Anyone tried a waistcoat back protector?

dixie

Visit site
I’ve not seen that before but looks really quite good. A nice compromise between nothing and a full on body protector
I school and jump in my Helite gilet though, which I love. I can also zip the liner into a jumping jacket, so it’s very versatile but considerably more expensive than the link you shared.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought a back protector from ebay, it is a No Fear (LOL) one from Sports Direct and originally for skiing. I opened it up and took out 2 of the 3 layers of padding and now it is perfect.

I like that only straps go round your arms, so it is essentially like the old fashioned back protectors of my youth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Fear-...var=502311192509&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It is not to any equine standard, but is so comfortable even when it is hot that I do actually wear it, plus it has an inbuilt back support.

Win/win for me, but obviously I could not recommend it as it has no testing etc (especially after I opened it up, removed some padding and sewed it shut again!).

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
A few people I ride with wear one of those, others have things that look like police bullet-proof jackets.

It certainly looks like it breathes better than the bullet-proof jackets.

naomibmck

Visit site
I’d recommend having a look at the modern racesafe (i think that’s what they’re called) body protectors. They seem a kind of mix between the traditional style and this waistcoat type. They’re super super light and really flexible.

EllenJay

Visit site

EllenJay

Visit site
That's interesting - is it because it explodes inwards and squashes your organs??
I think it's because it goes off quite violently, and if there isn't much between your body and the air jacket it can cause quite serious injury.

I only heard about this last week myself, so need to do more investigation

Shay

Visit site
Its a myth that an air jacket without a BP will cause injury - but it will wind you. BE / FEI / Pony Club insist you wear a BP beneath but I think that has more to do with the lack of approved safety standards for air jackets. OP one of my foster daughters wears a BP like that - they aren't safety certified and you can't compete in them where a BP is required, but they are definitely better than nothing. She's riding and competing in Spain and apparently they are quite popular there.

C1airey

Visit site
Its a myth that an air jacket without a BP will cause injury - but it will wind you. BE / FEI / Pony Club insist you wear a BP beneath but I think that has more to do with the lack of approved safety standards for air jackets. OP one of my foster daughters wears a BP like that - they aren't safety certified and you can't compete in them where a BP is required, but they are definitely better than nothing. She's riding and competing in Spain and apparently they are quite popular there.

Most equestrian air jackets start to deflate slowly immediately after going off. This could leave you unprotected in the event of a secondary impact, hence why events insist on a body protector under the air jacket.

Otherwise

Visit site
A friend uses that one under a show jacket when she competes the babies, she wears a proper body protector for everyday but the waistcoat style is completely invisible under a jacket.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Be very careful just wearing an air jacket without a body protector, it can cause more damage than it helps

This is completely untrue for a correctly fitted air jacket. It won't wind you either, if it does it's too tight.

Most people using one day to day use it without a body protector. I've fallen off many times in mine and never been caused any damage. I think I've been saved from a lot though.

EllenJay

Visit site
This is completely untrue for a correctly fitted air jacket. It won't wind you either, if it does it's too tight.

Most people using one day to day use it without a body protector. I've fallen off many times in mine and never been caused any damage. I think I've been saved from a lot though.
From the BHS website
AIR JACKETS
As air jackets become more popular, some riders are choosing to wear one over a level three body protector to enhance their protection, as air jackets purport to offer further safety features. However, these jackets – which are made with airbags which inflate when a mechanism is activated as the rider is thrown from the horse, and attach to the saddle with a lanyard – are still relatively new to the market and do not currently meet any recognised safety standard on their own.

If worn alone, they offer little protection to the rider, and manufacturers state clearly that they should ideally be worn with a BETA level three EN13158 body protector. Air jackets work well for flat falls but offer limited, if any, protection against direct kicks when falling or on the ground.
Hybrid versions of these garments are available, combining a body protector, which should always be approved to BETA Level 3, with an air jacket.
For more information, download the BETA Guide to Body Protection (pdf) or contact the BHS Safety Team on 02476 840516 or safety@bhs.org.uk.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
That's interesting - is it because it explodes inwards and squashes your organs??

not all of them, I recently bought a HitAir and it inflates outwards. I hate normal BPs and decided on an air jacket for hacking (I dont do jumping). I was convinced to get one from people that actually already have one... OH and I had fun setting it off while I wore it-strangely didnt injure myself.

ycbm

Visit site
From the BHS website
AIR JACKETS
As air jackets become more popular, some riders are choosing to wear one over a level three body protector to enhance their protection, as air jackets purport to offer further safety features. However, these jackets – which are made with airbags which inflate when a mechanism is activated as the rider is thrown from the horse, and attach to the saddle with a lanyard – are still relatively new to the market and do not currently meet any recognised safety standard on their own.

If worn alone, they offer little protection to the rider, and manufacturers state clearly that they should ideally be worn with a BETA level three EN13158 body protector. Air jackets work well for flat falls but offer limited, if any, protection against direct kicks when falling or on the ground.
Hybrid versions of these garments are available, combining a body protector, which should always be approved to BETA Level 3, with an air jacket.
For more information, download the BETA Guide to Body Protection (pdf) or contact the BHS Safety Team on 02476 840516 or safety@bhs.org.uk.

As a long term user I have to say that this information from the BHS in parts complete bollocks!

They are not new to the market, they have been around for motor cyclists for decades and for horse riders for many years. I had my first one ten years ago.

Anyone who has fallen off in one will tell you that they offer significant protection, not 'very little'.

It is rubbish to say that they offer little protection from kicks once you have fallen. They take a long time to deflate and offer kick protection for a considerable time.

It is true that maximum protection is provided by the use of a standard body protector as well. But how many of us are going to wear both on a daily basis?

And given a choice between my restrictive, hot, sweaty body protector and my airy air jacket, I will wear an air jacket when I would not wear a body protector.

soloequestrian

Visit site
The BETA wording is a bit odd too:
• Level 1 - provides the lowest level of protection that is only considered appropriate for licensed jockeys. Level 1 is designed to meet the weight restrictions that apply to professional jockeys whilst racing.
• Level 2 - offers a lower than normal level of protection. It is considered suitable for general riding in very low risk situations and for professionals such as licensed jockeys when specified by their racing authority or regulatory body.
• Level 3 - is considered appropriate for general riding, competitions including eventing and working with horses. Level 3 body protectors should prevent minor bruising that would have produced stiffness and pain, reduce soft tissue injuries and prevent a limited number of rib fractures.

'Lower than normal' could almost be read as it being worse than wearing nothing! This is the standard that most of the waistcoat style back protectors are. I've bought one anyway, just awaiting its arrival through the post.

Widgeon

Visit site
It is true that maximum protection is provided by the use of a standard body protector as well. But how many of us are going to wear both on a daily basis?

And given a choice between my restrictive, hot, sweaty body protector and my airy air jacket, I will wear an air jacket when I would not wear a body protector.

Totally agree. Even the best and lightest body protectors are still cumbersome and hot. I ride a sensible pony in the school and out hacking, and I honestly don't think I would put a BP on for a lot of what we do - but I wear the air jacket every time I get on. It's like drug trials - it's all very well saying "in ideal use" but who really uses a product exactly as per manufacturers' instructions? Air jackets are a comfortable pragmatic option. Obviously if I was going to go XC I would put a BP on underneath. I love my hit air.

ycbm

Visit site
I started wearing my air jacket every time I ride last year when I had two green horses, one young and the other a racehorse. Now I'm in the habit, I've agreed with the OH that I will wear it all the time because I don't bounce any more at my age, and it's become second nature.

It is interesting that people above have described taking layers out of their protectors to make them comfortable enough to ride in.

Those people would probably be safer in an air jacket of they are seeking comfort, because removing layers destroys the level of protection that the body protector was tested for.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I have an air jacket but I haven't tried wearing it yet - mainly because I still want the freedom to get off in an organised way but rapidly! The one I bought is second hand - how often do people have them serviced and is there more to that than just giving them a test, which I suppose I could do myself? Is it a good idea to test it to find out what it feels and sounds like before it actually gets put to use or not? (Although it's second hand I did get fitted for one properly so it should be the correct size for me).

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is interesting that people above have described taking layers out of their protectors to make them comfortable enough to ride in.

Those people would probably be safer in an air jacket of they are seeking comfort, because removing layers destroys the level of protection that the body protector was tested for.

But mine was not even designed to ride in, so no level to keep up to :p One layer of flexible foam is better than none, but by removing the other 2 layers it is now practically undetectable when riding. I mean I can't feel it, not really bothered what it looks like.

I have made it so comfy that I do ride in it, every time recently. And yes, I do have an air jacket, and no, I don't like riding in it as it slops around. I also have a level 3 protector, one of the new Racesafe ones with holes, and no, that one stays in the tack room too. Of course, if under competition rules, to visit a XC course or anywhere where one needs to be worn, I wear one. I will likely wear the air jacket on top of the level 3 when I go up to BE100 again. It is all about an individual's perception of risk. I never used to wear any safety back protector unless it was compulsory.

Mine is now FAB. A back support and a thin layer of vented foam up my back. That is what I used to do team chasing in as a kid. I don't recommenend anyone else does it, but it really works for me.

One thing I don't skimp on is a hat. Usually a SNELL, but next time I will buy one of the new Charles Owen MIPS. Tried it on in the tack shop earlier this week, will get one bought shortly.