Anyone in Guernsey?

Naggy

www.equineequilibrium.co.uk
Hi

There is a good chance that we may be relocating to Guernsey in the not too distant future and I am just trying to find out what my options might be there for our horses. I have done a little investigating about Livery Yards and it is quite pricey! I understand obviously that a lot of stuff has to be imported so that will make things like hay, feed and bedding more expensive as well. It would just be handy to hear from anyone who already has their horse there or maybe has had in the past for any inside info! In an ideal world we would probably like to have a field with shelter of some description but not sure how feasible that would be over there either!

So any thoughts or tips about anything really would be fantastic! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

cronkmooar

Visit site
There is definitely someone but I can't for the life of me remember her user name. I will see if I still have a PM from her later - don't have time at the moment, but I spoke to her a couple of times and she seemed really nice and just the sort of person that would be a good contact for you.

My cousin is there so I have a contact if no one responds

Horsewithsocks

Visit site
Speaking from Jersey every thing is very expensive - shavings £11 per large bale. If you are going to move make sure the pay increase is very large - houses are very expensive, so is shopping. There is quite a lot of jumping and dressage and a riding club, but the roads, like here are now very busy with large 4x4s and very narrow. Try to get hold of some one from the Riding club, I think they have FB and they can fill you in, but I suggest you visit before you make up your mind - it is a very small island.

Whydowedoit

Visit site
I was born and brought up in Guernsey, although haven't lived there for many years. However, I am still very familiar with the island as we have frequent holidays there. My mother had a horse and we were lucky enough to have our own small field to keep it in. She converted our garage into a stable! We then moved to the west coast and she rented a small paddock up the road. As I said, this is going back many years and land was quite scarce then. I would imagine that it's even more so now, which will make things very expensive. There are quite a few horses there and I'm sure there will be a thriving riding club. However, as another person has said, the roads are very narrow and busy and bridle ways are scarce, so hacking is very limited. I think youcan ride on the beach in the winter and also at certain times of day inthe
summer. My advice would be to check everything out carefully before you move. Location will be very important unless your horse is absolutely bombproof!

hellspells

Visit site
Yes I am!!

You'd be very pushed to get permission for a shelter but it's not completely unknown. Also trying find a field to rent is not particularly easy and generally get passed by word of mouth.

Please feel free to PM anything!! I'll help with anything I can!

william95

Visit site
I believe Jan Roche is the BHS development officer for the Channel Islands so she may be able to help you. Contact her through BHS HQ

Naggy

www.equineequilibrium.co.uk
Thanks so much everyone :). Sorry I struggled to find my thread again but have now worked it out!

I know Guernsey fairly well already as I have friends and family out there but none of them are horsey so they haven't a clue about that side of things sadly. So at the moment we are really just fact finding to see what our options might be there for the horses as we haven't yet found a house or anything so we have nothing set in stone yet.

Hopefully we will be coming out to look at houses in May so will try and spend a bit of time finding horse people to chat to then :). Great to hear there are a few of you there who can help guide me through and it sounds like it should be a nice horsey community as well which is great!

Thanks again everyone for all your thoughts and hopefully I may be in touch with some if you soon, fingers crossed :)