Anyone own / drive a DAF45 130 / 150

Clarew22

Visit site
Morning all

I have been on a seemingly never ending horsebox search since December and losing the will with it all to be honest! Up until now I have been discounting Daf 45 130s as there seemed to be some thoughts that they were underpowered and the 150 was the way to go. I am wondering if I am just being too fusy as there seems to be an awful lot of 130s around so have I got that wrong?

Anyone have any experience as to whether they are underpowered, I don't want to settle or end up with something underpowered but at the same time may be I am being too picky. I would be looking at around a R / S reg if that makes a difference, I've only ever driven an Iveco 75E15 which was lovely to drive so have no experiences with either Daf models which doesn't help! Anyone have any thoughts?

turnbuckle

Visit site
I used to run a 150 and honestly wouldn't have wanted any less power unless I lived in a very flat part of the world...

The other thing is that they are getting on and parts are starting to become a problem, although probably not insuperable......

And the cabs can rust like old Alfa-Romeos.....you'll be lucky to find one which won't need big work fairly soon.

I.M.N.

Visit site
We had a 130 7.5t 3 horse NEVER AGAIN! There were quite a few times we thought of getting the horses off and making them pull the box as it would have been a better option.

Nt9

Visit site
Hi,
I have one had it for 7 years, never had a problem with it being under powered, it's been all over the country and I'm in Yorkshire so lots of hills, although I wouldn't expect it to go up a steep hill at 60. It is however a 2000 plate not a really old one. I only carry 2 though.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My last one was a 170, and it was slightly over powered. That showed if you had to pull away sharply, it could surprise you with wheelie starts!

Also we had to have a repair to the gearbox, and the mechanic said it was because too much power was coming through.

I would imagine a 150 would be perfect.

I would imagine to 130 would not be so good, I had a 130 in a previous make of lorry and even on the M1 it could not hold its speed up all of the hills. That is why we went for the 170, but it was a bit OTT.

EventingMum

Visit site
I have never thought our 150 was under powered even fully loaded with two horses, full fuel and water tanks, mine is sadly having problems with corrosion now and is an S reg so I'd be careful.

Clarew22

Visit site
Thanks everyone, sounds like i might be right to avoid the 130.

So many lorries have bad corrosion its a minefield trying to find something sound and genuine. I really thought 12k was a good budget but appears not!

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've got a 130, been all over with it, and it does struggle up a long incline, if I don't take a run at it. I also drove a newer 150, which had lots of "grunt" but had a limiter fitted which was a real pain on the motorway, and also was quite a bit thirstier. Bear that in mind when buying a newer lorry. You don't want a limiter, trust me!

Clarew22

Visit site
I've got a 130, been all over with it, and it does struggle up a long incline, if I don't take a run at it. I also drove a newer 150, which had lots of "grunt" but had a limiter fitted which was a real pain on the motorway, and also was quite a bit thirstier. Bear that in mind when buying a newer lorry. You don't want a limiter, trust me!

Thanks good point, another thing to consider!

star

Visit site
I've got a 130. Had it 5yrs now. Need to take a run up at a big hill or do end up losing the will to live by the time we get to the top but it's been a reliable old beast and taken me all over the country no probs. It is X reg.

spacefaer

Visit site
I adored my 150 - it went all over the country. It was S reg and never had any corrosion problems. A 130 would definitely be underpowered fully loaded.

I used to drive an owner's Iveco, and hated it. It had a limiter, and the turning circle was HUGE. It was a shorter wheelbase (set up for 2 horses) and had a larger turning circle than my Daf, which was 6-8 feet longer. It wallowed on corners as well.

The limiters make them horrid to drive - it felt like the engine was breathing through cotton wool the whole time. I think the requirement came in for 2001 lorries onwards (although I'm happy to be corrected)

turnbuckle

Visit site
£12K should get you something decent. Do you need living or just a container?

Agree about limiters, especially if you do Mway work - being able to get ahead of the HGV pack is a real safety plus.

Also, lorries do have their own characters. If you see a 130 which looks spot on in every other way, give it a try - might just be a forward going one!

I run a 150 Renault Midlum, just pre-limiter. Brilliant lorry if you can find one, tiny turning circle, cruises at 60 at 1800rpm.

siennamum

Visit site
My 130 is brilliant. storms up hills & I love driving it. It only carries one horse ever though & is a complete rust bucket haha.