Anyone know the about this???

Danindigo

spaces.msn.com
My eventer seems to have developed a problem with his breathing. WHen going XC, from a very early stage his breathing is very heavy/deep which is not like him. Although he is still pilling hard etc from the off, by 2/3 of the course he is legless.

I've had bloods done on him this morning & ive just had the results back to say that his eosinphils (white blood cells im told) are high.

Does anyone have any experience of this??

thanks

glenruby

Visit site
Id get a worm count done to be honest. Eosinophils can be raised due to immune diseases/immunoincompetence or parasitic disease normally. If your horse is run down his eosinophils may be increased. They are a type of white blood call, but not a primary WBC. They usually occur in very low numbers.
Your best bet would be to give him a wormer or have a worm count done depending on your preferance - it may at least help to rule out parasites. There is a small chance that he may have lung worms though they arent all that common.

Marnie

Visit site
My mare had raised eosinophils combined with increased breathing rate and they were attributed to inflammation in her lungs - basically COPD type condition. She was scoped and had a lung wash and was found to have a bacterial infection which was treated with antibiotics.

Don't know if that helps!

glenruby

Visit site
Marnie is right - COPD is essentially an immune "disease" - hypersensitivity rxn so that could cause it along with the heavy breathing.