Anyone keep axolotls?

budley95

Visit site
Other halfs younger brouther does. He had 2 males, one of them died very unexplainably (he's had it for a year already) about 4 months ago, but they both got on well and the other one is still in a tank with a gold fish. Easy enough that I can feed them if need be! Weird if a leg falls off for the tank being too hot as it grows back (heater got stuck on for some reason!)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My eldest son keeps them. He had 2 'Iron' and 'Maiden' he had had them for 4 years but Maiden died inexplicably - she got a fungal infection and we tried treating her with the appropriate tincture to add to the water to no avail. Iron is now around 8" long. My son does not heat the tank - the tank is a 4 ft tank with a good quality external filter. Personally I wouldn't keep them with goldfish as they are very dirty and the axolotyls like clean water.
You can feed live shrimp, which we do in the summer when they are available - they love them. My son also buys frozen food from the reptile shop - discus food which I understand contains heart is popular as are the redworm. You can feed them by hand. They make awesome pets. My son's bred constantly, but try as we might we could not manage to keep the babies alive beyond a few days. We thought about getting a crayfish as a companion, but he was worried that the axolotyl may get injured by it. He has snails as company ;) Small fish would be eaten.

Last edited:

weebarney

Visit site
Is it easy enough to look after them? I've been reading online about them and it's all a bit too much for my brain to take in what with testing water hardness, ph, and de chlorinating. Maybe it just reads worse than actually doing it? I'd hate to cause any harm through being a beginner.

Leo Walker

Visit site
join caudata.org :) They shouldnt have heaters or filters and shouldnt be kept with goldfish! They are pretty easy to keep, just do your research on a reputable site first :)

weebarney

Visit site
Yes I've already found that site and that's where it starts to sound quite complex to get the water right. They look like fab creatures and I'm looking for something not too high maintenance so we can go away camping and just have someone visit once a day or so.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Yes I've already found that site and that's where it starts to sound quite complex to get the water right. They look like fab creatures and I'm looking for something not too high maintenance so we can go away camping and just have someone visit once a day or so.

Get a newt :) I've got a big paddletail and hes fab! He gets fed weekly at most could easily be left while your away

Nudibranch

Visit site
Sorry, been on hol ... my axolotls live in a 1 metre tank, it has live plants and two filters but one would be enough. Ideally use an external filter as they are more efficient. Plus you can hide them.
I dont think my axolotls really take much notice of one another so its up to you how many to get! I have a black and a gold. Just make sure they are a similar size and have lots of hiding places. A colleague keeps two in her lab but in a bare tank and they keep eating each others legs...mine seem to coexist just fine.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What actually is one?!
I've seen them in pet shops but are they a fish or amphibian?
Can they be taken out if water?
The newts suggestion? What kind of newt? Can you buy them?
Intrigued....