Anyone soak pink mash a few hours before feeding it?

cblover

Visit site
I know it says 10 mins to soak and use within 2 hours but when it’s dark and miserable and I’m at my fields for night feeds, it would be handy to have it ready to use. That means me soaking it that same morning...anyone do the same?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I used to take any soaking feed to work with me in a plastic tub. Dry.
Depending on time, I'd pop off to the kitchen and put the required amount of water in (usually mid late afternoon) and put the tub in the car.
Similar for morning feeds, except I'd bring home, put water in just before leaving for the yard, and it was ready to use on arrival.
Even now when it's going sub zero overnight, I take a old milk container with warm water in for damping breakfast feed for B :)

Green Bean

Visit site
I wouldn’t like to chance it. The feed may still be okay but wonder about losing the prebiotics in it. Not sure if there is a risk of fermentation resulting in a higher sugar content but I am no expert

Bellaboo18

Visit site
It is preferable not to leave Pink Mash soaked for longer than two hours. This is because Pink Mash contains live pre- and pro-biotics, which may begin to ‘die off’ and become less beneficial after this time.
The above is off their website, I was pretty sure I'd seen it on the bag?

SOS

Visit site
It soaks so quickly I never had a problem. Would a 5L bottle/container make your life a bit easier? Fill that up with water and chucked desired amount in. I liked to make mine up with luke warm water and feed it ASAP. It soaked quickly enough whilst I put the rest of the feed into bowls.

crazyandme

Visit site
I always added water as soon as I got to the horses, and then let it soak whilst I faffed around with other jobs whilst it was soaking. Even if it was just getting the horse out of the field, it would often have soaked enough to be fine to feed. And then just tip everything else in and give it a quick stir before feeding it

Leo Walker

Visit site
Theres not a lot of point feeding it if you soak it before hand. It really doesnt take long to soak though. I put it in a bucket with water. Add the other food to 3 buckets, add a scoop of supplement into 2 buckets and then its ready to add. Its usually still a bit sloppy at that point, but by the time I've stirred it and walked 50yds to the stables its finished soaking.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’ll carry on soaking as a need it. Don’t want to risk loosing all the pro and prebiotics. It was just a thought.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve found in a new batch recently that the pellets are even smaller (think chicken feed) and soak quicker than before- it’s ready by the time I’ve walked up the field with it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I soak mine all day ready for evening usually for convenience. It’s mixed for his morning feed to be left outside his stable (first on yard feeds) anyway so I don’t suppose it’s makes much difference. Probably means it’s not as good though.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I wouldn't have it soaking for any longer than the recommended amount as I wouldn't want the feed going off.

If it were me, I'd add the water before leaving the house. It takes me 15 minutes to drive to the paddock, and by that time it would be very tasty I am sure.

SO1

Visit site
Pink mash is included as part of my pony's standard part livery food. They make the feed in advance including his breakfast which is made the day before and left outside his stable. The horses love it and it is low sugar and starch so safe for all the horses and they look great on it. In addition to this my pony has feedmark biopro.

If pre-and pro-biotics die off after around 2 hour of being wetted or soaked then is there any point me actually buying a relatively expensive supplement if the same thing is going to happen or it is just pink mash as it is a different product?

Scarlett

Visit site
Yes, all the time. Our morning feeds are soaked the night before and sat ready for the am.

Given how well my horses do on Pink Mash I dont think this has had any negative effect over the 3 years we have been doing it.

cblover

Visit site
Yes I’ve been using cold water first, then topped up with hot from the kettle. I did wonder about using boiling water and how it would effect the pro and pre biotics.

The other way I could do it is to feed fast fibre instead and add nettex vip ulsa shield. Thoughts on this please?

Muddywellies

Visit site
I asked this question to Agrobs as I feed their gut restorer mash. They said not to soak all day as it is a natural product and doesn't contain any preservatives. I expect its the same for pink mash. I always take dry mash home in a pot and in the morning put warm water in it at home and by the time I arrive at the yard it's ready to use.