Have you ever fallen off a horse?

• No, never!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course, it's horses!

Votes: 98 100.0%

• Total voters

Tinsel

Visit site
I used to fall off my first pony (i was 9) all the time. I stopped counting at 150 times 🤣 but he would drop his shoulder in canter every time but i was persistent in trying and was adamant i would get a canter out of him without falling off but i never did 🙄 he was 19 and pretty set in his ways 😆 we kept him until he was pts at 27 🥰
The falling off 😂But the end 😢

Tinsel

Visit site
I only had fallen off going around a sharp corner we were riding on sand i think the pony had lost sight off his friends i was in Portugal but i can't think 🤔 off any other time i did fall off a riding school horse who spooked at some thing out side

HorseMaid

Visit site
I've fallen off absolutely countless times!

Today I had a very near miss! Cantering across a field, get towards the gate, slow to trot and my mare stopped dead and shoved her head down to grab some spring grass, how I didn't splat over her head I do not know but it very much caught me off guard - I'm getting too old for that sort of nonsense!

Time for Tea

Visit site
The first time I fell off age 13 I was bucked off, I was so amazed and dazed, I didn’t know what had happened! First of far too many. Only fell off once in years of hunting though. That was at full gallop and resulted in a broken collarbone, could have been a lot worse .

Lois Lame

Visit site
Of course we're bonkers.

I'm not going to tempt fate and say how long it has been since i have fallen off, got bucked off or jumped off. Suffice to say I am too old to fall off without hurting myself and staying hurt for too long, so I must not fall off. Mind you, I havn't been on a horse for about 3 years but one day I'll go back to it (before its too late to go back to it).

In fact, I had a little gaze at horses for sale on line yesterday. Didn't mention it to the husband. One day, when I find the perfect steed... (I'm yet to own the perfect steed...)

Love

Visit site
I've actually only fallen off Ken 3 times in 12 years (and once was when he slipped on the road and we both went down so not sure I need to count that one). How, I have absolutely no idea as its not like we stick to only the "tame" activities! I think I spent more time underneath the jump with my first pony than I did actually on his back - maybe he should get the credit for giving me my stickability 🤣

Pippity

Visit site
I don't think I've had enough soft falls to be blase about them. When I come off, it's almost always a hospital job. (Not because I'm such a sticky rider I only come off in extremities - just that I seem to land badly!)

Jambarissa

Visit site
All of my more recent falls were cause by round cob and a procession of expensive saddles that slipped no matter what. That unstoppable slow slide where you desperately try to climb up the saddle to stay on top. Then once everyone has stopped to watch you slide and splat into the ground. Most undignified!

Sealine

Visit site
I've been riding for 50 years and I've no idea how many times I've fallen off but it's a lot. I had a scatty, sharp mare (the one in my avatar) who I fell off of regularly for many years. I'm tempting fate saying this but I haven't fallen off since I stopped hunting a couple of years ago. I do only ride my 22 year old horse these days and he's a big chunk of a horse and he definitely isn't sharp. Luckily I've never lost my confidence after falling off. Falls never bothered me when I was younger. In more recent years, as long as I know the fall was my fault or a complete accident and the horse wasn't trying to get me off, I can deal with it. My worst injuries have occurred when handling horses on the ground.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Having seen another post by a nervous newbie it got me thinking; could there be anyone on the forum who has yet to have their first fall?
If you haven't fallen off please can you tell us how long you have been riding?
I hate falling off but even I have done it a few times!
first fall 1976 off a damn Shetland, and I was 15 or 16 I think, just put my leg over and he bolted off.
my falls and been many of them, have ben broncs, or mare slipping on road or mare fell while jumping as we found her back was out.

damaged back L3-4-5 go into facet lock, still do, led to sciatica mainly down left leg which does pins a needles daily.
dislocated shoulder (still is)
fractured Humerus
ruptured (skier) ligament in my thumb (deformity now)
broken ribs (x2 (not on a horse though)
broken shoulder blade
broken clavicle
ankles done in through colliding with a tree = collapse arches

numerus fall when a student at Park Farm (soft tissue damage)

Falling does not depict a good or bad rider - situation causes falls
Been riding over 50 years

Most embarrassing one was a few years ago, new mare over jumps and ducks out to the side after, well I went left, still held reins sitting on my bum as she backing up which in turn started to pull my jodhpurs down luckily friend made her horse walk between the cameraman who had turned round to film and me.

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I must say I've never fallen off, there must be some luck there somewhere. I gave up riding a few years ago, I'm 70 years old now. I have however come of several motorcycles over the years & most of them really hurt me.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've fallen off a few times over the years. I never fell off of my last horse (had him from age 4 to 10).

Well...unless you count falling off before I really got on 🤣 he found someone mounting him to be very unsettling when I first got him, and he teleported a time or two. He was just such a nervous little horse, but he progressed a lottt over the years.

planete

Visit site
I fell of my ex racing arab twice when he slammed himself to a stop at the canter, never fell off my next arab but we ended up doing a complete cartwheel together when we had some crossed communication wires openening a gate and he tried to jump it from a standstill. Fell with my newly backed part-bred when he got his legs in a tangle over some rutted ground, only time in sixteen years. After over twenty years without a fall, Woody managed to lose me with his spin and bolt move a few weeks ago, no more loose seat and reins in loops on the sneaky little beast, he is now having intensive training in how to keep paying attention to me and responding to a head down cue at the slightest goggling at leaves twitching in the breeze.

AthenesOwl

Visit site
I have fallen off many times (4 years riding as a child then 20+ as an adult) but the most ridiculous was during a cross country lesson. We were all stood listening to the instructor when my horse spooked at something invisible, and leapt sideways. I came off and landed squarely on my feet, standing upright. It was not the cross country fall I had expected.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I fell from my mare at speed following a spook in the arena in Oct 20, which resulted in numerous broken bones, collapsed lung and a stay in hospital which resulted in a massive lack of confidence afterwards.

Took a long time to get back on her and slowly we have built trust, that was until yesterday morning where I again came off at speed following another spook in the arena. I’m sore, have got whiplash and am bruised but thankfully no broken bones and I was able to get up straight away. I’m definitely at an age where I don’t bounce and bloody hell the arena floor feels like
concrete 😳

I came off my last horse quite regularly as he enjoyed putting in a cheeky buck and I learnt to kind of throw myself off safely as I knew trying to stay on him was pointless and the bucks would get bigger. 😂

Hoping to get back on my mare tomorrow as long as I’m not too stiff 🙏

hock

Visit site
Can I say obviously I have fallen off loads, but I’ve never fallen off one of my own produced horses the oldest now being 18. I think that’s a record to be proud of!