Anyone have experiences of stifle ligament probs?

TequilaMist

Visit site
Good or bad.How long did healing take?
Horse had op on hind leg and discovered he had tear in stifle ligament.This was in September last year . Done all the box rest,paddock rest now been back in work since end of Feb/begining March. and not coping . Now back on 10 days boxrest and steriod injections.
Am I expecting too much too soon?. Will say this is just walking in a straight line with someone on his back

Thanks in advance

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Which ligament did he tear? Different ligaments have different outcomes.

My horse tore his meniscal ligament, which I think is the one with the worst outcome. We tried box rest, controlled exercise (not for long, even on Sedalin he was too explosive) then 6 months paddock rest and he didn't come right. Some horses do recover, but rarely for full proper work again (think the ratio is something like 70:30). My vets fully backed my decision, even after almost a year he was still 4/10ths lame :(

I did read an article in H&H a few weeks ago about a dressage horse who had done the same, and was back out competing so there is always hope.

I know what you're going through, feel free to PM xx

AnShanDan

Visit site
I have a TB event mare who was kicked in the field sept 2009. She had significant damage to the stifle ligaments that attach to the tibia, ie not the patellar ligaments but still bad news. She finally was operated on to remove a bone chip in Dec. 09.

This improved her lameness immediately and she then had 6 months more box rest. Luckily this was mostly over a very snowy winter.

The prognosis at this time was guarded for return to any real work but OK for field sound. She was still 3/10 lame by March.

In the spring she went to the stud and ended up in foal. Spent the rest of 2010 in the field, including all winter with a massive rug. Had the foal May 2011 and was finally brought back into work last year.

She was sound and has stayed sound. She has gone back to jumping and last summer competed up to BE100. (she was previously at 2* so a big step down, but still good).

Just telling you all this because I'm sure that giving her effectively 2 years off did the trick and allowed her leg to fully mend. Ligaments take a long time, they can't heal as such but more connective tissue is eventually laid down which acts like ligament.

Yours may not be even similar, but my mare's story is a very positive one and might give you some hope?

Sarah_K

Visit site
My TB mare tore her anterior cruciate ligament when she was 26. She was basically retired at the time and the vets didn't think putting a horse her age through an op was fair (which I totally agreed with). She never came sound in canter but after 18 months it was difficult to tell that she'd done anything in walk and trot. Didn't stop her hooning around like a loon. :)

Had she been younger, she'd have had the op. The vets did say at the time that the op for her injury was about 50:50 on full recovery- was about 7 years ago though.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thanks for replies.
Jennbags found out it was a small tear to cranial meniscul ligament. God thought the collateral one was worse!!
Really gutted.
They have put steriod injections in then will come back on 10th May to see if any improvement if not well will see what if any next step is.