Anyone use human hair clippers on their horse?

tye_bo

Visit site
I had my horse re-clipped yesterday and for the first time had her tail shaved up the sides. I did originally want it pulling but the lady said it would be a huge job and would bleed/make her sore and that clipping would be kinder. She is welsh d x dales and has a hugely thick tail so I had it shaved.

To maintain it, the lady suggested I get some human hair clippers so that I can follow the lines and keep it trimmed and thought I could also use them the tidy up her feathers. Anyone use human hair clippers on their neddy??
smile.gif

josiesmithuk

Visit site
Hey,

Yes we use human hair clippers as trimmers for the tail, whiskers, feathers etc. They are a third of the price of a horsey set and I find they tend to keep sharper for longer.

x x

tye_bo

Visit site
I'd never thought of it before yesterday, I would have assumed they weren't up to the job and wouldn't be strong enough! Any recs for good ones?

Thanks!

Kenzo

Visit site
I know someone that did a trace clip on a TB with some barber clippers and I must say they made a dam good job of it too, dont think the horse had a thick coat though.

Magz

Visit site
I use human clippers for the polo ponies tails too.. as i think its just cruel to pull them and make them bleed... they are really good and work really well.... and as they say alot cheeper than horsie ones
smile.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
Whal clippers for humans are ok for clipping
smile.gif
The blades are not too dear either
smile.gif

My mate uses them to clip the ponies for the riding school and they always look smart and not liney!!

welshhunter64

Visit site
I know the question was about using human hair clippers on horses, but I successfully used a Liveryman Element trimmer to do blanket and full clips for 2 seasons before replacing the blade. I have since purchased a cordless Harmony clipper - amazing! A friend of mine used a human clipper on her spotlessly clean horse and found the blade to be blunt before finishing, though style and method could have a bearing on this. Stick to purpose designed clippers and all should be well.