Anyone tow with a VAN?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Does anyone tow with a van? Stepdad has a VW Transporter T4. I know it can tow in theory but just wanted to know peoples experiences. It’ll only be one horse in the box. Thanks!x

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
How did it drive? I bet that looked interesting😆 and stepdad has B+E he’s had his licence over 25 years lol

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
How did it drive? I bet that looked interesting�� and stepdad has B+E he’s had his licence over 25 years lol

That means you can drive it on your B licence with him sitting next to you using L plates without the need to have him insured on it unless he actually drives it

scats

Visit site
How did it drive? I bet that looked interesting😆 and stepdad has B+E he’s had his licence over 25 years lol

Ill try and find a picture- it was great fun. The length of the combined vehicles was ridiculous, but it was like having a fully kitted out horse box when we were at shows. Plus we could stay over.
We were quite the spectacle at the time!

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
That means you can drive it on your B licence with him sitting next to you using L plates without the need to have him insured on it unless he actually drives it

It’s his van so he’ll probably just drive. I’m only 18 so it’d cost a fortune to have me insured😂
Does the whole towing with the T4 sound plausible? My horses safety is obviously paramount so I wouldn’t want to do anything that’s even slightly risky x

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Ill try and find a picture- it was great fun. The length of the combined vehicles was ridiculous, but it was like having a fully kitted out horse box when we were at shows. Plus we could stay over.
We were quite the spectacle at the time!

Would love to see that! I bet we’ll look a right picture too lol!

ROG

Visit site
It’s his van so he’ll probably just drive. I’m only 18 so it’d cost a fortune to have me insured��
Does the whole towing with the T4 sound plausible? My horses safety is obviously paramount so I wouldn’t want to do anything that’s even slightly risky x

Sound ok + less wind drag on trailer

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Does the weight of the tow vehicle not matter? I thought vans were a bit light to tow horses in trailers due to risk of "tail wagging the dog" effect?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Does the weight of the tow vehicle not matter? I thought vans were a bit light to tow horses in trailers due to risk of "tail wagging the dog" effect?

This is my main concern! I just wasn’t sure how to describe it but you’ve hit the nail on the head. I would be keeping tack/water/food etc in the van but obviously my horse weighs more than that x

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I’m finding this whole trailer thing very frazzling!

When working out towing weight do I have to consider things in the van?

For example: it would just be my horse in the horsebox. All my tack/extras would be in the back of the van. Do I need to add this to the total towing capacity (think that’s the MAM). And things like passengers?

Sorry if this makes me sound so dim but I want to be 100% certain all is safe and legal. Thanks all for your responses!

ROG

Visit site
I’m finding this whole trailer thing very frazzling!

When working out towing weight do I have to consider things in the van?

For example: it would just be my horse in the horsebox. All my tack/extras would be in the back of the van. Do I need to add this to the total towing capacity (think that’s the MAM). And things like passengers?

Sorry if this makes me sound so dim but I want to be 100% certain all is safe and legal. Thanks all for your responses!

Each have their own max weight limits as well as a total weight limit for both

What you put in the van goes for the van max weight limit or GVW
What you put in the trailer goes for the max trailer weight limit or MAM
The van will also list a max weight limit for both together or GTW

There is also a max towing limit for the van listed on the V5 keepers doc

Take each one at a time and ensure each has been complied with so it keeps things simple

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Each have their own max weight limits as well as a total weight limit for both

What you put in the van goes for the van max weight limit or GVW
What you put in the trailer goes for the max trailer weight limit or MAM
The van will also list a max weight limit for both together or GTW

There is also a max towing limit for the van listed on the V5 keepers doc

Take each one at a time and ensure each has been complied with so it keeps things simple

Kirb weight is 2900kg
Towing weight is 1800kg

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Very safe to tow 1800

one horse in a double trailer is likely to be around 1500

Thanks :) I’ve been looking at Ifor 405’s (think a local company hires out!) as think the weight of trailer and horse adds up to about 1400kg. I know a company that hires out the big ifors but that would be pushing it because of the unladen weight. Thanks very much you’ve been so helpful :) x

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its not uncommon for driving people to do it. Carriage in the van and horse in the trailer. I looked into it but decided against it as I wanted a towing car so we had a second car

FDLady

Visit site
I do regularly. We use the landrovers for local and use a ford transit that has been converted into a camper if going for long distance or staying overnight - tows beautifully when you get a hang of the length of the two combined. Have also used a van before to carry a carriage but that was a mission and half. It unnerved me at the start that i couldnt see the trailer through the back so we have 2 camera's installed. One connects to see into the trailer and another at the hitch lock - never had any issues. If gets quite a few odd looks but it certainly does the job with luxury - no more awkward changes in the trailer and watery tea from the showgrounds.

As ROG said just check the limits but they're very capable of doing the job.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I do regularly. We use the landrovers for local and use a ford transit that has been converted into a camper if going for long distance or staying overnight - tows beautifully when you get a hang of the length of the two combined. Have also used a van before to carry a carriage but that was a mission and half. It unnerved me at the start that i couldnt see the trailer through the back so we have 2 camera's installed. One connects to see into the trailer and another at the hitch lock - never had any issues. If gets quite a few odd looks but it certainly does the job with luxury - no more awkward changes in the trailer and watery tea from the showgrounds.

As ROG said just check the limits but they're very capable of doing the job.

Great! How does your transit cope in certain situations eg hills, bends and is there anything it struggles with?x

FDLady

Visit site
Great! How does your transit cope in certain situations eg hills, bends and is there anything it struggles with?x

You rarely even notice the trailer behind to be honest, im from the Fens though so cant really comment on what it would be like near long steep hills but we've never had any issues with what we have encountered on our travels. Very easy in comparison to some vehicles we've used. The total length is about the same as if you were going to tow a caravan so its very doable most places and as long as you count for it by using common sense you shouldnt have any issues. Ours regularly goes down tiny bendy single lanes to get to the yard with no problem. Only thing we find fun though is trying to hook up if you're by yourself - can be a bit of guesswork hence why we installed the camera aimed towards the hitchlock.