Anyone use anything like this?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site

PapaverFollis

Visit site
That looks really useful.

I once had to carry the Sprollie for almost 2 miles, across the shoulders biblical shepherd style. He was only about 16kg but it was blinkin hard work! He'd skinned his pads, really randomly as it was a walk we did frequently, and wouldn't walk at all.

deb_l222

Visit site
Nice idea but I'd probably forget to pack it!!

Years ago, one of my springers had a heart attack and died on a walk. I can truly say it wasn't much fun carrying 22kg of dog (dead weight literally) back home. It was less that 1/2 a mile to get home and I was a lot fitter then but I was exhausted.

I think with a rottie, even with one of those, you wouldn't stand a chance on your own. You would struggle to carry any distance with two people. Just think how many people get mobilised when they have to carry humans off mountains and a rottie can weigh as much as a small human.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Deb..that’s sounds like the walk from hell,what an awful situation to face.I would have cried every step of the way.

re the carry pack,id not buy one.The chances of the dog needing one are slight...for a dog that’s huge you probably wouldn’t be able to carry it....regarding the size of the pack ,I’d prefer to carry a mini igloo tent,then I could hole up and wait for rescue.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Coincidentally I had to carry Beata home down a hill on a small deer trail on my shoulders yesterday (she weighs around 15 kg).
Short version of what happened is that she started limping on our walk, tensed up when I looked at the leg, I carried her home, she limped one time after I put her down, still tensed up when I wanted to look at the leg, so I called the veterinarian, got an appointment to next Monday, and she (yet) haven't limped another step since I made the call.

I hope it was just something temporary in a muscle, or perhaps a pinched nerve, and if it doesn't come back, I'll cancel the appointment.

Anyhow, I suppose I could have used one of those Emergency Dog Carrier things yesterday, if I had owned one. But even though I almost always have a first aid kit for dogs with me out on my daily long dog walk, I strongly suspect that the hypothetical Emergency Dog Carrier would have been laying somewhere at home.
I think it seems more useful to have my mobile with me, so that I perhaps could call for help.

I have no idea if it would have been better or worse for Beata's back if I had been able to carry her in one of those things, than over the shoulders like I did. All I know is that my somewhat bad back didn't have much problems with carrying her on my shoulders.

Ditto what Bellasophia said, what you had to do Deb_I222, sounds like the walk from hell. What an awfully sad situation for you to have to go through, as if it wasn't sad enough that your dog died. Belated {{{{hugs}}}}

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm tempted... Have carried smaller dogs in a jacket turned into a makeshift carrier, but no idea how I'd manage with a Rottie, or even the GSD.

D1 and I will be getting out doing more hill and forest walks and we'll probably always have at least one dog with us.

https://fidoprotection.com/products/airlift-by-fido-pro-emergency-dog-carrying-harness-europe

Forgot to ask, do you think either you, D1, or both of you are strong enough to carry one of your Rotties in one of those things? If you have a good, largeish backpack, have you tried loading it with around 50 kg, and put it on your back to see if you can carry that weight?

Not much point in buying one of those things, if neither of you are able to carry such weights.

Then a travois sounds like a better idea. Perhaps buy a pair of telescopic trekking walking poles for you each, add some sort of fabric or net, + some tie strings, and in an emergency, perhaps the poles could be tied together, with the fabric/net tied between the poles, so that you have your own makeshift travois.

Travois_Sketch.gif

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Thanks for the link. Although it's too expensive, I just knew there had to be something like that on the market somewhere. I once had to carry a collapsed lab for 3/4 mile. I must have had superhuman strength that day.
We do a lot of fell walking over rough terrain and a couple of times have had to carry the border terrier when he's had an injury. Sometimes styles over stone walls are not dog friendly and we have to lift the collie over. After 10 lifts, whilst balancing on a wooden ladder, you kind of lose the will to live. I'd been thinking about a design that I could stuff in a backpack for those random events.
Thanks Mrs M, I'll see if anything else is available, or failing that, I'll make something.

Moobli

Visit site
I don’t know what I’d do if one of my GSDs became badly injured while out walking alone. I’d probably just have to get home and drag hubby back out with the Landy. No mobile reception is an issue here too.