Anyone use an App when hacking to track their ride?

cullord

Visit site
I used to use an App on my Galaxy S3 which tracked my ride; speed, distance, route, etc. but can't remember what it was called. (This was about 3 years ago)

Can anyone recommend a good App that does the same and is reliable?

Coblover63

Visit site
There is one called RoadID which is free but also has a clever feature that if you stop for more than 15 mins and forget to stop it or pause it, it will assume you have had an accident and will email or text a named next of kin. Useful if you are solo hacking, fall off and get knocked out.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use view ranger, mostly for navigation though as it works using OS maps ;).

No phone signal usually so at least there wouldn't be lots of random texts to my next of kin while I stand and work out where we are/should be going/admire the view!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
A few I have tried are

Runtastic
Sportypal
MapmyRun
Endomundo

I found some seemed to work better with some phones than others. Endomondo decided I was in eastern europe and told me I had done about 1000 miles in 2 hours and mapmyrun kept getting lost in the woods however worked well for a friends iPhone. I had best results with sportypal for a older nokia and runtastic for windows phone.

cullord

Visit site
A few I have tried are

Runtastic
Sportypal
MapmyRun
Endomundo

I found some seemed to work better with some phones than others. Endomondo decided I was in eastern europe and told me I had done about 1000 miles in 2 hours and mapmyrun kept getting lost in the woods however worked well for a friends iPhone. I had best results with sportypal for a older nokia and runtastic for windows phone.

Wow 1000 miles in 2 hours! You considered endurance riding!! Lol.

TTK

Visit site
I tried Endomondo on an iphone 4. The ride tracking and detail was brilliant but it is such a busy app that it flattened the battery from a full charge in 2 hours. thus negating the usefulness of having a phone with you while hacking. Bit of a dead loss really. I just memorise it now and put it into Mapometer when I get home which sort of does it for me.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I use endomondo. Have tried the rest and don't find they have everything I want. Never found it flattened my battery more compared to any other app!

Annagain

Visit site
I've used OS Map Finder. The app is free but you have to pay for the relevant OS map. It's pretty accurate and you can plan a route and then track your progress along it, which is good if you're in an unfamiliar area. I like exploring but I'm pretty average with map reading so it's good to stop me getting lost!

Boxers

Visit site
If you can't find an app to work well or not drain the battery while out, you could plot your route afterwards using an app called Farness. It cost £1.49 and you can plot your route and it will tell you the distance, you can also save routes.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
There is one called RoadID which is free but also has a clever feature that if you stop for more than 15 mins and forget to stop it or pause it, it will assume you have had an accident and will email or text a named next of kin. Useful if you are solo hacking, fall off and get knocked out.

Thanks Coblover, I've just downloaded this one :) Maybe it's updated since your version but mine says it sends an alert after 5 minutes of being stationary, if the user doesn't turn off the warning alarm first. It also can send regular updates with your location to the person you nominated for your alert, so presumably would work reasonably well to track your route. They trialled it for 4 hours and used 50% of the battery life.

DressageCob

Visit site
I use SportsTracker. It tells me the time, distance, average speed etc but even better tells me my top speed. So far my top speed is 26mph :D

It also doesn't drain the battery.

cullord

Visit site
Well, I tried Endomondo but the GPS didn't seem to want to work properly on my Galaxy S4 Mini. It started off with great GPS signal at start of walk but then lost it within 5 minutes, so by the end of the walk, when it picked it back up again, it was totally out when it came to the distance covered and route taken. Meanwhile, my OH, who was with me and had also uploaded it onto his iPhone 5 and set it at the same time I did on my phone, had great results; the whole route was logged and mapped out at the end. Huh. No fair.

Anyway, I've give up with that mobile and App combination (plus I HATE the poxy S4 Mini :( ), so have dragged my old Samsung Galaxy S3 out of retirement and have uploaded the Viewranger GPS app onto that. I'll test it out tomorrow and see if I have more luck with that one.