Anyone seen any Swallows yet??

MochaDun

Visit site
They tend to appear in my area around about 15th of April each year. Will be even nicer to see and hear them again this year.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No none yet here either. We didn’t have as many as usual last summer thou’ preciously since living here we’ve been thick with them! ?

Mrs B

Visit site
I keep scanning the skies but none yet ... we're only about a mile in from the south coast, so we usually seem to get several lots appear, have a good feed and a swoop around before trekking off to their summer homes.

Daft, but I always have tears in my eyes when I see the first ones come back!

millikins

Visit site
Not seen any in Surrey yet, usually about another week for us. There were very few last year, I hope we do better in 2020. I've not heard a cuckoo for at least 3 years either :(

PurBee

Visit site
None here is west ireland yet. Im expecting them imminently, as the horses are full moulting.
not looking forward to their shiite all over my gear in the barn tho!
but theyre great midge hoovers....and hilarious to see them gang up and swoop attack the cats!
In autumn the weeks before leaving they give the young ‘flying lessons’, the young have to rest on the chimneys as theyre not so ‘fit’ as their ‘spitfire flying parents’.

We have around 5 nests on average dotted about barns , eaves and stable...so there’s quite a gang of them that end up leaving here.
The day of departure is spectacular.....they all fly together in large circles high above the farm singing and chirping, it feels like they’re thanking us as hosts and saying goodbye....and the next day it’s deathly quiet without them here.

Montmorency

Visit site
I saw the first one this afternoon. I hope it stays here.
We had a dreadful year last year with fewer pairs than normal and one of the two pairs that did stay throwing their entire brood out of the nest and not bothering to try again. By the time I realised they weren’t going to go back to them I took the remaining babies to a wildlife hospital but two had already died ?
We also had a real problem with magpies flying into the stables so I don’t know if that was what made the swallows behave differently- they are usually such good parents.

Suby2

Visit site
We are on the edge of the New Forest and saw our first one this year on the 27th on a telephone wire opposite our front gate. They nested around here last year and used our garden pond to drink from. It was magical sitting in our conservatory watching them swoop down and scoop up the water. One even perched on the top of an open conservatory door.They brought their young to drink as well.

mariew

Visit site
We lived in Essex last spring and for the first time didn't see any swallows at all, we had quite a few every year. Now in Devon so hoping for some. I am hoping this Corona virus stops them being caught in nets coming out of Africa and maybe we get a greater number :) you live in hope!

hobo

Visit site
Two on the phone wires this morning I do not know when they came last year but I know it was later than a lot on here. When do the house martins come I will maybe have to make some mud for them as ground is like concrete and last years nests disintigrated over the winter.