Anyone have a horse with sidebone

eventergirl87

Visit site
Earlier this year my horse went lame........ it was later found that he had sidebone (that we were not aware of) and had fractured it.

Now it is completly fixed.

Basically was just wondering how you handle/deal/manage your horse with sidebone............things you do and dont do etc....

thank you
smile.gif

Nailed

Visit site
I think ted may have a bit of side bone. His fore legs seem to have bits of calcification on the coronets and he is perfectly fine (this is not a diagnosed thing) But he is definatly sound.
Lou x

eventergirl87

Visit site
has made me a bit happier
smile.gif

as we never knew before that he had it he was obv not shod for it and i think that was the problem.

now we have a fab farrier that makes his special shoes
laugh.gif

jcberry

Visit site
We have to have eggbar shoes atm, to keep him balanced and is still on bute every other day, he is not lame now, therefore we have started riding again.

he only had them at the front legs, pretty big bones on the left foot ( i think
blush.gif
) got lots of x rays too
laugh.gif

mitchellk

Visit site
Had an ex small hunter with side bone in both front coronets (aparently unusual in tb types) we kept him sound with an excellent farrier and avoided too much troting on hard surfaces (ie the road) and stayed clear of hard ground. He also used to paw the concrete at his stable door so put down rubber mats.
As soon as he started feeling the ground we would give him a small holiday and he was kept on no-bute, he is now a pony club mount and hasn't had a lame day!

catembi

Visit site
I had a horse with sidebone and it didn't bother her at all except she used to kick it sometimes, so I put a sausage boot on that fetlock & she was fine.