Anyone have or tried the T4 Cob Saddle?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
tried one of these on Shy, and it was awful. it perched up on his back, even with the correct gullet in it, and tipped up at the back.

I've had great success with the GFS genesis - gave up on TG and Wintec. x

MissTyc

Visit site
I have a T4 cob -- took some getting used to as the twist was different and my legs ached, but now I love it! Most importantly, coblets have loved it and gone well in it from the start.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
To be honest, it was a very expensive trial and error time sorting out both the Barefoot saddle and his GFS. We tried a lot of treeless and treed - it all got very expensive in the end. Hubs was NOT happy :rolleyes:

cob&onion

Visit site
tried one of these on Shy, and it was awful. it perched up on his back, even with the correct gullet in it, and tipped up at the back.

Same here am afraid - really uncomfortable, probably the worst saddle i have ever had!! i had one fitted to my cob, went on a hack after 30 mins i ended up getting off and walking back it was so uncomfortable.
Changed it for the normal gp version - the half leather with extra wide plate - much better!!

Kiristamm

Visit site
I have the T4 Cob dressage. It has the xxw gullet in and is REALLY comfortable. He is croup high, so I have a prolite front riser on it, but he goes better in this saddle than any other. I have just bought the T8 version for my OLdenberg filly with no withers. I am a bates to thorowgood convert!

Daisy2

Visit site
I have a T4 and hate it. It was professionally fitted but still I felt perched on top and the seat was hard. No not for me. I am am fan of other thorowgood saddles though in particular the old style Griffin.

Blitzen

Visit site
I have one, it fits my wide cob perfectly, but she isn't completely flat withered so it sits quite nicely. The twist is quite wide I found, so it took a bit of getting used to. The seat isn't the most comfy I've ever sat on, but I have a sheepskin seat saver and its not half bad, not for £150 barely used off ebay, then £50 to have it adjusted by the saddler :)

Izzyella

Visit site
The saddle my very wide Dales came with fitted appallingly (despite having been professionally fitted shortly before we bought him) and we had the saddler out straight away- he brought a T4 XXW and it fitted perfectly (except he only had a 17" and I really needed a 17.5 or 18). Hubby looked at the original saddle to see if we could sell it on e.bay (we had dismissed it straight away and left in a corner still covered with its sheepskin seat cover) and discovered it was EXACTLY the same T4 cob saddle but in a 17.5 with a standard x-wide gullet. Phoned saddler, bought the XXW gullet, and it fits like a different saddle. The gullet made a huge difference to the way it fits and looks, am so glad I didn't buy a new one!
To answer your questions- fits horse perfectly, fairly comfy for me (but given his width it's hobsons choice!)

Last edited:
Visit site
I have the kent and masters leather version and me an pony love it. He's a different pony and it will change with him (he's only 3) get a saddler to fit it so they can flock it to fit your horse. I love the deep seat and no longer feel perched on top.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Horrific. Overstuffed at the back, tips forwards, a nightmare to change the gullets and a real perched feeling. Not impressed, though they're not as bad as Wintecs.

CobsGalore

Visit site
Seems like a lot of you having exactly the same problem :( Doesn't bode well - think I will consider another saddle!!!

Out of interest, those who found the saddle to tip forward, do your cobs have any withers at all? Or even better, if you have a picture of your horses back so I can see? :)

Tapir

Visit site
I have both a T4 cob GP and a T6 normal dressage saddle for my cob. Both fit nicely but I do prefer the dressage saddle as it's more comfy for me.