Anyone near Wigan?!!

carladye

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I have recently moved from Kent to Lancashire (Wigan area) and I am having real difficulty in finding necessary horsey places, so if anyone from nearish Wigan has the name and no of any feed places, FARRIERS, vets, tack shops etc in the area i'd be really grateful as i'm struggling.

Thanks
smile.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
I am Coppull sort of near Standish. Depends how far you want to travel. Croft Equestrian are in Standish and sell most tack or can get it for you and sell feed to. As do Croston Corn Mill. Farriers I can pm you my farriers number. Vets I use Gillivers in Atherton but this is obviously personal choice and if you wish I can pm you some numbers in the local area. Dentist, mine comes from Cheshire but travels up to Lancashire but would rather do a few horses at a times cos of the distance.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Our farrier has just moved to South Wales and though he's still coming up to Lancs to shoe existing clients he isn't taking any new Lancs clients on - not much help there sorry.

Vets - we use Andrew Melling at Bolton... they're excellent. They have a female vet called Fiona who is absolutely fabulous with the horses. Andrew Melling vets also has a great dentist that they recommend and work a lot with - Diane Holliday.

I'll second Derby House - for posh stuff. Robinsons for cheap and cheerful. I also buy quite a bit from Oakfield Saddlery in Preston - good value but also five minutes from my front door. Nigel who owns it does a great saddle fitting service, he's got lots of second hand and Oakfield's own brand of new saddles which are very good value. Nigel is a lovely guy too!

Charity Farm has a ride and xc course you can hire. Other great show venues with facilities to hire are Osbaldeston just o/s Blackburn, Myerscough near Preston and Arkenfield at Hoghton. A little further afield Crow Wood at Burnley has all weather gallops and xc to hire.

If you're into showjumping or showing you've moved to the right county
smile.gif

carladye

New User
Visit site
Thanks for those - i've got the vet coming today (Gillivers) but i am still in urgent need of a farrier so if anyone has a good number could they pm me pleeases.

cool.gif
Thanks for all your help.

_jetset_

Visit site
I use Gillivers too... And I also use the same farrier who has moved to Wales and is not taking on any additional clients. We have quite a few that come onto out yard but as I don't use them myself I can't give you a personal account of their service.

There is Antony Wilson, Steve Sergeant, Craig Winstanley, Simon Weston... just PM me if you are interested...

Derby House is fantastic for everything you want. It's right near the motorway (M6) in Wrightinton, I think the road is called Mossy Lea or something like that. I use Bob Denney for feed and he does a delivery service for shavings if you need anything. He is based in Adlington, Chorley and stocks every feed under the sun!

Hope you and your horse are settling in...

Rebecca

carladye

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all the info - just about got there now i think. Farrier, vet and feed sorted. Next day off and i'll check out Robinsons and Derby House too. Sounds good!