Anyone seen swelling like this?

TPO

Visit site
Firstly, vet was called immediately this morning and has been. It's kind of been narrowed down to two things but is now a case of wait and see. If the same or worse tomorrow morning then vet to be called to come back.

"Proper" cellulitis is one of the possibilities however horse not presenting with typical "stovepipe" leg. Swelling isnt really bad until mid cannon up although there is some swelling around fetlock.

An abscess has burst out of his heel bulb too (black dot on heel) but horse had no reactions at all to hoof testers and vet happy that isnt the issue at all.

The swelling on his gaskin is what is worrying me. That's not typical for cellulitis from what information I can find.

Horse very lame and non weight bearing. He is VERY sore but not distressed/sweating etc but feeling very sorry for himself and being sooky which is very unlike him.

He's had a pain killer and anti inflammatory injected into the vein (2hrs ago, no improvement) along with oral antibiotics. Hes to get 2 x bute tonight along with more anti B then see how he is in the morning.

Since going back in his stable he hasnt even turned himself around to face his hay cube and is just reaching around to get his hay. I've moved water in front of him too. Had to practically drag him into his stable. Even with the others in he didnt want to move.

So the other option being muted is a cracked or fractured tibia. Vet doesnt think he is distressed enough for a break but not ruling it out.

He'll be xrayed tomorrow if no improvement.

So yeah, this is the swelling.

Screenshot_20210125-153537_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210125-153521_Facebook.jpg

doodle

Visit site
I can’t find the picture but Robin had a massive swelling in roughly the same place but more to the inside and higher up. Almost non weight bearing, I found him in the field and took forever to get him in. I panicked and called the vet. It was cellulitis. The lower leg never swelled. Same treatment as yours but it took a couple of days to start to go down.

Reactions: TPO

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That looks like it could be an infection or even an abscess, a friend's horse had a lump like that on her chest and it was an abscess they had to drain it in the end to get rid of it, fingers crossed it's not a fracture or anything really nasty.

TPO

Visit site
He had swelling there a couple of years ago Kamikaze but that was a torn grazilious (sp!) muscle

He hasnt moved since getting back in his stable and is reluctant to put his head down so held water up. Hes not urinated all day either, assuming because he cant stand comfortably. He has been drinking.

Phoned vet and waiting on a call back because I'm not happy to leave him like this overnight

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Ooof. I hope you and the vet can get him sorted TPO. Sounds nasty. Has he maybe taken a kick? I think I'd want to shave it all and have a good look for thorns or a splinter too?

DressageCob

Visit site
My horse had an identical swelling some years ago, but aside from some heat there was nothing untoward. We put it down to a bit of a glancing kick with a bit of a muscle tear, but either my horse is super stoic or it was very minor compared to yours. I hope you get an answer soon. Sounds painful.

DressageCob

Visit site
My horse had an identical swelling some years ago, but aside from some heat there was nothing untoward. We put it down to a bit of a glancing kick with a bit of a muscle tear, but either my horse is super stoic or it was very minor compared to yours. I hope you get an answer soon. Sounds painful.

Actually, looking at my photos, mine was a little higher up.

TPO

Visit site
Vet is pretty sure theres no puncture wounds. No swelling around the joint (hock) either.

Hes got a cut on the back of his fetlock from a couple of weeks ago. It's been kept clean and treated etc but if it is cellulitis that could be an entry point although punctures of mud fever are the most common reasons

Hes not moved in the hour hes been back in his stable. He was outside from this morning to be cold hosed while we waited for the vet

Just got a call back from vet and hes coming tomorrow to xray. Said theres nothing else we can do tonight. If it's not a fracture then we know its "just" an infection.

Just going to give him more bute although he was just jagged at 1.30. Hes worse rather than better since the jag.

Hes got a mild (very mild) sweat so swapped his 200 stable rug for a 100gm. Lower leg is much more swollen.

Away to spoon feed him bute and anti bs just now before he goes off feed even more (was no enthusiastic about an apple ?)

windand rain

Visit site
I hope he is soon feeling better only seen anything like that on the front leg/ inside elbow so high up. It was a heamatoma from a kick. He might have caught himself and pulled but you woud expect a cut or scratch if that was the case. Mare was off her back leg and not really willing to move due to a UTI but she didnt have any swelling. The unwillingness to move could be aches from a raised temp

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I too would be clipping the hair close off tonight. If there is any skin blemish at all, I would poultice.

Did the vet know he was sweating? With that additional sign I'm surprised he can't have an x ray and antibiotics tonight.

I would be worried all night, so I do feel for you.

ETA - My horses and dogs always sport bald patches if they appear poorly. I need to Geta. good look.

TPO

Visit site
Hes pawing and I think he wants to urinate but wont take weight behind. I told vet that and about light sweat. I've changed his rug down and kept offering him water.

My usual Vet said he'll come at 9.30 tomorrow to xray.

I honestly wouldn't get near him with clippers he is so sore. Vet didnt think that was the issue today, I did suggest a puncture.

Lower leg swelling is worse and not pitting although I havent been pushing that hard because of how sore he is

chaps89

Visit site
I don't have photos but had a similar swelling slightly further up a few years back, it was a hawthorn embedded in her skin, the top had broken off so it was only visible once given a close shave, though after cold hosing you could feel a bump. Mind you the rest of the leg didn't swell, it was quite localised and she wasn't unwell with it. But blackthorn could induce the poorly side of it.
If he won't eat regular food can you try a jam or honey sandwich or syringing with some yoghurt or similar?
I do hope he's feeling better soon.

Last edited:

DressageCob

Visit site
I've got bute to give him. I was left bute and doxycycline.

Just trying to hand feed bute now because hes not interested in feed. Doxycycline is syringed so fine

I have previously been told to add water to Bute to make a paste and syringe it in. I had a polo pony I groomed for that would not eat it at all, and that's the advice we were given. I used warm water, to make it marginally nicer.

TPO

Visit site
Sorry battery died. Phoned out of hours and waiting on a call back.

Pus is clear but bright yellow. Two exit points on inside of cannon bone and by the time I prepped a poultice there was pus on outside too. Leg is very swollen, hot and hard...as well as very sore.

I've never dealt with cellulitis before so didnt know if that was normal or not? Asking hho is quicker than google.

Got anti biotic syringed and approx 1.5 sachets of bute. He had some butw in feed too so should equate to two sachets. Will just syringe tomorrows dose

doodle

Visit site
Robin has had cellulitis a few times. It never started pouring with pus though. What a worry for you. But I guess that would move away from a fracture.