to carry logs, had a sprayer to... well, spray. In winter it had a blade on the back to level the arena.

Our fields are in the flatlands area, but are ridge and furrow, so quite challenging for a little mower.

The only time that ground clearance was an issue was with the collector, as that could make the back wheels not go deep enough into the little ditches between the ridge and furrow. The back wheels wold spin and I would need a push out.

We only sold it as we are now feeling our age, and have got one with a front loader so no more carrying poo up into the muck trailer. The sprayer and trailer fit the new one, as does the harrow, but we have gone for a mulching deck instead of a collector as we have not had ragwort for years other than perhaps 3 plants a year, which we deal with as and when. I think we paid £3,500 for the old one in 2000, and just sold it for £600, so it owes us nothing after 18 years of work.

Having said that, the new one is bigger and easier, although bizarrely we have gone for a second hand one with exactly the same number of hours on it as the old one. The bigger one will, I hope, stand up to the work for at least as many hours again as the last one, so hoping for another 18 years!.

The last one needed a bit of welding on the chassis, and the steering was a bit loose, but it started first time every time. It was very much not scary to drive.

whiteflower

Visit site
I've used a quad with chain harrows and it does an ok job, I do however find the tractor and framed harrows do a better job (I'm guessing as they are heavier ) however some ideas above re weighting it may help.
Our quad can pull quite a weight quite comfortably.
The main issue with a quad is how desirable they are to the criminal fraternity. We often have them go round here and they go to extreme lengths to take them, they can be easily popped in the back of a van hence easy pickings. If you go for one store it in a building out of sight, ground anchor it into concrete , alarm it.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Im confused as well! I want to buy a harrow to pull with mini tractor lawn mower so I guess its got to be a small one & will that be any good? Our fields are very dry so maybe I should get one to pull with the car??

Antw23uk

Visit site
We used the old Honda CRV this year and will use the Kia Sorento next spring with the neighbours chain harrow. Cant afford the luxuries of a quad or tractor, lol!

honetpot

Visit site
The smallest car I have used to chain harrow is a Citroen AX, an overgrown lawn mower. I did get the Rover 75 stuck when I misjudged the depth of a muddy bit.
I want another AX to use with my fertiliser spreader on. Unless it really muddy they are so light they never get stuck and if you take the back seats out they carry four bales of hay and have excellent ground clearance.

Asha

Visit site
We use a quad , and have done for years . My last one was stolen, and we ummed and arrrd about what to replace it with. Tractors where just too expensive, OH wouldn’t have an old car . So as the quad did us proud last time , we’ve gone for that again. It easily goes the arena grader , and has no problems towing a chain Harrow . My new one even has a winch in the front , which I didn’t think I would use . But I did , it actually helped pull a load of fence posts out . Proper impressed !! It’s also great for running around the field checking for rabbit holes etc etc