Anyone over 65 still riding?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I am still riding , am 68 with dodgy hips, .my horse is 23 and I have to be careful not to do too much with her so maybe ride 4 times a week..if I had a younger, sounder horse I would ride as much as poss. IMO its better to keep riding regularly as your body can cope with daily exercise but will struggle if riding only once or twice a week.

A1fie

Visit site
Respectfully, I can recommend these stirrups for older riders with aches and pains. I continue to genuinely recommend them to you. It is now up to you to decide if you would like to further follow this idea. No advertising, just a recommendation and a sincere hope for your relief of pain.

You're not advertising, really? I think you are not telling the truth. Reflects badly on mdc stirrups. If you can't tell the truth on a forum, why would anyone trust your product?

Skib

sites.google.com
OH and I both ride. We are 75. The horse does the work. Much of the time no cue needed. She has always lent me her speed and agility. Just think or say the word. It really seems important to say that there are some days when I go for a gentle Granny hack and others when I feel inspired. To spend a whole lesson on canter. I am so luck to go to a RS where the young women indulge me and let me do what I feel up to.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
According to what I've read, Hugo Simon became the oldest rider to have won a showjumping Grand Prix competition, when he 68 years old won the Grand Prix of Ebreichsdorf in May 2011, with Ukinda.

I searched for a photo of Hugo Simon and Ukinda, and if I've understood the text correctly (I can't really speak or read deutsch), this photo is from when he and Ukinda won a Mercedes-Grand Prix 2007, when he was only 65 years old...

simon_121107reu183.jpg

It says the photo is by Reuters, the article is on this page http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/630564/index.do .

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm 66 now (how the hell did that happen?!) and plan on breaking Rowan in next year to start riding again after a break of a few years. Totally different from the hunters and pointers I used to ride and at least he's lower to the ground though I'll still need a mounting block.

ebonyallen

Visit site
A lady on our yard is 67 and still rides. ~She looks after her horse on DIY and rides as often as she can. I also know of two sisters that I was at a yard with many years ago when I was a child and they are both in their 90 s and they still have a little ride, they made our local newspaper last year, this inspires me and I hope to be able to do the same.

pinkypug1

Visit site
A lady at my yard is her 70's and hunts every Saturday and takes part in weekly competitions she is a complete inspiration & her horse is not in the least straightforward!!

gmw

Visit site
I'm 62 have rheumatoid arthritis and a couple of stents in my heart and other bits and bobs. When daughter in work I ride my mare and have another four to muck out etc etc . Just take your time and do what you can. I have a friend 73 and rides most days and does all stable duties etc. by herself. Enjoy!!

Rollin

Visit site
By Christmas I will be. I ride five of my 15 horses and actually back the youngsters!! Although my young jockeys school them on.

We plan a photo with my first horse in about 6 weeks, he is 35 so we will have 100 years between us.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
What an absolutely inspiring post. Wonderful. I feel like a young fraud writing on this post as I am a mere 53. Lol. And today was not my best day with my newly backed 5 year old. I also have a 7 year old traddie who is my "safe do anything" ride and a 11 year old ex Broodie who was backed last year. They all live at home and I'm lucky that I don't have to work. I hope I'm still going for many years to come but have promised my OH and myself - no more youngsters to back and school on.

Exem

Visit site
Well I was 65 in March and started riding in August. Currently having two, one-hour lessons a week. My instructor says I'm progressing pretty well.

The equine world is very new to me - no-one in the family has had anything to do with horses so the learning curve is rather steep.

Hoping to get to a reasonable standard and being able to ride for many years to come.