Anyone riding after a hip replacement?

hayinamanger

Visit site
A friend, in her late fifties, has had a recent hip replacement, she had the other one done 7 years ago. She has not ridden for several years and would very much like to. She has an appointment with the surgeon this week and will be asking his opinion. Meanwhile I thought I would ask if anyone on here does ride after this surgery. Thanks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had one hip replaced at fifty I rode five weeks and three days after surgery it does not affect me in any way.

pip6

Visit site
Lady in her late 30's in endurance had both hips replaced, one immediately after the other, was hospitalised for couple of months with bone infection, & within 6 months of leaving hospital was doing 100 mile race rides again.:D

On the Hoof

Visit site
Hi
Im old (55), had a hip replacement 2 years ago, and started riding for the first time 8 months later! My Doctor said I shouldn't do anything like running anymore , so i sat and thought about what i most wanted to do instead and the answer was of course Riding. I told myself if i could mount a horse at that age after a hip replacement, then I would go for it - and did. Just bought my very own first horse last week. Have promised my GP not to attempt Jumping LOL

Suby2

Visit site
Me! I had my right hip replaced six months ago at the age of 63 and started riding again after four months. I am only a happy hacker on my trusty NFX but to be riding pain free is great.

Faro

Visit site
I know at least 3 people who ride regularly having had one (or both) hips replaced (one of them is the lady who PIP2 mentions above, who rides at FEI/international level). Also have a couple of friends who have had hip resurfacing done - again with good results and improved riding comfort!

Suelin

Visit site
Resurfacing is not being done to women any more.

Off topic but that is interesting. Why is that, do you know?

I have a friend who has hip replacements and still rides daily although she did find she needed a narrower horse than her cob for comfort.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Off topic but that is interesting. Why is that, do you know?

I have a friend who has hip replacements and still rides daily although she did find she needed a narrower horse than her cob for comfort.

They found that women where absorbing metal into their systems the thought is its something to do changes due to menopause.

pip6

Visit site
Run a mile from any consultant still doing resurfacing on women. Google it, plenty of reports on net regarding the serious issues.