Anyone use non-violent methods?

Tia

Visit site
No I do not think hitting is an appropriate or productive action for me to take on my horses; but I do not feel the right to push this opinion onto others. Just because I choose not to hit my horses doesn't mean I am right or wrong.....I just deal with mine differently from some others.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But a good beating keeps them on their toes doesn't it?

(and trembling in the corner of the box stops them getting fat).

[/ QUOTE ]

We come from the same school
tongue.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Daughters ponio had a stop in the jumping so we didn't give her a 'pat' or a polo when she came out. She got the message.

Son's ponio came up in a huge weal when he lightly tapped him once on the bum to make him step over. I was horrified as I saw him do it and couldn't believe how gently he'd tapped for the mark to appear. We'd be reported to everyone if he ever actually smacks him!

In fact, we don't even pat them as it's supposed to be understood as a slap. We scratch or rub them on the wither or neck to say well done.

A raised voice is ample for ours.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Daughters ponio had a stop in the jumping so we didn't give her a 'pat' or a polo when she came out. She got the message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm you are taking the mick here arn't you? How was a horse supposed to 'get ' any message given a few minutes after the event?
confused.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
???? Horses have got really bad memories. I find the beatings have to be immediate to be able to work!
That often works for OH’s as well.

Abs

Visit site
You misunderstand. The issue lies with the material you posted - it wasn't sourced (you would not provide the original source despite repeated requests) and there was no evidence to support what your post said had actually happened. Please read the note from HHO re defamatory posts which explains why your post had to be removed.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I do not bother with quarter marks I have weal marks from where I beat the crap out of my horse all the time. I can get some pretty good designs if I try hard enough.

NealW

Visit site

I was merely interested.

On other groups I have had the odd voice talking about horsemanship.

Hitting a horse is bad horsemanship and archaic practice. If you train a horse you can control it firmly without violence; that is a fact.

That no-one here seems to know that, speaks volumes.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Firstly... i dont know what archaic means.

Secondly... my horse raised i leg to me once ... she got a quick slap on it and she never did it again. did ihurt her ? no most probably not. but did the sound shock her enough no to kick me and cause possibly very bad damage to me? yes.

am i violent ? er ... no.

using whips ... if it was so cruel etc etc they would be banned. but as millions of people round the world use them, i think THAT speaks volumes Neal.

NealW

Visit site
I am writing a book about the human/horse interface and I am trying to discover more about modern horse handling practice to co-incide with the coming into force of the Animal Welfare Act early next year.
(Thanks for asking)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
oh my, i must be very primitive...had hit the dogs and horses, but only when they deserved and not hard.
have thrown a bucket and a pony who was being a complete b@$t*** to catch once. and hes fine

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
See now to me violence would be classed as....starving a horse....neglecting a horse....beating a horse (i dont mean hitting i mean beating)
I dont see hitting a horse in reprimand, giving it a growl or something like that as violent methods i see it as sensible methods, horses are big dangerous animals and they are all different i cannot stress that enough. Some horses respond to body language etc and never need to have a hand raised to them or a voice raised to them....however some horses are naturally dominant and only ever respond to being phyiscally reprimanded as they would be in the wild!!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
"I am writing a book about the human/horse interface and I am trying to discover more about modern horse handling practice to co-incide with the coming into force of the Animal Welfare Act early next year."

All I can say is that I hope you've got a damn good editor. Your grammar is awful.

I'm not entirely sure what you expected to achieve with your post other than to wind people up. And if winding people up was your intention then how do you marry that rather intolerant act with your message of peace, love and understanding with horses? You're never going to 'convert' people to your cause by insulting them first...

RLF

Visit site
Come study me Neal, i will whip you around for hours then you'll really understand how horses learn.

Well said gedenskis-girl

tamsinkb

Visit site
If you watch horses in the wild - or in a group situation - they maintain their own hierarchy using 'violent' discipline. A lead mare will nip a youngster sharply on the neck if it is out order and the leader of the herd will kick and/or bite to maintain discipline. I certainly don't advocate 'violence' but if my youngster tries to assert his authority , I will assert my authority back to him, and this has included a whack on the bottom when he's pinned me into the corner of the stable etc.
after all he now weighs 600kgs, and I om 'only' 73kgs( ! )

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
My point TKB !! I may be labled the crazy ladie who you can from from the yard *from the mange!* But i use my vocie to show my horse i'm not impressed, I will bite or slap a horse back if he hurt or didnt respect me.... am i crazy??

Right now I have a problem horse- Hes biggest problem is hes simply doesnt understand people in a pecking order... he may not try to be boss nor does he respect them as boss... If you were to tell him off he is striaght into 'Fright and flight' mode. I have cured him through natural horseman ship session but it is simpley me responing like a horse would if he'd shown his back end to them!

I think you have to understand a horse is far, far better off under you in the pecking order, after all does a horse trust the horse under him in the pecking order or above?!?

I'm not one for aids like martingales, spurs virgin! But this is my view not everybody elses.

I think you should leave the sight because you are really p!ssing some people off!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
and I quote...

As well as increasing the penalties for those who inflict the most serious offences, the Animal Welfare Act makes it a legal requirement for pet owners to do what is reasonable to provide for their animal's needs. These are:

a proper diet (food and water)

somewhere suitable to live

any need to be housed with or apart from other animals

allowing them to express normal behaviour

protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

The majority of pet owners will not need to change the way they care for their animals to comply with the new law when it comes into force in 2007 - most people already provide for their pet's needs. But the new law will help to tackle cases of ongoing neglect. For example in 2005 RSPCA inspectors found that 25,784 animals did not have access to water, 34,337 were not given suitable veterinary treatment and 33,308 did not have a clean environment.

I guess the bit that the OP was referrering to was protection from pain suffering and disease.....!!!

Pain and suffering as far as the welfare act is concerned does not apply to a slap here and there for bad or dangerous behaviour!! They are more concerned with neglect and deliberate infliction of non necessary pain and suffering....

Now F*** *FF you have never had your own horse, I suggest before deciding to accuse people of such things you get your own horse and do it the "eau natural" way. If you are lucky and get a horse dead from the neck down fine...but most horses are not like that.

If you study hard enough you may learn that a horse actually NEEDS boundaries from its "leader" ie its handler in order to make it feel secure and happy. If you dont set boundaries, a horse will suffer.

Trolls!