Anyone out there with Gelderlanders ?

happyappys

Visit site
I have a mare that I bought back end of last year, she is deffo Gelderlander, though maybe part-bred as she is very fine compared to the traditional stock. Looking to do a bit of everything with her and wondering if there were any other owners or people with experience of the breed out there!

9tails

Visit site
Hi! I have one of these beauties, also a mare. They feel like a square wheeled bicycle to ride and if you master sitting trot tell me your secret. Mine thrives on jumping and galloping, thinks she's a racehorse and prances along exuberantly with a real joy for life.

happyappys

Visit site
Hi! I have one of these beauties, also a mare. They feel like a square wheeled bicycle to ride and if you master sitting trot tell me your secret. Mine thrives on jumping and galloping, thinks she's a racehorse and prances along exuberantly with a real joy for life.

Thanks for the reply, do you have photo's? Would love to see other examples of the breed, my Betty has huge movement, am currently out of action riding (nothing to do with horses) but hopefully back on board in the next couple of weeks, but when she is going 'correctly' rather than sticking her head in the air she's actually quite easy to sit to and for some reason seems to prefer it to the rising trot?!

I'd like to event her eventually but not sure yet if she's brave enough, though she's only 5 and a late starter at that so not judging just yet! :)

applecart14

Visit site
My friend had one. Beautiful creature, but very opinionated and would sometimes rear and boltwith her. Not sure that was indicative of the breed or the fact that there was something wrong with it though :)

He was a lovely shiny chestnut and was called Red. Stunning horse, I was so jealous! :)

9tails

Visit site
Rearing and bolting are definitely not indicative of the breed. They have busy minds and take a lot of confidence from the rider, very trainable and love to please.

teapot

Visit site
Used to ride one years ago - bit of a worrier but a real trier when on side and taught me so much, namely riding with patience!

superpony

Visit site
My friend had one, he came to her mid teens and was a complete superstar. He knew all of the tricks in the school and could happily jump 1.30 even in his older years. He was very funny to hack though, he found little things such as flowers very scary.. he never really did anything though... he would jog and act as if he may run off but if you just dropped your reins he continued to jog on the spot! He was a real character.

happyappys

Visit site
These all sound indicative of my mare, she's a worrier and a bit of a spook monster, but has a heart of gold and never actually does much wrong, wouldn't dream of hurting you. She's also a 1-1 horse, deffo very nervous of strangers so is interesting to see that trust may be a breed thing rather than me worrying she had a bad previous owner or start in life! She's also very trainable and intelligent with huge amounts of character :D

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I worked for a lady years ago who had one a huge chestnut gelding she bought him from one of her liveries, he was being trained to be a vaulting horse but wasn't suitable and her and her husband loved him so they bought him from the livery, she got him up to elementary dressage he was always quite spooky and a bit worried about things but he was very sweet natured.

happyappys

Visit site
It's great to hear from people with them, seems they all have very similar characters with the spookiness and worrying! Wondering if anyone actually events or jumps them?

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes - friend had one that he hunted for years unfortunately now over the rainbow bridge but loved his jumping. Another friend has one she events and is off to Badminton grass roots next month! Super horse but he's not the easiest.

ginger_dressage_pony

Visit site
I do! If you look at my page, 'Milla Stevens dressage' there are pics/videos etc on there. Mine is rising 5 and aiming for dressage young horse classes this year.

happyappys

Visit site
I do! If you look at my page, 'Milla Stevens dressage' there are pics/videos etc on there. Mine is rising 5 and aiming for dressage young horse classes this year.

Aw lovely, she looks like a chestnut version of my Betty lol! Betty is rising 5 too but have struggled to keep weight on her over the winter, though she's getting there now, your mare seems to have very similar movement, quite big and powerful ?

This is Betty ...
12640425_10208492404928279_8155830376219222131_o_zps9ykp3xvm.jpg

ginger_dressage_pony

Visit site
Ah Betty looks lovely!! Yes I struggle a bit to keep weight on mine too! Betty looks to have the same, big powerful movement, super flashy trot. With mine, the canter is improving all the time, it's lovely, she just struggles with her balance on a circle, she's a bit wobbly!! They have the same lovely head, really honest face too! Does Betty have enormous ears?! Jelly does!!
She also has the same character traits as other people have mentioned on this thread, definitely a one person horse, loves me (luckily!! 🙈) but can be wary of new people, especially men..
She is sort of spooky, she will look at something, and we might have some snorting, but if I say it's okay, she will march up and investigate said spooky object!! So also very brave. And coped perfectly with her first little outing last weekend, didn't put a foot wrong with quite a spooky venue and did a lovey genuine, but wobbly test. Funny how they all seem to be quite similar!
If you look on Facebook, there is a Gelderlander page, with lots of people putting up pictures etc and it's really friendly!

Last edited: