Anyone tried Pet Corrector? It works!!

keeperscottage

Visit site
Whilst at the vet the other day, I noticed a red aerosol can on their shelves called "Pet Corrector". Curious, I picked it up to find out what it was. Bascally, the can emits a blast of compressed air which interrupts "undesirable behaviour" such as barking, jumping up, aggression etc. I asked one of the nurses whether they'd had any fed-back and she said someone had bought a can and was really impressed, so I handed over my tenner and couldn't wait to try it on my confirmed barker, Molly, a five year old Springer. Now Molly just loves barking - the merest sight or sound of ANYTHING is an excuse for her to bark, and as soon as my car pulls up, she goes into over-drive!

Anyway, when I got home, as soon as she started barking, I whipped out the can, pressed the button.......and Molly was silenced! After just a couple of burst of the spray, just the sight of the can shut her up! AMAZING! Today (two days after purchasing Pet Corrector), I arrived at the front door.....the silence was deafening! Also, one of my other dogs, Bryn, a Large Munsterlander, always barks when he first goes into the garden - but not any more! Love it!

However.......I'm currently looking after two dogs for a friend, a choccy lab and a really annoying young lurcher which is quite vocal and telling it to "Quiet!" has no effect whatsoever.......so I tried Pet Corrector whenever she started barking but that had no effect whatsoever on her either! However close I sprayed, and for however long, she took no notice of it - but I don't care because they're going home on Monday and Pet Corrector works for my dogs, which is the most important thing!!!!

Anyone else tried it and with what results? I'd be really interested to hear!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yep, I got one at Crufts last year when Evie was constantly doing wrong:p. Only had to use it a couple of times and she learned what the red can meant. I gave mine to a friend who had trouble with her 2 whippets fighting and stopped them at the first mutter.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It does depend on the dog, it would make my female freak out and bark more out of anxiety probably, and her brother would probably want to eat it, along with the arm of whoever was holding it :p :eek:
I know barking is annoying, but it is how they communicate, and jumping up is just a way of saying hi, usually! It's usually best to try and train it out of them or train them that it is a behaviour that can be expressed only when you say so, like the command 'speak' or 'high five'/'HUG!'

KarynK

Visit site
My trainer is never without one as she takes on dogs some others will chuck out of class!! used it the other day when Digger was being a pain, he hadn't been for ages, and there on the back of the can is a picture of him!!!

Can't use it on the evil one however as he would snatch it out of my hand and kill it!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yes I've tried it. Our two dogs and the neighbour's dog have had a long-standing warfare situation over many years; and every time I go past there's a lot of barking and aggro. I've found the Pet Corrector good as basically it distracts the dogs from the aggression and gives you that bit of a pause to get the situation under control again.

BUT I agree it wouldn't work with a nervous dog and would make the whole thing worse. One of my dogs is quite stressy and she hates it. So I would only use it in an emergency where there's another dog gonna start a problem.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
We used one for Betsy as she was quite aggressive towards people with food when she was tiny (It was easier to tell everyone to use the can when she did it than to expect OHs mum to actually put her back on the floor and ignore her / put her in another room).

The can did eventually lose effect with B, I think she learnt that nothing bad happened after the big noise but I am considering getting another one for the barking episodes she has.

Mogg

Visit site
At home i have a can of compressed air keyboard cleaner. Its a 400ml can and cost me £5 from Asda and works just the same as the Pet Corrector. You can get similar products online, Google compressed air keyboard cleaner. Works a treat when Mickey gets too rough with the cat, now i just have to show him the tin.
(he thinks the cat will play like his dog friends do and gets a bit rough and cat never retaliates with teeth or claws, just runs to a high spot. Soon as M settles down the cat is purring and rubbing himself all over him so he obviously doesnt mind it too much but i worry about him getting hurt)

keeperscottage

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies - all very interesting! Yes, I know barking is a dog's way of communicating but Molly barks for the slightest reason - a neighbour arriving home, or, if in the car, someone we drive past who is walking a dog, riding a bicycle - anything! If my car is parked and she's in the back, if I try to speak to anyone, she goes crazy - it's embarrassing and it has to stop! Molly was our first dog (ex-husband never wanted dogs, so when he went, the dogs arrived, he he!) and I admit she was somewhat spoilt (she's snoring at my feet as I type!) and if this miracle aerosol can works, then I'm happy! I've been waiting for my neighbours to start complaining, she's THAT bad! Our gun dog dog trainer knows about it and approves of it, too! Spoke to her only yesterday about it (we're having one of her accidental litter of Springador pups - photos to follow shortly!). I'm happy to use it because it doesn't hurt them in any way, but the results are amazing!

3DE

Visit site
I dont know whether I said this earlier or not... A dog only barks if it has a need to. If you take control and become the dog's protector then they no longer 'need' to bark. If the dog feels insecure at your leadership then they will see the need to defend their territory and thus will bark.

I have 4 dogs now and all of them are silent. People think it's funny that we have 'guard dogs' signs but the dogs are mute...

keeperscottage

Visit site
Yes, Inky_and_Sunny, I totally agree with you! Molly was our first dog (ex-husband didn't want dogs, so when he left the dogs arrived, he he !) and has been spoiled. Our four subsequent dogs know that we are "top dog" and are no problem whatsoever. But Molly's barking is so bad that we are waiting for our neighburs to complain (even though we live in a very rural area). If Pet Corrector works, and it has worked thus far, then I'm happy. I love my dogs, they give me so much pleasure, but this barking problem with Molly has to STOP!