Anyone here from Dorchester area???

JayBeVee

Visit site
Would love to hear about local riding scene.
Posted in South West forum re livery but absolutely no replies despite lots of viewings -
surely must be some riders in such a lovely county???

JayBeVee

Visit site
fraggle2 - Poole just a bit too far I am afraid.
Zizz - just want good off road hacking and regular turnout as close to Dorchester as possible but I think I may have to consider Weymouth direction.
Thanks for your replies.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Im half way between Dorchester and weymouth. A place called Upwey. There is a yard called Cowden farm at CHarminster nr Dorchester. Moreton is a bit further away. There is a yard up near Hardyes Monument which is only a couple of miles from Dorch.

inthehills

Visit site
I grew up a few miles west of Dorchester, near Martinstown. IMO the riding is some of the best in the country, I miss it terribly!
From Martinstown there are great rides around Maiden Castle, over to Hardy's monument and beyond. The world is your oyster basically and best advice is to get the OS 1:25,000 maps (OS explorer range) and start exploring!
I don't know if it is still going but we used to go down to Egdon Equine near Weymouth to use their school and do some dressage tests. There are some great hunter trials run(or there were in the 90's) at Inpark near Cattistock.
I'll go now before I start feeling homesick!

Shazzababs

Visit site
Don't know much about the hacking/livery situation as we are around Yeovil, but there seams to be lots of bridle paths on the map.

There is also Moreton Equestrian which do SJ/Dressage/XC/Events most of the year. Think they may do some livery too. There are also comps at Bovinton, at the Army Camp saddle club and at Kingston Maurwood, the Agricultural College.

You would need a box but you would also be in easy reach of Studland where I believe you can ride on the beach in the winter.

I do know that housing is expensive in Dorchester compared to over the border in South Somerset.

JayBeVee

Visit site
Many thanks all. Will probably leave horse in present yard and get ourselves sorted first, then have a good look around.

dreamchaser

Visit site
The off road hacking from cowden isn't great tbh, surrounded by busy fast roads. As said already, Martinstown is fab for that and also Piddle valley or Puddletown ways are both good.

There is plenty of other stuff going on with Kingston Maurward, moreton and bovington all near by

joulsey

Visit site
I'm not from there but this thread is bringing back some wonderful, wonderful memories of my childhood holidays and going riding around Portland Bill, Osmington and visiting Warmwell Stud :) Some of the most beautiful hacking I have ever seen.