Anyone have a treeless saddle? also in NL

clairel

Visit site
I have been thinking of trying one on my big horse as I think my saddles are restricting his shoulder movement and pinching. He has changed shape so much they can't still fit him properly.

I'm obviously going to get my dressage saddle (bought especially for him) looked at and see if it can be altered enough, but the jumping saddle has never really been great (but couldn't afford 2 new saddles, and a new horse!) So had thought about trying a treeless one....thoughts?

Thanks!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have just bought a Barefoot treeless saddle in the dressage model (called the London). It is a bit of a difference, and a much wider feel, and I've only had it a month - had one on trial first from www.bettersaddles.co.uk to check if I liked it and get the back man to fit it.

I like it though, got my highest ever dressage mark at the riding club regional horse trials and we qualified for the champs. He seems comfortable in it, and instructor says he moves well (although new instructor so never saw his previous saddle on him)

I bought mine as my Chiro (also my back man) recommended them, as they fit well, and are pretty much the cheapest on the market that are any good. I compete up to PN (although not this year due to funds!). However my friends boss competes up to intermediate and has treeless saddles for all her horses, as does my dressage instructor. I think they have the Total solutions and Ansur saddles, which look a bit more like conventional saddles but are about 3 times the price too!
smile.gif

I think it is worth getting one to trial to see if you like them or not. I think of treeless saddles fitting more like socks, as in one size fits all, and treed saddles like shoes, they need to be fitted properly to the individual horse.

Hopes this helps?
smile.gif

Little_Mare

Visit site
I had a treeless, it was one of the “good” ones and as such I paid through the nose for it! After only a month or so my horse ended up with pressure sores directly under my seat as my weight was not being distributed (I’ve since heard that others have found the same problem). If treed can't/won't fit then go for it but otherwise be extremely cautious - it's rather telling that no "top" riders use them and no treed saddle companies have introduced treeless to their range: if saddle experts really saw a future in treeless wouldn't it be advantageous to offer them alongside treed?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
try ebay... my mate just bought 1 for £50!!!!
laugh.gif
i was sooo shocked!!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen one of these stripped down
crazy.gif
frown.gif
please please tell your friend to be careful, obviously I've not seen the one she's bought, but the one I saw was a deathtrap
frown.gif

RomanyMayday

Visit site
My friend has one and it constantly slips when jumping and he always has to get of and move it back into place :S it may be that it doesn't fit or it may be the make of it (which im not sure what) but it has put me off them a bit.

ELF

Visit site
Personally I would avoid like the plague, but then that is just a personal opinion. I worked for a Master Saddler for sometime who had a lot to do with the development of some of the 'newer' brands of saddles and I got to see pressure testing and saddles in pieces regularly.......quite scary when comparisons were being made!

Booboos

Visit site
I have a Total Saddles Solution for a sharp horse that competes Elemenraty/Medium. He has been working in it for a year and a half now and the physio can't find any problems with his back at all (he gets checked every 3-6 months), the saddle does not slip (even though he has put in some massive spooks sideways and lurches forwards!) and I find it extremely comfortable to ride in. He is a big moving horse with very prominent withers and a large shoulder.

On the other hand, my youngster is happier in a treed saddle, so I don't think there is one solution that fits all horses and all riders. Many of the treeless saddle companies will loan you a saddle on trial which is an economical way of figuring out if you like it.