Anyone jump in boots?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm currently having to ride Ludo in boots, hopefully temporarily while his feet adapt to the sand. We had been doing tiny jumps on the farm ride but I'm not sure how safe it is to do that in boots. Renegades, if it makes any difference. Do any of you jump in boots?

ETA most worried about treading on them.

Ta for any advice.

Last edited:

Hallo2012

Visit site
one of my friends does, think they are scoots-never seen hers slip.

(this is on the sandy track jumps not the XC fields)

ycbm

Visit site
It's not so much slipping H, it's more whether he will tread on the back of them as he takes off or lands. Though slipping, if if he does the kind of stop and spin that he's capable of when he thinks the fence is going to eat him because it's a new shape, is an issue!

ycbm

Visit site
No, none :) I forgot to add in my original post that the logs aren't huge - 60cm-ish max for full disclosure. I suspect you and do are braver than me ?

Not yet, Ludo is new to this and he's the first horse I've jumped for 5 years, 60cm is just fine!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'm popping logs and ditches out hacking in Cavallo Treks, never had any problems with slipping.

Me too - logs in the woods - up to 30 /40 cms so depends on your definition of 'jump' :)

I have him in just normal cavallo's - v clumpy but easy to get on and off and forgiving on size so no rubbing at all. I don't think they sit any further back than a shoe would on the sole of the foot so unless he had a history of over reaching maybe give it a go somewhere small and see how you get on.

ycbm

Visit site
Sorry for the off topic, but I opened this thread with a confused mind - how else should I jump, if not wearing some kind of boots? Like me, the rider. :D

I'll show myself to the exit now, thanks

I started with the title including "a horse wearing" and then decided it would be much more fun to post it as it is now ?

whirlwind

Visit site
We use cavallos and they’ve stayed out on fun rides with jumps. Have flicked one off once over a fence but have done that with a shoe as well and it came off clean so no problems.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Yes - took my Connemara along to nanny Pod XC a bit last year.

He was wearing Renegades and happily flew round some decent fences on him afterwards. I’m not sure I’d want to jump hedges in them. But logs and other solid things weren’t a problem.

If you were worried about him treading on them I reckon you could cut up some rubber overreach boots to fit over them.

ycbm

Visit site
If you were worried about him treading on them I reckon you could cut up some rubber overreach boots to fit over them.

Now that's an idea. Sacrificial velcro overreach boots, so they come off easily without tripping him up.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Friend uses Scoots for fun rides and popping stuff on local farm ride, tho I've had one whizz past my ears ? just the once, when we were being idiots and galloping up a hill ?
She won't use them for serious jumping tho, inc hunter trials, says it's too unbalancing for concentrated effort off turns and corners, better to go without.

ycbm

Visit site
Friend uses Scoots for fun rides and popping stuff on local farm ride, tho I've had one whizz past my ears ? just the once, when we were being idiots and galloping up a hill ?
She won't use them for serious jumping tho, inc hunter trials, says it's too unbalancing for concentrated effort off turns and corners, better to go without.

Sounds good. He's just beginning, any corners will be purely accidental ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sounds good. He's just beginning, any corners will be purely accidental ?
I will add that friend moved from Surrey clay to Surrey sand last autumn, she's ended up shoeing her 2nd horse as the workload combined with the abrasive fields was really grinding his feet to zilch.
Booted older chap is fine but he's no longer doing 5 or 6 days a week, maybe 2 light hacks at best but she's keeping a close eye as he is wearing almost too much.

I'm on sand, mine would be fine unshod with weekend light hacking, but coupled with granite and flint lane plus sand hacking, she is shod all round to work 5 to 6 days a week.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I often jump on dry moorland ground in Renegades, no issues however I did a farm ride where they had cut a track and there was dry grass - like hay - on the track. We were sliding all over the place like it was ice. Definitely wished I'd gone barefoot and didn't dare try a jump.

ycbm

Visit site
I will add that friend moved from Surrey clay to Surrey sand last autumn, she's ended up shoeing her 2nd horse as the workload combined with the abrasive fields was really grinding his feet to zilch.
Booted older chap is fine but he's no longer doing 5 or 6 days a week, maybe 2 light hacks at best but she's keeping a close eye as he is wearing almost too much.

I'm on sand, mine would be fine unshod with weekend light hacking, but coupled with granite and flint lane plus sand hacking, she is shod all round to work 5 to 6 days a week.

I have been considering this eventuality and already decided that I would move him before I would shoe. I think he'll be fine with boots for hacking, though, his feet have never actually looked stronger.