Anyone use Equipack??

Bojangles

Visit site
My boy's is being fitted with this due to a ongoing foot problem. He's had xrays done yesterday and the vet would like this on to aswell as his egg bar's shoes. I would like to know if theres any problems with useing it good and bad point's. I have read that sometimes it can fall out?? Is there any other product that will give the same support as the Equipack?? It's a lot of £££££ for it not to work.

At the moment his on box rest on a very deep bed up to the door and daniilon too then to be look at in a couple of week's.

applecart14

Visit site
My boy's is being fitted with this due to a ongoing foot problem. He's had xrays done yesterday and the vet would like this on to aswell as his egg bar's shoes. I would like to know if theres any problems with useing it good and bad point's. I have read that sometimes it can fall out?? Is there any other product that will give the same support as the Equipack?? It's a lot of £££££ for it not to work.

At the moment his on box rest on a very deep bed up to the door and daniilon too then to be look at in a couple of week's.

Here is the link to their website if anyone is unsure exactly what it is.
http://www.vettec.com/equi-pak.html

I've used it for the current horse, a 17.1hh WB as the vet recommended it for its concussive properties (horse diagnosed with bony spur on n/s coffin joint). I tried it for about four shoeings. It was a bit of a disaster to be honest with you. The first time it lasted about four weeks (horse shod every six weeks). The second application lasted 2 weeks, the third about four days and at the fourth shoeing it last about 2 weeks again before breaking up. The problem was that if my horse was stood tied to the trailer on uneven ground, i.e flinty surface or dried mud surface he would scrape his feet on the floor and the equipak would eventually break up which obviously didn't give the required support. Even if he scraped his foot in a stream it would start falling out and even turned out the equipak didn't last long. It was expensive at around £25 per foot from what I can recollect. Here is a link which you might find interesting.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=233806

I tried rubber pads in the end as my farrier said these would work just as well. Then about a year down the line the vet came to do a routine flu and tet and i mentioned to him about the rubber pads instead of the equipak and he said that rubber pads are used to keep debris out of the hoof and the hoof dry and not for their concussive properties which are virtually nil.

Anyway turns out that the horse didn't need the pads anyway as he only received one steroid injection into his bony spur and that was about six years ago. And he had an active splint at the time (which I suspect was making him lame and the bony spur was just a coincidence and not making him lame).

If I were you I'd give it a go once, and only once. If it doesn't last the whole six weeks then you might need to have a rethink. I'm sure there are other things that are on the market that are cheaper, and if you look at the second link I sent you about an Equipak thread on H&H you will see a web address for a company that one horse owner got hers from much cheaper. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Bojangles

Visit site
applecate14- Thank you. He is 17.1 IDXDWB and has got pedal ostits sp?? He did have xrays done 5 year's ago which show this up and rest then into egg bar shoe's and upto now he has been fine with theses shoe's. He just got over a foot abscess I was worried I had missed some of it as he just wasnt gtting better as quickly as he normaly does.

So he had xray's done which show up this flared up. He did query about the abscess and is now saying he didnt have one dispite me saying about the black pus and the smell. Im going to ask to have a copy of the xrays. The farrier say's Equipack is the best for him I did do a bit of a search and find that someone used horse Trax Pads??? Where did you get rubber pads from?? I tried that link it doesnt work anymore.

He will need a tube and a half on each foot eekkk!!!