Anyone know anything about the French Trotter horse

Casey76

Visit site
I know one trotter (personally - I know of a few others) who was out winning club elite SJ classes last season (105cm). Watching him is an adrenaline rush as quite often when he was flying round the course he'd forget he was cantering and start trotting. Legs everywhere - but he certainly gets the job done.

My friends daughter has a horse who is either trotter or half trotter (he isn't papered). He was cut at 7 and left in a field until he was 13. After 5 years of careful training he will canter, but it is all one paced - breakneck - and his default at anything is head in the air at full trot... a beautiful and well mannered horse, but lucky that he has such a patient owner!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Not trying to pick an argument K :) Unfortunately in the UK harness racing in general doesn't have the greatest reputation thanks in large part to the people that roadrace and a lack of knowledge/understanding of the sport amongst the wider equine community. Folks like Crosshill Pacers who do things the right way are trying hard to build a better reputation and understanding.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I like to think we're not in the minority either Loll!

I was accused of something horrendous over the weekend (whilst at Tregaron) by a lad who, when at our home track, will barely make eye contact with me. Surprising what the drink will do to folk. More surprising is the fact that he knew of the practice he'd accused me of (which I in fact had never heard of). So I know not all people train their horses with the horse's welfare in mind.

Personally I'm not a fan of FTs but that is in terms of racing - I love the fluid movement of a pacer and find the regular breaking of trotters in races a bit...cringe worthy. But the number of true trotting people left in the UK has dwindled and racing trotters require different harness and handling to pacers. That said, there is a phenomenal FT imported as part of the Le Trot series (which allows for FTs in the UK entered in the series to be exported back to France to race) who has won three from three starts and I don't think I've ever seen more determination on a horse's face. His driver is simply a passenger.