Anyone taken in end of life / old dogs from rescues?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

We're not currently set up for it, though should be by next summer, as I'd like to have a secure spot where they could be peaceful if they wanted. A bit of a sun spot and some shade, with good warmth when the colder months come.

Trying to think of the best set up. We have younger, active, and generally big dogs already, so it's figuring out how to make sure all are happy.

Anyone do this? Any tips or advice? Pitfalls, other than the obvious heartache and vets bills?

A large mug of tea and a Bonio by way of thanks for any replies ?

Last edited:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
It’s not something we’ve made a habit of, but have taken on 2 older collies when their previous owners died. We got Aled at 10.5, and lost him at around 13.

Recently we’ve taken on 12yo Ellie. She is much more spritely than Aled was at her age. He was very overweight though that didn’t do him any favours. Ellie has come in and tries to boss our two younger dogs all the time. They pretty much ignore her when she’s being a pest.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
It’s not something we’ve made a habit of, but have taken on 2 older collies when their previous owners died. We got Aled at 10.5, and lost him at around 13.

Recently we’ve taken on 12yo Ellie. She is much more spritely than Aled was at her age. He was very overweight though that didn’t do him any favours. Ellie has come in and tries to boss our two younger dogs all the time. They pretty much ignore her when she’s being a pest.

Thank you. Feeding and nutrition and suitable exercise. The big ones are now used to small annoying ones thanks to the wee dog.

meleeka

Visit site
My parents took on an elderly dog from a rescue. He’s went not long ago but was a fantastic dog. The rescue said he had a problem with other dogs, but he was friendly to everyone and everything. He did suffer with separation anxiety (probably couldn’t believe his luck and didn’t want it to end!) but even that wasn’t really an issue as he was such a calm dog. I don’t think you can take on an older dog thinking it needs less of anything, because it will have the same needs as any dog with regard to companionship and care along with extra worries about possible health issues.

I’ve found myself taking on older dogs and horses and I’m not sure why I do it to myself. I currently have 4 veteran ponies and 2 older dogs. Of those 2 horses and 1 dog were already old when I got them. I’d say the extra cost is the main thing. Most are on joint supplements which isn’t cheap when you add it all up.

pistolpete

Visit site
I took on a sixteen year old cocker spaniel several years ago. Had 18 happy months with him during which time he had eye surgery! He was fabulous. A joyful happy character who wagged his tiny tail constantly. The walks were very slow though! Also took in two eight year old spaniels one was nearer nine. They were lovely too. One had cancer sadly and went at eleven the other was nearly fifteen. Loved them dearly. I would take on an oldie if I thought it would cope with the mad lurcher and I could afford the vet bills.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Some 'rescue' organisations will pay the medical bills for animals that are hard to place (like oldies), in order to facilitate a good home for them. It would probably be worth you building a relationship with an organisation like Dogs' Trust, so that they can let you know what they feel their oldies need. Although my experience is that dogs that need rehoming fall into your lap when you least expect it.

Karran

Visit site
My Grandparents used to take in retired police dogs. By the time they came to them, their hips and joints were knackered. Don't think any of them lasted more than 4 or 5 years tops, but that suited them as then they had a break, a long holiday and reassessed to see if they were capable of taking in another.

They had three GSD's and a Dobie while I grew up, the last dog was a puppy farm ex-breeding cocker bitch who was there about 6 months being spoilt rotten before PTS.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It is something I've always wanted to do. I don't have time or space at the moment but I have occasional day dreams about a field full of old ponies and a kitchen full of old dogs. The reality of it would be quite hard though.

I think a nice big kitchen space with an aga or a multifuel stove would be necessity for the old dogs.

stangs

Visit site
I’ve considered it in the past, but am not the best at dealing with grief so staying away from the idea for now.

Some cat rescues I know do ‘long term fostering’; basically, these are animals that are very unlikely to be adopted, so rescue will cover most of the costs in return for you giving them a home. Might be worth seeing if any dog rescues local to you do the same?

leflynn

Visit site
Local greyhound rescue has oldies for permanent fostering sometimes, the deal is often if they have known medical worries that they will cover the vet bills, might also be worth considering speaking to a rescue partic the smaller ones even if it is for those that seem to be harder to home?

fiwen30

Visit site
It’s a wonderful thing to want to do!

We adopted our girl cat 2 years ago aged 8ish, she came with a lot of behavioural problems, and she’s definitely a cat with complex emotional needs.

Part of me would love a house full of wee oldies to treasure, but in reality I don’t think I can handle much more grief for a long time yet.

deb_l222

Visit site
Yes, lots, that's why I've had sooooooo many dogs because I've lost them relatively quickly.

There's nothing special you need to do, other than be prepared for them to take longer to settle. If it's been a bereavement (for them), there will be some element of confusion for a while as well but none of it lasts and regardless of age, they will all settle eventually.

As rescues go, the oldies are by far the most rewarding I think. Most are overlooked in rescue centres once they get past 7 or 8 years old but at that age, they still have plenty of life left in them.

Oldest oldie I had was Pip and she was 16 when she came to live with me. Fine, I thought, she will maybe go on another 6 months - 12 months tops. Nope, another 4 years that dog lived!! Loved her dearly.

Most joyous transformations were Kiera and Benji.

Kiera had lived her whole life (13 years) in an outside toilet, with no social skills to speak of. Was totally deaf, with severe ataxia. She was however a charmer from day one and embraced life outside of the toilet with such gusto and lack of fear she was an inspiration. She managed to get to nearly 15 but she hadn't been spayed so developed pyometra which she recovered from but then the dreaded mammary tumours got her in the end :(

Benji was a nightmare - owner bereavement at 13 but remaining owner (the wife) couldn't cope with his aggression so signed him over to rescue. It's no exaggeration to say he was almost unmanageable in the early days but with time, patience and a strong muzzle I was eventually able to do pretty much everything with him, without aggression. Another one kept alone all his life, struggling to communicate with his humans but he ADORED other dogs. Without the help of my other dogs, he would have remained pretty much the same I think. Old age got him at 15.

I could go on with lots more but I won't.

Do it, you won't regret it for a moment :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
deb_I222 Thank you! Sounds wonderful. Very well done indeed. I've started collecting bits and bobs, coats and the suchlike, and will add muzzles for the jic.

Started a savings pot for vets, etc., bills, though income is generally good enough to manage most things.

I think it'll be the littlies. We'll be living in a tin can for the next two or three years, and even when built any house won't be huge.

I'm drawn, for some reason, to those that don't have too long left. So they know a home and warmth and love. Gawd, I know, I sound like a right saft dope.

A sofa surfing lap dog sounds perfect! Who knows what treasures are down there ?

Bradsmum

Visit site
Our current dog came via a small local rescue though we picked him up from his previous home as they did not want him going into kennels but could not keep him themselves. He was 9 yrs when we got him and though he was a little confused to start with, he has been a great dog and I don't regret getting an older dog. We've actually bumped into his previous owners and he recognised them and went bananas jumping around them but was happy to come back to us so we must be doing something right. I would definitely get an older dog again when the time comes.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I adopted a JRT from the Dogs Trust. He was 9. His owner had gone into sheltered housing. Poor little chap had been moved to the "quiet block" and wasn't doing well, wouldn't eat, just sat facing the corner.

He walked in here, ate the cat food, jumped on the sofa and looked forward to the next 7 years of his life.

Brilliant little dog.

I was told his owner had been ringing the rescue every day to see if he had found a home but sadly they were unwilling to pass my phone number to his previous owner. I would have been happy for him to ring me or to take Ben to visit him.

misst

Visit site
We had our lovely girl Breeze from the Cinnamon Trust. Her owner had lived in a care home for 2 years and she shared his room. The staff "walked her in the garden" twice daily and she just stayed in his room with him the rest of the time. She was approx 9 or 10 when we took her. She was a cross breed medium height and sturdy build. She had been rehomed to her owner by the RSPCA a few years previous after being tied to their gate with a box of puppies. She had had a few litters the vet said.

She was a fabulous girl. She was very shut down and depressed initially but so gentle and kind. She seemed so grateful for attention but never asked for it at first.
The first day she took herself out of the patio doors and stood in the garden was a landmark day. She seemed to wake up and notice she had freedom. She barked for the first time and ran in circles. She never looked back.

She arrived "lardy" (my vets description) and very unfit but gradually lost weight and was able to run about a bit. She was marvelous with children and amazing with our older JRT. Everyone loved her despite her ginger ugliness. She became more arthritic and slow in the last 6 months and then just went off her legs one day. She was PTS in the back of my husbands car as she was afraid to go into the vets and it needed doing urgently. Bless her I am so grateful for our couple of years with her and would happily take an older dog on again. There is something very very special about giving them a good retirement. Go for it Mrs M you will not regret it though there will be tears. x