Anyone tow with a Kia Sorento?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Am still on hunt for towcar and wondered if anyone could give feedback on the Kia-2004-2006 if possible. Thanks for any thoughts. To tow approx 1700kg max. B and E license.

9tails

Visit site
Yes, I have a 2004 Sorento. I tow an Ifor 511 with two large horses both weighing over 600kg. Car is up to the job and comfortable.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
It seems like a good choice, had a Hyundai sante Fe before and it was ok but would like something more powerful. Whats yours like maintenance and repair wise? Am not so worried about fuel economy as primarily a towcar and even then not great distances.

paddi22

Visit site
I'm the opposite. I wouldn't touch a kia sorrento with a bargepole having had one for a few years. I think they make them to last as long as the warranty and then they fall apart. I had an 06 and the engine went on it and they never knew what caused it. Got engine replaced and it went again after a few months. Before that it had driven and towed fine, but the four wheel drive was never good on it. It also seemed to burn oil very fast. What worried me about it was that they never found what any of the issues with it were. they just seemed to get it going again, but then it would break down again.

A friend has one and the power has just cut out on it twice. Once when she was towing. Like that, it went to garage and they hooked it up to the computer and it got going again, but they never knew what caused it.

Another friend had the engine go on her 06 as well.

I genuinely don't think they make them to last. After its 7 years old they seem to just give trouble. Any of the tow guys who rescued me in it would roll their eyes and say how often they broke down.

Ended up with a 00 banger of a trooper and its 100 times better. Bits and pieces go on it, but its always cheap and fixable, and they always know what the problem is.

9tails

Visit site
It has needed no maintenance or repairs apart from a service which was £160 from my local garage. It will need two new rear tyres in the near future, I can get them fitted for £70 each. It's on 110k miles. It's great on fuel.

9tails

Visit site
I'm the opposite. I wouldn't touch a kia sorrento with a bargepole having had one for a few years. I think they make them to last as long as the warranty and then they fall apart. I had an 06 and the engine went on it and they never knew what caused it. Got engine replaced and it went again after a few months. Before that it had driven and towed fine, but the four wheel drive was never good on it. It also seemed to burn oil very fast. What worried me about it was that they never found what any of the issues with it were. they just seemed to get it going again, but then it would break down again.

A friend has one and the power has just cut out on it twice. Once when she was towing. Like that, it went to garage and they hooked it up to the computer and it got going again, but they never knew what caused it.

Another friend had the engine go on her 06 as well.

I genuinely don't think they make them to last. After its 7 years old they seem to just give trouble. Any of the tow guys who rescued me in it would roll their eyes and say how often they broke down.

Ended up with a 00 banger of a trooper and its 100 times better. Bits and pieces go on it, but its always cheap and fixable, and they always know what the problem is.

Maybe it's those made in 06 because mine has been trouble free even though it's two years older and long out of warranty.

paddi22

Visit site
yep, all three have been 06s so maybe it was a dodgy year for kias! it absolutely broke my heart and wallet!

nato

Visit site
I drive an 06 Sorento (can't remember which model it is but it has permanent 4x4, sunroof, leather heated seats and cruise control - I went for the highest spec model). Have had it a year and fingers crossed hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. Considering it's permanent 4x4 it's light on fuel, doesn't burn oil (still pretty much full after a year), and sailed through the MOT.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have an 05 Kia Sorento Automatic, tow a Ifor 510 with no problems. It only has 57k on the clock and I have had it 4 years with no problems at all.

I had a Nissan Terrano 7 seater before that, which was a proper work horse, so wanted something with a bit more comfort. Took advice from our mechanic and he said they were fab cars in that the parts were easy to get hold of and relatively cheap.

I would have a another in a heartbeat.

stilltrying

Visit site
I had a 2004 sorento diesel auto and it was great for towing, very capable. I think the max capacity was 2.7 or 2.8 tons? However as others have said the build quality is not to the same standard as some of the prestige cars, but you get what you pay for. I didn't walk to fork out an extra 5k to 10k for something smarter, mine was a workhorse and did the job just fine.

molly7886

Visit site
I had an 04 manual. Brilliant car for towing. Loved it. Now got a newer model which has more mod cons for everyday driving but has got the same guts for towing.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the info from everyone, there is a choice of two at one place but one is an auto-never driven one and not sure I would like it? Also-does much go wrong with the automatic transmission? Are they more difficult to fix?

Sealine

Visit site
I tow a 511 with a diesel auto 2008 Sorento. I've had it five years and I think it's got about 80k miles on it. I've not had any problems and only replaced the usual (tyres/battery/brake pads). It's never let me down. It's always got me off wet fields in winter when out hunting too. I have three friends who also tow with Sorentos of a similar age and I'm not aware of any issues they've had either. Highly recommended as a tow vehicle by me.

I bought an auto as I was advised it's easier to tow with and smoother for the horses. Now I've had an auto I don't think I'd go back to a manual car.

9tails

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the info from everyone, there is a choice of two at one place but one is an auto-never driven one and not sure I would like it? Also-does much go wrong with the automatic transmission? Are they more difficult to fix?

Check the road tax on the auto, it could be substantially higher if it's an 06 onwards model. I love autos and they generally don't go wrong, though my Sorento is manual. I bought the best car I could find which happened to be a manual. My previous towing vehicle was auto and it was so easy, my everyday car is auto too and 20 years old.

Have a look here, generally those in the K band are £290 pa but anything in L or M are substantially higher.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/revie...kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/running-costs/

Llanali

Visit site
I tow with a 04 auto diesel Sorrento and adore it. Have also towed with pajeros, shoguns, terranos and a discos and a defender. Hand on heart for comfort and towing combined, the Sorrento is my winner.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I have an 03 diesel manual and love it. It tows upto 2800kg and pulls my big warmblood and chunky Welsh x in a Bateson trailer with ease. Good on fuel and touch wood in over 2 years its not cost me much to maintain or mot. Love it.

Do double check any you view for towing weights as Kia in their wisdom have really messed around over the years and some later models have rubbish towing capacity.

I should add I was a trailer novice when I got mine and it's been easy to learn with the Kia as it's so easy to drive.

9tails

Visit site
Thanks 9tails. Whate were your criteria for choosing the best car? My garage has suggested a low mileage one.....

My criteria were:

Service history of sorts - didn't mind if it wasn't full but wanted to see it had a bit of lovin'
Nice colour - mine is black
Leather interior - tick
Gubbins - you know what I'm talking about, the pretty stuff. Mine has a full chrome bullbar kit and chrome around the lights.

I bought a low mileage car for towing, it was a pile of crap because it barely moved in its years and things were seizing almost on a daily basis. I prefer to see a reasonable mileage for a 10+ year old car, at least it's been used.

Llanali

Visit site
As an example in 2014 I bought an 04 2.2 l diesel auto with 98k miles: I also like to see it has been used; avg 5-10k miles per year would be my expectation: with full kia dealership service history and one owner, from a reputable local garage for £5000. Well, technically for my Honda CRV and £1800 cash.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
My criteria were:

Service history of sorts - didn't mind if it wasn't full but wanted to see it had a bit of lovin'
Nice colour - mine is black
Leather interior - tick
Gubbins - you know what I'm talking about, the pretty stuff. Mine has a full chrome bullbar kit and chrome around the lights.

I bought a low mileage car for towing, it was a pile of crap because it barely moved in its years and things were seizing almost on a daily basis. I prefer to see a reasonable mileage for a 10+ year old car, at least it's been used.

Oh dear but i can see what you mean

marmalade88

Visit site
Any Sorento after 2009 isn't worth buying for towing. They changed the engine and the towing capacity.

This!! I managed to get a 2008 model as I wanted the youngest old model I could find. It tows brilliantly and I get approx 400 miles of diesel on one tank of fuel with my daily commute etc. Hoping to do more towing soon so the fuel efficiency will obviously drop. It has a massive boot which I love, and the boot door opens up rather than right/left which I always found really annoying if your doing the horse and have to keep walking around to get saddles/bridles etc.

9tails

Visit site
Not only does the enormous boot open upwards and not catch on the tow hitch like side opening doors (I'm looking at YOU Shogun), but you can also open just the back window. I wonder what this is for TBH, but it's a nice feature and could come in handy if you had a dog possibly?

mirage

Visit site
Mines an 07, had it 4 years with no issues. It tiws my hay trailer most days and my very heavy IW 505 effortlessly. I love it and I'm gutted that the newer ones have s lesser towing capacity. I don't know what I'll do when mine eventually needs replacing.

marmalade88

Visit site
Not only does the enormous boot open upwards and not catch on the tow hitch like side opening doors (I'm looking at YOU Shogun), but you can also open just the back window. I wonder what this is for TBH, but it's a nice feature and could come in handy if you had a dog possibly?

The top half opening is helpful when the boots is full and you happen to want what's on top of the enormous pile ....

*hangs head in shame*

I will say with my 506 if you have the jockey door pinned open (a lovely feature on the new ifors! Compared to the old ones swinging around) that the boot will catch on that as it lifts. So just be careful, admittedly not half as annoying at the one side door and probably an issue with all pop up boots. I don't personally have an issue with it but thought it was worth mentioning.

Clannad48

Visit site
I tow an Ifor Williams 505 with a large DWB on board, mine is a 2.5 Sorento XE automatic with 145k on the clock - admittedly it has been in the garage due to a glowplug issue (the previous owner fitted cheap ones and they seized in the head) - it tows a dream, sometimes I think I will forget I have the trailer on the back :) As said by others the boot space is huge, I can get at least 10 large bales of shavings in the back with the rear seats down and when competing at endurance my daughter can fit everything in (sometimes I think the kitchen sink is in there)